2019/20 cricket cards

I have also heard it almost if not already sold out

Woolworths have taken a majority of the stock and the rest was put aside for resellers. Given how sales are for the previous releases in Woolworths stores I can see a lot being potentially returned or dumped at a discount.

One driver for Cricket sales is IP collectors wanting base sets to go and get autos from the players at training/games etc.

If these are released after both Test Series are completed and almost at the end of the BBL season, people wont bother, they will pick up team sets during footy season for cheap and get them signed next year.

Regards
Matt

I know it's been said already but each year the cricket cards get release far too late, you would think the process could be started earlier to combat this. But it seems each year it's getting later and later, and enthusiasm for collecting has nearly turned to AFL by that stage. Not doing themselves any favours at all here.

I know it's been said already but each year the cricket cards get release far too late, you would think the process could be started earlier to combat this. But it seems each year it's getting later and later, and enthusiasm for collecting has nearly turned to AFL by that stage. Not doing themselves any favours at all here.

yep they have to come out earlier, but one problem for them is the fact that the BBL squads keep getting finalised later and later, most teams only now finalising, which for some of the low key players doesnt really matter but perth scorchers only recently announced chris jordan, renegades recently shinwari (who it looks like they will need to replace) and hurricances david miller

Here is the latest from Tap & Play...

Dear Customers,
I am aware you have been wondering about the final delivery date for the Cricket Cards this year. My sincere apologies for the delay.
Over the past five months Tap’N’Play have been working with Cricket Australia in good faith to develop the 2019-20 Cricket Card series for release whilst finalising the terms of our new license contract, but we have experienced delays in bringing the set and contract together within our preferred time frame.
The contracts are now signed and we are finalising production of the set in Australia, but are now hampered by Christmas production close downs.
CA have approved a joint statement with us explaining the delay, that they want published on SM this Friday. This statement includes CA and Tap’N'Play will work together to ensure this series delay is a “one-off” and future Cricket Card releases will be available at the start of each season.”
I appreciate many pre-sale buyers were wanting delivery for Christmas and it upsets me that I can’t do this. I am truly sorry and have done all I can to have the product released promptly, given the constraints. Happy for you to call me if we need to work something out - 0427 562 967.
HOWEVER, what I will offer you and all PRE-SALE orders (placed up until Christmas Day) with 20% more packs of cards than ordered when shipped around 2-3rd week of Jan - therefore:
  • if you ordered a case of 10 boxes - you receive 2 free boxes
  • if you order a box of 36 packs - you receive 7 free packs and so forth...
As we have almost sold our case allocation (7 to go), I have spoken with Woolworths and are taking the 12 cases of bonus stock out of their allocation.
I will have a firm release date very soon that I will send to all and publish on Facebook.
I wish you all a Merry Christmas and GREATLY appreciate your support over the the past year.
Regards
Neil Armstrong

You raise some very good points.

I am unsure if contract negotiations could have been started earlier but if possible it certainly would have been a good idea as you are right, bringing out the sets later and later will just kill the demand and what @Matt26 said about IP Signature collectors is also true.

I want so much for the Cricket Cards production to be profitable for Tap n Play but the market does not seem to be there, especially when the release date is the 3rd week of January 😮

All I can say is if you want Cricket Cards to continue to be produced then support Tap n Play by jumping on board and buying a box or two when they come out.....hopefully they will be worth the wait!

J
You raise some very good points.

I am unsure if contract negotiations could have been started earlier but if possible it certainly would have been a good idea as you are right, bringing out the sets later and later will just kill the demand and what @Matt26 said about IP Signature collectors is also true.

I want so much for the Cricket Cards production to be profitable for Tap n Play but the market does not seem to be there, especially when the release date is the 3rd week of January 😮

All I can say is if you want Cricket Cards to continue to be produced then support Tap n Play by jumping on board and buying a box or two when they come out.....hopefully they will be worth the wait!

I've done my bit - I've ordered a couple of cases as a late Xmas present to myself... I love the cards, and the break/mail days, for me the value of collecting doesn't lay in the dollar value, but the ohh-ahh factor, especially with the sigs and limited editions. I love seeing our young kids have that same reaction, especially when they get a card of a player they really like or know personally. Knowing a little about corporations, someone higher up than TNP is pulling the strings for the mighty $$, and TNP is the conduit for the people and get the negative press for release dates etc. Although I agree, the late release date sucks, but TNP can only work with what they have at the time of publishing or printing. Signings are still happening now, so then how does that affect team sets, lists and so on. I don't believe it's lack of planning on TNPs part, but the higher ups, which then, unfortunately turns into an emergency from a TNP perspective... I'm no expert though, and I'm just surmising.

With the players signing so late - it’s not necessarily the case. Often the deals are done long ago which Cricket Australia are well aware of. The clubs stagger the announcements and often leave some late to gather momentum leading into the BBL.

I remember the one year TNP released the cards early ie before the BBL started and I got someone to sign a card at a shield game. They commented “how did you get this? It hasn’t even been announced I signed with them yet”.

So unless there are late changes it should be ok - hopefully for next season to get them out a lot earlier.

We all need to support TNP, or the likelihood of no cards at all will be a reality.

As much as I love collecting cricket cards I can’t cope the heavy discount of the boxes,Bradman sets etc after paying top $$$ also the amount of high end tapnplay cards with no redemptions out there.
I love my collecting and have done now for 35+yrs but every season there seems to be a delay etc but in saying that they have had a couple of great sets to collect so one would hope they get it right for next season as the last few years have been problem after problem

Woolworths have taken a majority of the stock and the rest was put aside for resellers. Given how sales are for the previous releases in Woolworths stores I can see a lot being potentially returned or dumped at a discount.

I'd be really surprised to hear that Woolworths has bought back in if the last release bombed in store. I've worked with grocery retailers as a wholesaler and they are absolutely ruthless when it comes to performance and sell-through. They have no hesitations on cutting something loose if it isn't performing.

I'd be really surprised to hear that Woolworths has bought back in if the last release bombed in store. I've worked with grocery retailers as a wholesaler and they are absolutely ruthless when it comes to performance and sell-through. They have no hesitations on cutting something loose if it isn't performing.

Woolworths are a Major Sponsor of Cricket Australia and that there would be a Signed Agreement in place between both parties I don't know what the Contract contains but one would have to assume that there is a Clause in there Agreement that relates to Merchandise. As the Cards produced by Tap N Play fall under the category of Merchandise I would assume that Woolworths are bound by the Sponsorship Agreement to sell the cards and other Officially Licenced Products that Cricket Australia have a Licence attached to.

I made no mention of them being bound to put up BBL displays. It is my assumption that there may well be a Clause in the Contract that deals with Merchandise which includes Cricket Cards.

I made no mention of them being bound to put up BBL displays. It is my assumption that there may well be a Clause in the Contract that deals with Merchandise which includes Cricket Cards.

My point was...Woolworths could care less about cricket. And that's all I will say.

1576463122315.png

I would estimate a minimum of 4 weeks until delivery if the cards are still in the design stage as mentioned.

Dependant on the print run it usually takes a couple of weeks of printing, then packaging, quality control and collation then delivery to customers.

Given that Christmas is approaching and most places shut down from the end of this week until mid January I would anticipate people will see stock very late January or early February is my guess.

1576463122315.png

I would estimate a minimum of 4 weeks until delivery if the cards are still in the design stage as mentioned.

Dependant on the print run it usually takes a couple of weeks of printing, then packaging, quality control and collation then delivery to customers.

Given that Christmas is approaching and most places shut down from the end of this week until mid January I would anticipate people will see stock very late January or early February is my guess.

Lucky I don‘t collect AFL cards anymore as they come out in March don’t they?

Lucky I don‘t collect AFL cards anymore as they come out in March don’t they?

I think so (same as NRL) so it means that retailers will have about a month (February) to sell their stock until people lose interest and start collecting the various football codes.

You look at the upcoming schedule:

The BBL ends in early Feb.

Then Australian Mens Team is in India and South Africa after the Sydney Test and will only play 3 ODI's in March vs NZ.

So the product will be out and there will be little domestic cricket happening to help drive sales!

If there was ever a year to have the release out early, this was it!

All very bizarre, but like all TnP releases...more twists and turns than a corkscrew.
I do feel sorry for the people who have outlaid their hard earned coin for the physical release based on the earlier pre-sale details.

As per TnP's earlier announcement, the digital version of the release became available on Sat 14/12 via their TnP app. I spent some time on Sat evening and Sunday opening the virtual packs for the digital "cards". There were clearly some QA issues evident and I see the app no longer allows access to that release & no ability to play any of the games (just a spinning circle of death!).

I jotted down the checklist of base cards based on the digital release and that is attached in PDF format for anyone interested.
(I also have it in excel format, but can't seem to load that version - issue with the file extension. If anyone knows how to upload an excel version to the site let me know.)

Kicking myself for not jotting down some of the other 'insert' subsets, but attached is an image of the 'Ten T20 Tons' subset. [Nice to see Craig Simmons recognised for those incredible knocks at the WACA].

Anyway, make what you will of the checklist. For me some noticeable omissions of some of the earlier pre-season signings (i.e. S. Marsh, N. Coulter-Nile), but you can form your own views.

Also on the checklist I have made some notes about the digital released 'cards' based on my own experience.

Hopefully the inability to access the digital 'cards' for this release is only temporary.

IMG_1841.jpg

Attachments

• CA_BBL_19-20.pdf
    531.2 KB · Views: 238
Back
Top Bottom