2019 Official NRL Thread (Spoilers/Rumours/Game Results/Discussions etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the Women's NRL starts soon and the NSWRL Women's Rugby League GF is on tonight at ANZ (Go Souths!!!)...but my wife has a couple of players for the Roosters in her work place. She's able to give them flexibility to work and play but they were effusive in their thanks as many of their team mates haven't been afforded the same (for a six week period) and have had to quit jobs or lost them out right.

In Women in League Round, take a second to think about all the sacrifices these women are making to be pioneers.

Good luck to each and every one!!!

I know the Women's NRL starts soon and the NSWRL Women's Rugby League GF is on tonight at ANZ (Go Souths!!!)...but my wife has a couple of players for the Roosters in her work place. She's able to give them flexibility to work and play but they were effusive in their thanks as many of their team mates haven't been afforded the same (for a six week period) and have had to quit jobs or lost them out right.

In Women in League Round, take a second to think about all the sacrifices these women are making to be pioneers.

Well siad, i can't wait for the double- header womens premiership games during the finals, should be good comp with shared balance of rep and local players in each team

Thought you were talking about the Anzacs for a minute lol

RTS 338 metres tonight. He does this stuff week in, week out. A couple of fullbacks have done some consistently flashy stuff this year, but RTS's all round game including the tough, unfashionable stuff is epic. Often on a heavy Mt Smart track too. If he doesn't get Dally M fullback of the year then they have made the wrong decision.

RTS 338 metres tonight. He does this stuff week in, week out. A couple of fullbacks have done some consistently flashy stuff this year, but RTS's all round game including the tough, unfashionable stuff is epic. Often on a heavy Mt Smart track too. If he doesn't get Dally M fullback of the year then they have made the wrong decision.
Have to disagree when comparing all stats Tedesco at the moment edges RTS out for Dally M fullback of the year.

Tedesco Stats- 19 Appearances, 8 Tries. Attack- 7TA, 12LB, 118 TBs, Passing receipts 478. Defence- 102 Tackes made, 22 missed tackles= 74.6% efficient. Running- tot 3461m, avg 182.2m.

RTS Stats- 19 Appearances, 2 Tries. Attack- 7 TA, 12 LB, 100 TBs, Passing receipts 562. Defence- 55 tackles made, 38 missed tackles= 58.4% efficient. Running- tot 3485m, avg 183.4m (however was over more carries)

Have to disagree when comparing all stats Tedesco at the moment edges RTS out for Dally M fullback of the year.

Tedesco Stats- 19 Appearances, 8 Tries. Attack- 7TA, 12LB, 118 TBs, Passing receipts 478. Defence- 102 Tackes made, 22 missed tackles= 74.6% efficient. Running- tot 3461m, avg 182.2m.

RTS Stats- 19 Appearances, 2 Tries. Attack- 7 TA, 12 LB, 100 TBs, Passing receipts 562. Defence- 55 tackles made, 38 missed tackles= 58.4% efficient. Running- tot 3485m, avg 183.4m (however was over more carries)

Fair enough to a point, and Tedesco is an incredible asset to the Roosters.

Always variables in this stuff though. For one RTS goal line defence has been amazing this year and the single biggest improvement he has made in 2018, yet his effective tackle stat of 58% would say the opposite.

Variables like playing behind a less effective forward pack, and let's face it the Roosters are a better team in general as the 160odd points differential would show, playing on a heavier track (don't underestimate the Allianz factor), easier draw - the Warriors play the Dogs, Sea Eagles, Tigers, Eels and Knights only once in 2018, etc

Personally, I think the value their fullback play is bringing to their sides is far more even that stats would show, but I am a very one-sided fan! I also have to admit I was thinking more of the pretty fullbacks than the all-rounders like Teddy.

Last edited:
Rookie of the Year

My nomination from my club is Tevita "Junior" Tatola.

Made his First Grade debut in 2018. Has played #17 in every Souths game this year for contributions to 15 wins and 6 losses.

He also made his international debut, playing for the new powerhouse in test footy - Tonga.

Isn't a media darling, but a resume like that has to be considered.

Whose the player from your club you could put up?

Rookie of the Year

My nomination from my club is Tevita "Junior" Tatola.

Made his First Grade debut in 2018. Has played #17 in every Souths game this year for contributions to 15 wins and 6 losses.

He also made his international debut, playing for the new powerhouse in test footy - Tonga.

Isn't a media darling, but a resume like that has to be considered.

Whose the player from your club you could put up?

No one from Canberra this year, they deserve no awards at all!

Look out for Jack MURCHIE and Emre GUHLE next year though

I think Isaako from Brisbane, Martin from the Dogs, Ramien from the Sharks, Kikau from the Panfers (does he qualify?), Dufty if he qualifies are all good candidates.

Honourable mention to Croker from Manly before the ACL, Brimson from the Titans.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/20/2018-crop-of-NRL-debutants-the-smallest-in-a-decade/

Brimson has been good, Luai had a fantastic start before injury.

The Warriors only had one, Sam Cook. A very generous jersey to have given away because, without wanting to knock a decent, honest player, he probably shouldn't be near FG.

If we are ignoring 1-2 caps in other years, 19 year old Papali'i for the Warriors is mature beyond his years, and has potential to be a very good 10 year + player.

Agree that Isaako will probably get the nod but if I had to nominate someone from Tigers would have to be Esan Marsters (although in same boat as Kikau, so not sure if he qualifies) but has had a breakout season and IMO (obviously biased) has been arguably one of the best centres this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom