2022 Official NRL Thread (Spoilers/Rumours/Game Results/Discussions etc.)

A

I know people like stats but Johnson played half a year , find me a Sharks fan that would give him a wrap and I’d be surprised. Goal kicking has been amateur at best .
As for indiscretions, it was my belief they stopped taking that into account years ago . Save the charity stories for another award . He also won a Churchill medal in a losing team that was controversial.
Also if you look at the top 5 dally m points on each team that tells the story .
Papali was the next best for Canberra with 7 points I believe .
Did any dragons, get any points, i wouldbe surprised

Playing in a solid team where several players poll points during the season can definitely dint your chances of winning
4893191C-AC0E-42A3-B804-A575DF5FED83.jpeg
C314DC55-3802-4C4F-B075-110564B7222B.jpeg

According to this Josh Papalii is a 7 point player and Shaun Johnson is a 18 point player .
Id happily trade Johnson for Papalii and would throw in Matt Moylan 😂.
Also did anyone notice Kotoni Staggs got the centre spot with 1 point ?
Definitely needs a overhaul .

I think he meant to say crap not cap.
You don’t sign 2 seperate contracts and get boats delivered to your house under standard contracts . You’d be naive to think they all don’t do it but this was different and for him to never address the 2 contracts is what left a bad taste .

You don’t sign 2 seperate contracts and get boats delivered to your house under standard contracts . You’d be naive to think they all don’t do it but this was different and for him to never address the 2 contracts is what left a bad taste .
One could argue the same with Gallen and the Sharks side not knowing what they where putting in there bodies and just “doing what they are told”? Horses for courses 😉

🍿😉

Whatever happen to the good old brown paper bag.
I know, it cost to much to make 1 these days, its easier to get a plastic 1.

Jury discharged in De Belin trial. I wonder if DPP will go again or discontinue the proceeding?
I personally believe the judge should have thrown it out, the number of times the defence were able to call out the alleged victim on lying throughout her statement. Makes her look very untrustworthy and lied about the whole thing especially when you're getting bug details wrong.

I personally believe the judge should have thrown it out, the number of times the defence were able to call out the alleged victim on lying throughout her statement. Makes her look very untrustworthy and lied about the whole thing especially when you're getting bug details wrong.

The judge can’t throw it out. The judge is essentially a referee at law and will keep both the defence and crown in line, provide a detailed summary and provide advice to the jury on points of law and answer any questions that the jury has. The only way a judge can end a trial without a jury verdict is if there is a mistrial.

I haven’t followed any of the evidence given but if the victim has credibility issues then the judge would have mentioned that to the jury in the summary.

A consent based defence seems easy enough to comprehend but is actually far more complex. Sexual assault trials should be judge only IMO.

The judge can’t throw it out. The judge is essentially a referee at law and will keep both the defence and crown in line, provide a detailed summary and provide advice to the jury on points of law and answer any questions that the jury has. The only way a judge can end a trial without a jury verdict is if there is a mistrial.

I haven’t followed any of the evidence given but if the victim has credibility issues then the judge would have mentioned that to the jury in the summary.

A consent based defence seems easy enough to comprehend but is actually far more complex. Sexual assault trials should be judge only IMO.
And in other news,
Ringling bros circus will be back in a town close to you soon.

https://www.victimsservices.justice...ity of jurors,second trial, with another jury. Based on this a judge can retire a case or if they have sufficient evidence can dismiss the case even on a hung jury. Very rare to happen but still within a judge's role. The judge did end the trial and called a mistrial due to an impassable deadlock with the jury. After two days of deliberation, three times they came back with a deadlock and couldn't even reach a majority (11-1) verdict either.

https://www.victimsservices.justice...ity of jurors,second trial, with another jury. Based on this a judge can retire a case or if they have sufficient evidence can dismiss the case even on a hung jury. Very rare to happen but still within a judge's role. The judge did end the trial and called a mistrial due to an impassable deadlock with the jury. After two days of deliberation, three times they came back with a deadlock and couldn't even reach a majority (11-1) verdict either.

Here we go again.

The charges can’t be ‘thrown’ out or dismissed by a Judge mid-trial as you suggested. The ‘not guilty’ direction that can be given to the jury is after the crown have closed and the Judge believes that the crown has not proved the elements of the offence and there is a defect in the evidence.

This is exceptionally rare as a directed acquittal allows the crown to appeal the verdict.

Have you read the court transcripts? Did you listen to the complainant and other crown witnesses testimony? Have you got a copy of the brief? I think it would be very difficult to make a decision to ‘throw’ the charges out without reviewing all of these materials and listening to the testimony. Clearly the Judge thought the verdict was a question for the jury which suggests that there is some evidence supportive of the allegations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom