2022 Official NRL Thread (Spoilers/Rumours/Game Results/Discussions etc.)

And just now is an example as to why the NRL needs to review the shoulder charge. Rapana’s wasn’t a shoulder charge, lead with the hip but stopping a player like Sivo that close to the line, you can’t do it with a conventional charge.

How did the bunker rule Brown onside for the Eels second try? He wasn’t passive, was within a metre of the challenge for the ball, and then was almost a decoy for the offload.

And just now is an example as to why the NRL needs to review the shoulder charge. Rapana’s wasn’t a shoulder charge, lead with the hip but stopping a player like Sivo that close to the line, you can’t do it with a conventional charge.

How did the bunker rule Brown onside for the Eels second try? He wasn’t passive, was within a metre of the challenge for the ball, and then was almost a decoy for the offload.
Brendan - I’ve followed the game since the late 70s so I think I’ve got a fair idea of the game. I used to think Perenara was just plain incompetent and/or he has a deep dislike of the Raiders (probably because if the coach), however I think it’s worse than that with him…….I won’t say the word but there has been too many obviously incorrect decisions by him when officiating Raiders matches. It used to be on the field but now he’s trying to decide our fate from the box. The first Sivo try was doubtful, but given. But missing a player offside when he’s directly next to the kicker and has numerous replays to see it……..can’t explain that one. He must have hated seeing Rapana not make contact with his shoulder for the last try!!!😂😂😂

Brendan - I’ve followed the game since the late 70s so I think I’ve got a fair idea of the game. I used to think Perenara was just plain incompetent and/or he has a deep dislike of the Raiders (probably because if the coach), however I think it’s worse than that with him…….I won’t say the word but there has been too many obviously incorrect decisions by him when officiating Raiders matches. It used to be on the field but now he’s trying to decide our fate from the box. The first Sivo try was doubtful, but given. But missing a player offside when he’s directly next to the kicker and has numerous replays to see it……..can’t explain that one. He must have hated seeing Rapana not make contact with his shoulder for the last try!!!😂😂😂
just my opinion,
Rapana had no intention of making a legal tackle, players in the past have been sent off for it.
I dont follow either team.
That should have been a penalty try to parra, and rapana sent off.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with anything that is a no arms tackle. Whilst perhaps not illegal in the game rules, it allowed Rapana to launch hip-first into Sivo for maximum damage. Not dissimilar to the reason the shoulder charge is illegal. Sivo would have scored that if Rapana made a regulation tackle attempt.

Still, makes up for the Brown offside ruling. The bunker seem to be incapable of having the smarts to look outside the 'obvious.' A couple of weeks ago Mulitalo passed after being tackled with both arms on the ground for quite some time against the Warriors. The pass led to a Warriors knock on. The bunker looked at it over and over to rule on the knock on without seeing the obvious that Mulitalo had been well and truly tackled. It had no impact on the game, which was well gone at that point, but it is really worrying that they can be oblivious to the super obvious. The Brown offside was the same; it couldn't have been more obvious.

Last edited:
just my opinion,
Rapana had no intention of making a legal tackle, players in the past have been sent off for it.
I dont follow either team.
That should have been a penalty try to parra, and rapana sent off.
It is hard to argue that the tackle was potentially dangerous but in that circumstance, there is no way a conventional attempt at a tackle would have been effective. Most players and coaches have a good understanding of what they can get away with these days and I guess you put this down to footy smarts. I remember when Sivo ran over the top of Teddy last year. He put the big bumpers up and while not illegal, the impact caused Teddy to hit his head so hard on the ground he was concussed for weeks. Should shoulder charges be allowed when preventing a try with the caveat that any illegal contact is an automatic send off and suspension?

I'm pretty uncomfortable with anything that is a no arms tackle. Whilst perhaps not illegal in the game rules, it allowed Rapana to launch hip-first into Sivo for maximum damage. Not dissimilar to the reason the shoulder charge is illegal. Sivo would have scored that if Rapana made a regulation tackle attempt.

Still, makes up for the Brown offside ruling. The bunker seem to be incapable of having the smarts to look outside the 'obvious.' A couple of weeks ago Mulitalo passed after being tackled with both arms on the ground for quite some time against the Warriors. The pass led to a Warriors knock on. The bunker looked at it over and over to rule on the knock on without seeing the obvious that Mulitalo had been well and truly tackled. It had no impact on the game, which was well gone at that point, but it is really worrying that they can be oblivious to the super obvious. The Brown offside was the same; it couldn't have been more obvious.
Absolutely, no way a conventional tackle stops that try. I actually don't recall seeing a body check quite like it, Sivo is not a small bloke.

The bunker just do my head in, sometimes they overlook the most obvious things

Absolutely, no way a conventional tackle stops that try. I actually don't recall seeing a body check quite like it, Sivo is not a small bloke.

The bunker just do my head in, sometimes they overlook the most obvious things
right on , if they wish to continue with the bunker, they really need a job discription to stop all the bullshit calls, it really is a joke.

It is hard to argue that the tackle was potentially dangerous but in that circumstance, there is no way a conventional attempt at a tackle would have been effective. Most players and coaches have a good understanding of what they can get away with these days and I guess you put this down to footy smarts. I remember when Sivo ran over the top of Teddy last year. He put the big bumpers up and while not illegal, the impact caused Teddy to hit his head so hard on the ground he was concussed for weeks. Should shoulder charges be allowed when preventing a try with the caveat that any illegal contact is an automatic send off and suspension?
There was nothing wrong with that tackle . People are just angry because parra were meant to win it and they didn’t 🤣. As for Henry , terrible ref and just as bad in the bunker . He hated the sharks as well. Would love to know the records for teams he’s been involved with out of interest?

He hates Storm, my theory has always been that he's bitter on missing out on the good times (he played in 01 and 02 the two worst in Storm history)

The inconsistency is still appalling in so many aspects of the game.

How Flegler not get sent? Should have been a penalty try also, he scored that if he doesn’t get his head taken off.

The two obstructions in the Storm / Cows game, terrible. At least it was one each.

Mitchell’s contact with Walsh post try. That was an 8 pointer the other week (which it shouldn’t have been). The contact was minimal but he could have avoided him easily.

Human error / perspective aside, they just have to work out some consistency.

That’s my point . Would always speak terrible and give blatant rubbish calls . When I would see his name in the paper I would know we were in trouble
And I just heard that it was Henry who called back both tries in the Storm v Cows.

I know he is crook but how many stuff ups before he gets the hook?

Bit late to the party as always but.......

The only reason Rapana's tackle wasn't a shoulder charge is because he missed him. His arm was tucked into the body and he was leading with the shoulder his intention was to shoulder charge him.

Like others have said no arms no tackle and IMO should have been a penalty try, yet it was Footy Karma because Brown was off side and yes Henry loves a controversial decision.

1627427933469.png

Ross

Bit late to the party as always but.......

The only reason Rapana's tackle wasn't a shoulder charge is because he missed him. His arm was tucked into the body and he was leading with the shoulder his intention was to shoulder charge him.

Like others have said no arms no tackle and IMO should have been a penalty try, yet it was Footy Karma because Brown was off side and yes Henry loves a controversial decision.

1627427933469.png

Ross
Yes, yes, yes Ross.

I know the warriors have lost a few players due to injury , but geez the Tigers and Warriors are lucky we don’t have relegation in the Nrl after that game . Worst performance from a bunch of professionals I’ve seen all year . I feel so sorry for Madge , you can’t blame a coach for that rubbish .

1. RTS
2. Fusitu'a
3. Berry
4. Hiku (playing but first game back since round 3)
5. Ratuva
6. Harris-Tavita
7. Townsend
8. Fonua-Blake
9. Egan
10. Lodge
11. Curran
12. Murchie
13. Harris
14. Ah Mau
15. Ale
16. Frei

Are the players injured or unavailable for the Warriors this week (story of the season on top of not living at home for the best part of two years). 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14 and potentially 6 are first choice players (almost all of the Elite 21 checklist)! They couldn't even name a full team list for this game and had Sticky and Hook ringing up offering loan players. I'm pretty proud of what they produced tonight with a healthy contingent of reserve graders, several players in unfamiliar positions and boys. The last 10 minutes were the most entertaining of the NRL season, pure comedy gold :rofl:

I think Madge might have some problems, but I'm pretty happy with where the Warriors are heading next year after a tough couple of years. They probably won't be able to have the preseason together again next year though.

Last edited:
Yep I'm sure the end of the season cant come quick enough for the Warriors. They have been outstanding for 2 years and I know some of the teenage girls here on the coast will miss the boys as well.

I just hope they are allowed straight back in rather than having to wait until December like it has been suggested.

I must say though I struggle to understand why they let RTS go or even why he wanted to go, yes it reportedly saves them a little bit on salary cap but as a Captain wouldn't he want to go down with the ship?

Ross

Yep I'm sure the end of the season cant come quick enough for the Warriors. They have been outstanding for 2 years and I know some of the teenage girls here on the coast will miss the boys as well.

I just hope they are allowed straight back in rather than having to wait until December like it has been suggested.

I must say though I struggle to understand why they let RTS go or even why he wanted to go, yes it reportedly saves them a little bit on salary cap but as a Captain wouldn't he want to go down with the ship?

Ross
I know what you’re saying , but Roger has gone down with that ship his entire time at the warriors . If they all had the effort he did they may of had different results . He sacrificed a few GFs by going to the warriors. I know he was paid well for it, but still a sacrifice .
The poor Tigers are another issue altogether. Documentary on fox about the Tigers called Wild West , Tales from Tiger Town if anyone is interested 🤣

Ross

From what I believe he and Ah Mau didn't want to go. RTS risked voiding the terms of his contract with NZRU which was due to start immediately after the NRL season (he wasn't having an off-season, crazy bugger). The issue isn't the travel bubble, it is the extremely long wait lists on managed isolation facilities, which are already booked until Nov/December even at this stage.

In addition he has very young children here in NZ. Given the Warriors get 300k of his contract back and can continue to bed his replacement in, it was pretty amicable all around.

For what it is worth I think losing RTS next year is a net gain for the Warriors. His contract was silly money for his return and they have effectively cashed it in for Shaun Johnson, Reece Walsh and Matt Lodge combined.

Back
Top Bottom