2019 Official NRL Thread (Spoilers/Rumours/Game Results/Discussions etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know SOO is the be all, end all atm...but i can see national rep footy overtaking it in 10-15 years and it going to one game.

Will slowly lose relevance over time as we expand in to WA / SA, and 50% of players already have Polynesian heritage.

In fact, Tonga is better than NZ at moment imho.

Interesting but I cant see that happening in my lifetime.

East Coast Rugby League is heartland stuff and 80,000 spectators a game (apart from QLD where its not really as popular and only gets 40,000 odd) and 3 out of the top 10 most watched programs every year on TV in Australia will ensure it outlives you and I.

They had 4 International teams yesterday and whilst brilliant and I loved it, they managed about 15,000 spectators.

Unfortunately these numbers just aren't as commercially viable.

Ross

Build it and they will come.

Wait until it's played out of new Para stadium. Rock the joint.

From 9-10k to 18k crowds in 5 years, top players in nrl and tv deals with Fox and 9, imagine another ten years of growth and promotion.

The Pacific tests will be great too.
Interesting but I cant see that happening in my lifetime.

East Coast Rugby League is heartland stuff and 80,000 spectators a game (apart from QLD where its not really as popular and only gets 40,000 odd) and 3 out of the top 10 most watched programs every year on TV in Australia will ensure it outlives you and I.

They had 4 International teams yesterday and whilst brilliant and I loved it, they managed about 15,000 spectators.

Unfortunately these numbers just aren't as commercially viable.

Ross
Ross I was there and the GA tickets were sold out by 3.15pm. Tonga and Samoa did not start until 7.30 it was unbelievable. There were plenty left disappointed when they rocked up two hours before the game only to find the only tickets left were in the grandstand and three times the price of GA.
As @The Mad Hatter said, if it was at the new parra stadium no doubt they would have got more....

Last edited:
Ross I was there and the GA tickets were sold out by 3.15pm. Tonga and Samoa did not start until 7.30 it was unbelievable. There were plenty left disappointed when they rocked up two hours before the game only to find the only tickets left were in the grandstand and three times the price of GA.
As @The Mad Hatter said, it'll it was at the new parra stadium no doubt they would have got more....
Big reason is because Western Sydney has more Pacific Islanders then the pacific islands lol

I believe 50% of NRL players have Polynesian heritage.

PNG team in Qld cup. Fiji on the cards. NZ2 in NRL.

Wait until it's played out of new Para stadium. Rock the joint.

From 9-10k to 18k crowds in 5 years, top players in nrl and tv deals with Fox and 9, imagine another ten years of growth and promotion.

It's definitely a growth area at the moment and long may it continue.

Just saying that 85000 rocking S.O.O. last night was as good as it gets and 30+years of tradition and passion hard to beat.

Cheers
Ross

I only just found out today that Storm have tabled a nice $$ deal to Blake Austin for next year as they want a long term replacement for Copper Cronk... from what I’ve gather this is A) Old News and B) Any truth to it?

I only just found out today that Storm have tabled a nice $$ deal to Blake Austin for next year as they want a long term replacement for Copper Cronk... from what I’ve gather this is A) Old News and B) Any truth to it?
I heard it over the weekend as well, no surprises Austin is looking after knocking back the Raiders reduced offer. The only way it could work is Munster goes back to Fullback which means Billy is retiring and Jerome Hughes is looking for a job.

I cant see it as a great move by Storm nut hey Bellamy will know.

Mmm interesting, heard it’s for the halves for a long term replacement for Cronk as he believes Croft isn’t ready yet still. As you said, Bellamy is the only one who knows what he’s doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom