2018 Footy Stars review

ElijahCraigHyde

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jarrah
Common cards

Thank god for first time in seven years, Select have used live glass style backgrounds for commons and not a bad design over all. Also like the way they have continued with those graphic style effects likewise as been on commons since 2012.

Diecuts

Like the holofoils last year, this is arguably a parallel set but with different players from commons. Like the way Select has used not too many cards from this inset and for once perhaps this would make packet pulling collectors somewhat possible to complete the entire para set.

Selex

As an IP collector this was a great help to have such concept and plain to see about time since these generation of players finally get a card since Future Force not to mention RC. Design nice and decent as well.

Milestone Game cards

Thank god this set is still running and as an IP player this concept is very significant in my PC. Not bad designs for this year and hope this concepts continues to remain in years to come - some master set collectors might be fed up with this concept but as FAIC do they actually exist here? lol

A-Graders

A again not bad illustrations and design background exceptional too. Maybe could have used same designs as last year and perhaps some different players for some but really nothing to complain about

Starbursts Yellow

YES! So glad these are yellow/gold and I was long anticipated them to be so. Not to mention as a GWS collector so happy with whom the four players are this year and this concept has meet my expectations. At some stage I feared my speculation would be wrong so I did suggest they could have been pink, maroon or mauve at some point but luckily that turned out wrong. Perhaps have been a 1:18 pack ratio butt.

Starbursts Black

Thought they'd be in starter packs but Select have exceeded my expectations by making them a within pack box search concept thus not to mention they are numbered as well! Well done Select! Also rapt the starter pack ones are orange as I also was predicting they could have been that colour and so glad they're here!

Brownlow Predictors Gold

Hello Select, many of use were hoping fewer players this year! C'mon dudes, still 8 players per club many if not most whom will never win a BM in their career yet alone be the eventual predictor this season so chasing their own tails right there.

Brownlow Predictors Plationum

If too many players for Gold variant was not bad enough, a parallel variant of too many players?! OMG tell'em they're dreaming in particular many sellers will still want $50 for a Gold Coast one of these even at the end of the season not to mention $100+ for all other clubs!- tell'em they're dreaming lol

Overall verdict 8/10 - some members may accuse me for giving Select too much credit once again but here are the points that have led to it:

1) Pretty damn good 24 years on we are still looking at $3 per pack whereas in 1994 when I had to save up big three bucks for a packet of these where you have to wait 12 packs for the lowest inset being only 20 to collect thus the front end card was the one and only Ablett Snr legend card out of 5000!

2) Decent twist on parallel concept
3) Not too many cards for other back ends
4) Milestone Game cards back again
5) Starburst Yellow
6) Starburst Black
7) Starburst Orange
8) Finally a beyond box search concept in spite of it being a BP parallel variant

Cons of course
1) Still too many players for BP concept
2) BP parallel concept could have been replaced by a premiership predictor concept:
1 card per club to redeem a signature card of the eventual premiership captain and coach at the end of this season

Finally this release is for the kids so I can't really have too many high expectations now lets see what 2018 series II brings to us

Reactions: HBM
In summary, very good release...though number of players for BP cards needs to be produced. Compounded by fact that we have platinum's this year. 7.5/10

What's the news on series 2? I've heard nothing.
Due to the patterns of Select, many are suspecting another stink of Hall of Fame release. Pretty sure Jersey cards will not be a part of it this year thus replaced by Hall of Fame high end based around those players who have been inducted since 2012 (when concept was last visited) and those already in whom have been upgraded to Legend status since then.

Back
Top Bottom