2022 Official NRL Thread (Spoilers/Rumours/Game Results/Discussions etc.)

I think you’ll find the speed of the game with the set restarts etc is a huge contributing factor in the injuries this year . Unless it just happens to be a coincidence that multiple players are being concussed etc .
These players have played a different game their entire careers and the speed will no doubt play a part , especially with the players nearing the end of their careers.
There definitely would be coincidences. But set restarts is the worst rule introduced in my memory. Another shocker is the removal of scrums after a kick into touch. Remember when it used to be a reward for hard work where you would kick into touch to give your team a well earned rest. The NRL need to stop tearing at the fabric of the game. While I’m at it, if we want fatigue, reduce the interchange to 4 or 6. Problem solved.

Last edited:
There definitely would be coincidences. But set restarts is the worst rule introduced in my memory. Another shocker is the removal of scrums after a kick into touch. Remember when it used to be a reward for hard work where you would kick into touch to give your team a well earned rest. The NRL need to stop tearing at the fabric of the game. While I’m at it, if we want fatigue, reduce the interchange to 4 or 6. Problem solved.
Right on,
Its really not rugby league any more.
Its now a game for who can whatever the fastest.
When i played it was 13 on the field and 2 reserves, no interchanges,
1 break, half time.
For 80 mins.

Can we please go back to last years Video ref rules please....... nothing worse than a player scoring a try, celebrating and then 2 minutes later the ref saying its now under review and then gets disallowed.

It's like the Mrs. giving you the signal and then coming to bed and she is asleep!

At least with the old rule....... you scored a try, then if the ref wasn't sure...... he referred it and you didn't go off too early....when awarded you celebrated but you never got your hopes up too high.

Hate the new rule.

Can we please go back to last years Video ref rules please....... nothing worse than a player scoring a try, celebrating and then 2 minutes later the ref saying its now under review and then gets disallowed.

It's like the Mrs. giving you the signal and then coming to bed and she is asleep!

At least with the old rule....... you scored a try, then if the ref wasn't sure...... he referred it and you didn't go off too early....when awarded you celebrated but you never got your hopes up too high.

Hate the new rule.
Even worse when you’ve got a multi on the result and you also start celebrating only to kick the lounge

Thoughts on the new rules?
I think it is necessary to punish illegal play appropriately however I believe the NRL are just trying to get ahead if the inevitable concussion law suits.

That last penalty to Walker was a disgrace though, gave Souths the win.

Thoughts on the new rules?
I think it is necessary to punish illegal play appropriately however I believe the NRL are just trying to get ahead if the inevitable concussion law suits.

That last penalty to Walker was a disgrace though, gave Souths the win.
Absolute joke and will ruin the game as is . The penalty to Walker wasn’t a penalty in any era .
My son played today under 12s and the refs had got a memo from the nrl to enforce the same rules .
They were over doing it as well.
I understand the need to protect players but this isn’t the way .

Yep, the game is really on struggle street with rules, interpretations etc. I can’t blame the refs, just doing what they told.

Papa high shot, can’t argue with a send off, direct contact with the head. Wighton sin bin, debatable. Certainly a dumb play, as long as they are consistent in this area.

Yeah refs just doing what their told . My sons team is winning the competition and haven’t had a point scored against them . They played the team coming last today and they had 2 players taken off and had no reserves. So was 13 against 11.My boys team won 44-0 . Not sure how that’s good for junior football . The high shots were nothing as well. We’re lucky to even be a penalty. Actually felt bad for the poor kids .

Union has been like this for a while. Any contact with head and you’re out for weeks basically.

This rule interpretation will definitely cost teams the game so they will learn.

Only down side is when you get blokes like Tedesco who fall nearly every tackle and poor bloke hits him high, think there should be some leeway for this instance if its not deliberate where they are not binned or sent off

Union has been like this for a while. Any contact with head and you’re out for weeks basically.

This rule interpretation will definitely cost teams the game so they will learn.

Only down side is when you get blokes like Tedesco who fall nearly every tackle and poor bloke hits him high, think there should be some leeway for this instance if its not deliberate where they are not binned or sent off
most definetly with teddy.
It will not be long before all players are made to wear headgear, it will be written into NRL contracts.

Head gear does nothing to stop concussion.
There is argument, out of NFL, helmets magnify concussion. Soccer is looking to ban the header.
AFL actually has one of the higher incidences of concussion in Australia too.

Don’t hit high. Simple.
In fairyland that would work but not in the real world . Not sure if you’ve ever played league and especially at the speed it’s played now cause I know I haven’t . But it’s pretty obvious that there is going to be contact with the head occasionally with the speed of the game, especially sliding up off shoulders and when players are falling . The rubbish has been ruled out over the last few years and it’s just an unfortunate accident that you will never stop , but if players are sent off or to the bin like this weekend we will ruin the game beyond repair .
Gordon Tallis said it best when he said we have introduced rules to speed up the game and need to deal with the consequences.

79C936FB-3CF5-4EA6-84DD-E37679CFF936.jpeg

I agree with you as my boy plays now and I dont want to ever see him get concussed ,but where is the benefit of tackling like that in the modern game . Players get a quick play the ball and a roll on . The NRL had created this problem. Maybe let defensive lines re-set after a leg tackle ? I don’t think that’s the answer either ?

I agree with you as my boy plays now and I dont want to ever see him get concussed ,but where is the benefit of tackling like that in the modern game . Players get a quick play the ball and a roll on . The NRL had created this problem. Maybe let defensive lines re-set after a leg tackle ? I don’t think that’s the answer either ?

Good point. We need to irradiate high contact from the game but need to be careful and consistent in the adjudication for in game penalties (sinbin / send off). A good legs tackle is not rewarded anymore.

The rules allow an attacker to fight so long and have made the ruck such a crucial part of the game that you need to win it to be a chance.

Do we limit how many tacklers allowed in a tackle?

When questioned about Wighton’s sinbin Stuart said if Wighton didn’t chop those legs he was not doing his job as coached and trying to win the ruck. Now I am not excusing Wighton’s tackle, it was dangerous but if that is how the game has been played for so long how do you effect change so quickly?

Good point. We need to irradiate high contact from the game but need to be careful and consistent in the adjudication for in game penalties (sinbin / send off). A good legs tackle is not rewarded anymore.

The rules allow an attacker to fight so long and have made the ruck such a crucial part of the game that you need to win it to be a chance.

Do we limit how many tacklers allowed in a tackle?

When questioned about Wighton’s sinbin Stuart said if Wighton didn’t chop those legs he was not doing his job as coached and trying to win the ruck. Now I am not excusing Wighton’s tackle, it was dangerous but if that is how the game has been played for so long how do you effect change so quickly?
Its becoming a game for pussies. it will be like afl soon, not allowed to tackle.
Might as well play touch,
Wonder if they will drop the salary cap then.
For f u c k sake it is full on contact sport.
I got concussed 3 times in 1 game.
Mind you , that was a long time ago.
Nufin rong wif meee.

Back
Top Bottom