2018 Select Footy Stars

Jordan Lewis is due to reach 300 this year as well, so cue more Hawthorn outrage next year when his card has him in Melbourne colours.

What do you mean by 'more' outrage from Hawks fans? When have we been disappointed about a 300 games case card?
Lewis played 264 games, 4 premierships, an AA and a best and fairest at the Hawks, he'll play 36 serviceable games at the Dee's. He still needs 17 games to get there and with his ageing body and MRP record he might need 2019.
I wish players players like Burgoyne, Dal Santo, Ablett and Goddard could be featured in both team colours. And if that means Select have to wait until after they finish their careers then that's ok by me.

Just had a look at the checklist and there is not one single Gary Ablett card. At the bare minimum there has to be a Ablett Brownlow Predictor card!! FFS there is a Zac Smith Brownlow predictor card. Don't get me wrong I love Zac Smith but the day he wins the Brownlow I'll eat my entire footy card collection.

Just had a look at the checklist and there is not one single Gary Ablett card. At the bare minimum there has to be a Ablett Brownlow Predictor card!! FFS there is a Zac Smith Brownlow predictor card. Don't get me wrong I love Zac Smith but the day he wins the Brownlow I'll eat my entire footy card collection.
I'm sure he'll feature in Series 2. Problem being, pictures are from 2017 and they don't have any pics of him in Geelong gear. It's extremely rare to get players who moved in Series 1.

I’m also disappointed about this too. I understand they use last years images, but they managed to get Dangerfield a BP in 2016 his first year at the cats. Series two better be special.

There is one actually!! A b/f card for suns

Can someone explain Selex to me. Adelaide have two cards but Melbourne have nine.

Is this just a random assortment of young players, or is there some logic to the players included?

Can someone explain Selex to me. Adelaide have two cards but Melbourne have nine.

Is this just a random assortment of young players, or is there some logic to the players included?

Could it have something to do with the Crows having a lot of milestone game cards? Haven’t seen how many Melbourne players have milestones. Assuming that all clubs would have the same amount of cards?

Could it have something to do with the Crows having a lot of milestone game cards? Haven’t seen how many Melbourne players have milestones. Assuming that all clubs would have the same amount of cards?
Team ------------Selex ----Milestone -----Total
Fremantle ----------9 -----------8 ----------17
Nth Melbourne -----9 -----------7 ----------16
Brisbane ----------10 -----------5 ----------15
Geelong ------------6 -----------9 ----------15
Melbourne ---------9 -----------5 ----------14
Richmond ----------9 -----------5 ----------14
Gold Coast ---------8 -----------5 ----------13
GWS ---------------4 -----------9 ----------13
Port Adelaide ------3 ----------10 ----------13
West Coast --------5 -----------8 ----------13
Hawthorn ----------4 -----------8 ----------12
Carlton -----------10 -----------1 ----------11
Sydney ------------6 -----------5 ----------11
Adelaide -----------2 -----------8 ----------10
St Kilda ------------4 -----------6 ----------10
West. Bulldogs ----7 -----------3 ----------10
Essendon ----------4 -----------5 -----------9
Collingwood -------2 -----------5 -----------7

hey thanks for the stats it makes interesting reading. and i always like lists that have essendon and collingwood on the bottom. lol :p:cry::cry:

Have only looked at Melbourne Selex cards, but the oldest player is Christian Salem at 22 yrs, 7 mths. That excludes Jayden Hunt (22,10) and Jesse Hogan (23,0), so there is a very arbitrary cut off somewhere here.

Melbourne have 12 players, including Salem, who are 22 yrs, 7 mths or younger and who have played AFL games. 9 of these have Selex cards. The three exceptions are Jake Lever and Harley Balic, who are both new to the club this year and presumably Select won't photoshop jumpers on to them, and Joel Smith who has only played 3 games.

Adelaide's two cards are Riley Knight (22,10) and Wayne Milera (20,5). Matt Crouch is younger than Knight but doesn't get a card. They have a couple of other players, O'Brien & Gallucci, with a couple of games between them.

So it seems as though Selex cards are based on:
1. Being 22.5 or younger (with a couple of exceptions)
2. Playing at least 6 and no more than 50 games, again presumably with some exceptions
3. Select having a photo of you in team colours
4. Select know who you are

All in all a strange insert for me. What's the point of celebrating the best young players in the comp if you are excluding players like Lever because he is at a new club?

All in all a strange insert for me. What's the point of celebrating the best young players in the comp if you are excluding players like Lever because he is at a new club?
Yeah, not quite sure of the point behind it.

Why not the best 6 young players from every club? Set would be basically the same size, and evened out.

Saints have 4 (Acres, Gresham, Lonie and Steele). To make it 6, add McCartin and Sinclair. The only card between either of those 2 is a Sinclair die-cut!

Wow never seen this before, was it an error by Select, or marketing genius?
oh yeah prices are ridiculous $800 - $1500.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom