2018 Legacy review

ElijahCraigHyde

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jarrah
First things first
after initially suspecting there would be 700 cases this year, plain to see the actual release turned out to be different from anticipating as you'd expect! That's why I wrote up another view on Facebook so to speak upon finding out there would be only 540 cases lol

album cover
now does anybody really collect the assoried album for the according card release?! That's a good question considering series 2 ones typically come with no pockets however to be fair this release's album is a pretty good design and might consider getting one considering I've been filing up others lol: olive black and gold looks pretty hot lol

commons
in all honesty, due to the era of inserts and inserts, could anybody care any less than what I do as far as what the common base cards look like? That's what it comes down to in this release. Perhaps the 1994 commons were the most stunning ones and there's been a bit of talk about them on this forum and IMO that design would make an ideal parallel card set or even a high end in this stone Age of inserts lol

all Australian
Dealers were sensationalizing how these are the best as design ever and agree 90% however come round Christmas, you are only going to see these sets auction off on eBay for $25 😏 as always (I think!)

Hall of fame gallery
as I speculated earlier in the year, these in particular the numbered edition are the replacement this year for the team leaders and/or goal to goal. The numbered version seems to be fancier looking as from what I recall, the 2012 eternity parallel were identical to the commons only to serial number on rear

rookie cards
I must say these are the best RC design and I love the rich gloss colour used plus the chunkier gold foil components- a stellar! Yes perhaps these would have been better had they fell in ratio of 1:18 packs thus numbered to only 166 however not a lot there to complain.

premiership predictors
Yes! So glad premiership redemption is back via this concept and about time indeed lol. Also love the two different variants of gold and silver. Yes perhaps I initially would have wished the gold variant was out of 300 and the silver variant was platinum instead out of 60 however I buy some arguments over numbering in small amounts can retract from other top end inserts.

Draft Pick signature
many collectors seem to be glad these cards are back however does this question the future of force cards lol? Doesn't matter that much as these are arguably the best DPS cards since the platinum DPS cards released ten years ago. Yes those 2008 DPS cards were better tbh IMO and that's the only down point right here.

SC signature
Thank goodness these are still around not to mention health Shaw the one for my team this year as anticipating! Now I do wish there was going to be a platinum variant of these out of 60 but that's something select could consider in future however looks like this might be final year of these however if that's true, select should find a good new replacement.

medal winners
yes! It's as if select were listening to my idea here if having these fall into an even higher ratio and each numbered and inviting for Dustin collectors! Fingers crossed no more auctions of $5 per card lol

legend cards
As I thought, these are basically the replacement to the unsigned mw jersey cards from the last two years or even footy's finest in some cases. Yes glad those players upgraded to legend status, have been included as such card concepts since 2012 and an ideal corresponding high end far back as 1996.

Future hall of fame
upon knowing the HOF concept would be revisited after completion of certified, I was feeling somewhat optimistic select would find a way to include all clubs in particular gold coast and gws - so this is how it has turned out to be! These cards seem to be the replacement to the finest refractors of certified not to mention influential and am pretty happy with Kelly being the one for gws. Very flash design and appropriately low numbered however I have not gotten my 'money back' for the Cameron finest two years ago, which means I am not going to splurge for one of these until sometime towards Christmas perhaps

HOF legend signature
these four cards are an excellent choice as top end inserts and an ideal substitute for the Guernsey signature cards out of 80. Nicely low numbered however good they're not outrageously limited

Gazza dual father-son signature
yes perhaps even if you're not a Geelong supporter you'll still perhaps want to chase this one but to be fair am I really gonna save up $1.5k for a card that isn't a giants one? Love the way the gold coast logo appears on this likewise and beautifully designed and like other top endse of this release, nicely low numbered but not outrageously limited!

overall verdict: 7.5/10
perhaps the best release of this decade but don't completely agree it's even better than certified 17 IMO. If their was a case search card for all 18 clubs out of 30 if would be better yet alone more of my ideas to accumulate expansion clubs. Also the anticipating in finding out what the front ends were to be was not worth the wait for what it actually is - far cry from NRL Esp whom revealed top end inserts almost 7 weeks out which I found impressive to know what you're chasing. Yes I know the up side prevents excessive presales but still.

Legacy 350 parallel
again it's a blessing to see a parallel set in a series ii release and I am highly proposed to one if it's evidently higher end than a parallel set in a series I release. I don't disagree these are the best parallel design ever however just as we don't care what the common base cards look like, much less is the same for paras just as long as they're fancier than the base ones yet alone numbered in series ii but not series I lol! IMO best parallel cards were of 2013 champions!

Last edited:
And imo:

Commons are what they are
Parrallals are a bit ugly and too much going on but i like lower nymbered
AA are beutiful cards and just shame about value
Rookies are good and i love the concept
Dps amazing and best for years
Certifieda are as expected
Premiership predictors are good but a bit late tbh. Would be alot more fun if these were realeased earlier in the season!
Redemptions hof i personally dont care for but i also dont collect those cards so nothing against the cards
Future hof are beutifull ans i love them. Shame only one gws but happy its kelly.
Ablett is a ripper! Dont see it staying over 1000 shirt term but long term who knows

Was a disappointing release for me. It’s time Select catch up with the products being produced internationally in this hobby. I feel we are now about 15 years behind the international card collecting hobby. Considering it is called Legacy, would have been great to have seen some game worn guernseys/sigs from retired players. Imagine a game worn patch from Coleman, Coventry or Cazaly........I think series that are heavily reliant on non-sig inserts should have remained in the 1990s........ So far have only purchased the Ablett dual sig card, and might grab a couple of the legend sigs, but not interested in the rest. Just my opinion, I give this series a 3/10.

Or may be its time for the release of a higher end series for AFL (like exquisite, immaculate etc)......

Last edited:
Just some quick thoughts of mine. We were told this was the best release ever, but I actually liked last years Certified better. Last year had 2 big hits per team, everyone had an Influential, then you either had a Footy’s Finest or a signature patch card. But back to Legacy, I love the AA’s, they just look bloody fantastic. Never care for common cards so it is what it is. Love HOF cards but think the limited HOF just needs more point of difference from the standard HOF. Parallel cards honestly look like something that should be in series 1 not series 2, don’t go much on them. Rookie cards are good. So glad the DPS has returned and they look great, but Certified sigs need a revamp now. Love the legend cards, always have. Haven’t seen a medal card in hand but they look good in pictures. Good idea about having gold and silver predictors and glad their back, but they all look a little too much the same, and I’d prefer them in series 1. The FHOF look nice in pictures so assume they look great in hand. But I’m not sold on the idea. I think it either should have been all current players or all ex players, and as it’s called Legacy I would have thought it should have been all retired players. It’s a nice touch to have all 4 legends sign in the one release. And don’t care for the Ablett card, sure it’s a great get by Select but not going much on both Abletts or Geelong it’s personally not a card for me. A few father/son cards in the one release would have been nice. I’m a lover of match worn patch cards, so I guess I’m sad we didn’t see them come back. I would love to see retired players/past legends done in match worn patch cards, imagine a Wanganeen, McLeod or Crawford patch card, and signed versions too. Now that’s what I wanna see.

I tend to agree, i much preferred last years release but it doesnt help that gws and gc dont offer much collection wise. I think the loss of signature guernsey redemptions is a shame and i much much much prefered 460s over paralals. I agree they look like an overdone kids card.

But alot to like about the release just think it is weighed a bit to much in favour of certain teams

You have to look at who is pumping up this release and why (quite obvious)..........no doubt there are some great cards in it......but best release ever with some of the signature cards already being sold off at $30 a pop? Not entirely sure on it being the greatest ever....

I cant even seem to sell rookie cards for $15 each, had them for sale since Monday so that’s not good. Looks like holding their cards close to their chest (pun intended) to stop presales hasn’t really helped prices. Yes some cards are selling pretty good, like some of the FHOF which are a little higher than I thought, but will steady in price like they all do eventually. Curtainly more in this release for some than others, which is a shame after the last 2 years where every collector had nice high end to chase. I know that there’s FHOF which are numbered /50 but I’m not sold on that concept. Bring back the patch cards I say 😃

Some quite valid points there Jarrod,
firstly the all australians are a great card and they are on ebay now for $23 a set. lol
the future hall of fame series is an odd set as its carries no merit with the AFL, its just a way for Select to get big name players and lesser teams inert cards. the hype on this subset has seen the prices on many players halve in a week, it carries as much merit as the future force series of 'sheehan selects' from a year or so back.
the dps are great and nice low print run, they are the best i have seen for a while, however many players had already signed their 'rookie cards' in the future force series, maybe thats why they called them a draft pick signature rather than a rookie signature, as they are not.
certified signatures are good as they keep the same design going but with 5 players signing already in this series there were a few dud players from teams that could have been great, eg hawks had ryan burton, he signed the future force series only 2 years ago, what about triple premiership players stratton or 2 time premiership player duryea, or the new captain roughead he hasnt signed a card in 13 years!!
many team players are $20-$25 now.
hall of fame players and designs are as expected, even with the 'player's edition' stamped on at least half the print run and the l/e set is as expected.
the dual ablett signature is great, but it would have been better to call the series "father and son" as suggested by Darren, and have 4 cards of players limited to 25 signed cards each, eg watsons, tuck, hudson, brown, fletcher, and many more i just dont have time to list. this would appeal to more collectors and could continue thru the second series in those rations for 10 years, now that's a set that would hold its value!!
Corey has a good point why call it legacy without the legends, old player match worn jumpers would be the biggest thing yet if they were in the series.
again as darren and corey said bring back the patch cards.
One final kick at the ablett dual sig, jnr played for gc and geelong and had both club logos next to his sig, why didnt snr have hawthorn and geelong club logos next to his sig, we at hawthorn gave him a start. :eek::eek:
in short prices are dropping quicker than collingwood on the ladder, i give the series a 4/10.

Ablett Hawthorn 2.jpg

Anyone found these in newsagencies yet? The couple of newsagencies near me were expecting delivery yesterday but they never arrived.

Pretty frustrating as it’s now more than a week after release date....

Anyone found these in newsagencies yet? The couple of newsagencies near me were expecting delivery yesterday but they never arrived.

Pretty frustrating as it’s now more than a week after release date....

This is no help to you mate but there's a newsagents in Burnie Tas that have stock, i got some last weekend. And pretty sure there is a newsagents in Launceston that would also have some as they always do. So the cards are out there but not many newsagents understand how different series 2 is to series 1. They just don't get it.

Some great cards in this release, but nothing much for me. Good choice with the AMT sig for certified as an Essendon collector, but not much they could do in regards to our first draft pick who is yet to debut. Parallels are weird, much preferred the 460s. FHOF interesting concept, but will wait to pick up the Heppell & Fletcher. AAs are really well designed, but then again, AAs can be picked up for pretty cheap. Can’t go wrong with the HoF inserts. Much preferred Certified due to Guernsey cards, footy’s finest and influentials.

the hall of fame sig cards look shocking... signed sideways in different directions etc not a fan

Top 5 all time Select releases in my opinion:
2017 Certified
1996 HOF
2008 Classic
2006 Supreme
2005 Dynasty

Legacy was built up to be the best yet but has missed the mark for me. Some nice elements in it but overall not in my top 5. A Geelong collector might think it’s the best yet as it’s heavily stacked for Cats fans, so fair enough if that’s the case. Just my opinion though.

I've always been a big fan of both realease for years

2005 - Tradition & Dynasty
2006 - Champions & Supreme
2008 - Champions & Classic

three great years of collecting

The only thing which hurt 2017 certified was some of the signature selections.

2014 Honours 1 was ok (was hurt by being the last of compromised draft years). This unfortunately impacted releases between 2011 Infinity and 2014 Honours

Actually very dissapointed in this release, much preferred last year. Besides the Ablett redemption, this set has little to hang it's hat on. Premiership predictors released when almost half the sides are out of finals contention is just stupid imo

Also being able to pick up the cards you want for the price of 1-3 packs makes the it easier to stay away from packs/boxes

Back
Top Bottom