2018 Elite Review

Brendan_B

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Brendan
eBay User
Brendan3767
Three weeks in, dust starting to settle from the initial stampede and decent cards being sold for next to nothing on the secondary market...

Time for a review!

ALBUM
The design hasn't really changed at all over the years. The album is okay but without a bonus packet or album card it is well over priced at $25 from dealers or $30 from retailers. Without an album card the folders should be no more than $19.95

COMMONS
I really like this years commons. After a couple of years of the black or dark background this is a nice change and I think shaded area really adds to the image. The matte finish is also quite nice and the IP's I have seen on these look amazing. As always I would like to see either 9 or 18 in the set and I would still love to see a subset among the commons such as coaches.

BOX CARD COMMONS
Lets address this highly contentious issue! Firstly I love the idea of the box card, value adds to the box for the average punter and something different to chase. Personally I have no major issues with the tenth common being a box card (I always put a base set together) as I like the thrill of the chase and trading. I will however concede that this was probably not ESP's best idea and it is good to see that they have acknowledge this by offering a packet redemption. Moving forward, I think the box cards should be BC1 - BC16 so every club gets one and these could be a club logo with the club history on the back.

SILVER SPECIALS
Lets start with the obvious, they are not silver they are black...I think these look classy and the contrast to the commons as well as the significant variance from previous releases is excellent. I have seen a few these IP signed in gold and wow! As with the common set I would like to see team sets as 9.

SHARP SHOOTERS
This is exactly the type of card I expect from a very low end insert. 1:4 is right as it gives you plenty of hits in the box and the theme is something a bit different. The matte finish on these detracts a bit, I prefer a glossy finish but I don't think we have seen that since 13 Elite's Triple Threats. The other issue I have with this set is some player selection. Sharp Shooter implies a general play or goal kicker and players such as Rapana (did kick a cracking 40/20 earlier this year though), Vunivalu, Nightingale don't really fit this.

MASTER & APPRENTICE
Rehashed from 14 Elite with the same landscape design but a much cleaner look. I quite like these and think that the bold Master or Apprentice is a nice touch. Player selection seems fairly spot on to me, the only issue I have, and it's very minor, is they are harder to display nicely in the 9 pocket sleeves! I think maybe a third card per team with both players combined would rectify this issue nicely.

DALLY M AWARDS
A really good set, great theme is nicely designed card. This set is seeded at 1:12 packets but I only got two per box in the ones that I opened. In any case, I think this set is a winner and one that could be a consistent feature in years to come.

2018 CAPTAINS
I am not a fan of this set at all. It is a tired theme and there has been minimal movement of skippers to warrant giving it a third year. The portrait style design is not the best look and I much prefer the action shots of the players from previous years. Perhaps moving forward, the Captain card could be an idea for the box cards?

YOUNG GUNS SIGNATURES
Some absolutely cracking player selections in this lot and the cards themselves have a nice clean design which allows the signature to be the focal point, which it should. I am not aware of any major inconsistencies with pens used and limiting these back to /90 should help with maintaining value.

LEAGUE SENSATION SIGNATURES
Again, some excellent players selections and even though a few have had signature cards with ESP before they were with a different club (aside from Taupau). From a personal perspective I was stoked to get Blake Austin as he is leaving the club and I have enjoyed watching him in his 4 years at Canberra. The design is also nice, clean and simple.

YG & LS BLACK SIGNATURES
What a sensation addition to the release these are! Beautifully designed cards and the signatures, particularly the gold on the LSB really jump off the page. A very limited production run of /40 will ensure that the value on these steadily increases much like the League Leader Blacks from Dynasty. The LSB's are one of the nicest insert sets ESP have produced. Well done! The only side note I would add here is that damage shows up very badly on these so I think that maybe via redemption for all of them is a better option.

CASE CARDS
I haven't seen these in hand but the theme is great and anyone who can play 300+ games in the NRL should be celebrated. The designs seem nice and signed case cards are always a great addition, even if these are just sticker signatures.

ROAD TO THE FINALS SILVER / GOLD
Again, I haven't seen one in hand but the pictures I have seen look great. These continue to be nicely designed cards and the player selection is pretty decent this time around. Thaiday, Brisbane / QLD legend and retiring, Holmes, absolute Super Star, Morgan, was the best player in the game in last years run to the finals and King, although not on the same level as the other three, was very good during Parra's run last year. I would like to have seen some other teams get a card as the Sharks, Brisbane and the Cows have all featured before but I also understand that some clubs are harder to get the jerseys off. I am aware that the production run increased slightly this year hence the increase in numbers but I fell that /80 is just to high of a number for a high end signature card.

ALL STARS MATCH BALL
Something very different and interesting that the ball is from 2015 in a 2018 release! That aside the cards look great and the patches are excellent. Quite limited in number and hard to get at 1:8 cases however many cases have contained two and this is a big muck up. Good initiative though.

GOLDEN TICKET REDEMPTION
I really hope it is a punter who jags this randomly as it is about $15,000 + worth. I also hope that the lucky individual is a genuine collector and doesn't try and flip the card cheaply! This is a really great idea and brings back memories of 02 Challenge and the Treasure Redemptions!

MOJO'S
Ruby: Brilliant concept making these one per box. Value adds to the box, increases value significantly (previous ruby mojo sets were struggling to his $100, these are a minimum of $20 each) and above has given the actual trading of cards a real shot in the arm. The design is not as fancy as previous years but I really like these and you could potentially have a team set comprising of individual jersey numbers!

Sapphire, Emerald & Black Diamond: I am not to sure if the black diamond was a good addition or not. They are certainly a rare and very limited set but paying up to or in excess of $1000 for an unsigned team insert set just doesn't interest me. As mentioned with the ruby mojo, the cards are no where near as fancy as previous years but I do like the double image on the Emerald and Black. Overall these are certainly a nice card but I am unsure on so many variants moving forward.

SUMMARY
Overall this is an excellent set and in my opinion the best Elite release yet. As always there are a few things that need tinkering but that is purely a subjective view. I like the current make up of 24 packets per box but would still like to see this release be split into hobby ($8 per packet and available from dealers only) and retail ($6 per packet from shops) with some of the really high end stuff only in the hobby cases. ESP always show lots of initiative and change things up, even the packets are in landscape this year! I am a big fan of the nostalgia aspect of Rugby League and would like to see a bit of heritage in the Elite. We have the Legends in Traders, maybe a club legend at !:5 boxes in the Elite, doesn't have to be signed, just a limited and numbered card voted on by the collectors.

A very solid release, enjoying collecting it, 8/10.

Please feel free to comment, agree, disagree. I feel that forums like this certainly provide ideas and impetus for change in the hobby.

Dally M 1:12 is 2 per box mate

Sharp shooters, when i read the list you gave a thought occurred to me that it could be those players shooting for the corners to score tries? along with the general kickers, would kinda make sense

As always top notch review mate and appreciate the effort you go to every release

Dally M 1:12 is 2 per box mate

Sharp shooters, when i read the list you gave a thought occurred to me that it could be those players shooting for the corners to score tries? along with the general kickers, would kinda make sense

As always top notch review mate and appreciate the effort you go to every release

Of course, my bad with the odds, thinking of a 36 pack box.

Good thought on the SS, could very well be what they were looking for although some clubs have two established kickers so hard to say.

Thanks for the kind words, quite enjoy sitting down and looking through new releases when time allows.

Well done Brendan great review as usual.

I agree pretty much with all your sentiments;

One of the better sets in recent years IMO they are nice in hand and I even liked the landscape wrappers!

Box card for a common - dissapointing

Sharp Shooters confusing

Captains are tired concept and with little change year on year of the players.

The YGB and LSB are a nice card.

Ruby's seeded in boxes, fantastic that our suggestions are taken on board.

All Stars ball = FAIL ( its subjective but a 2005 ball in a 2018 release really and why did it need to have JT on it?)

Golden Ticket - it's nice to dream.

Next years set will be interesting with no Thurston it should be about 100 cards smaller.

Cheers
Ross

Last edited:
Very good review, agree with the points.

The common box card was just a total annoyance to me, I thought of myself as a kid collecting and how upset I would have been after making Mum buy another 20 retail packs for a card that will never come, you are looking at the numbers.. thinking where is #10 ??

I also hate the fact that it is cloak and dagger all the info about the release. It you didn’t keep close to this forum or similar you would miss so much.
If you look at the TLA Website you would have absolutely no idea about half the stuff.
From many reports it seems the feedback and updates are very hit and miss.
Of course Elite 2018 is the theme but when you add it Season in Review / Traders offers / Player in Focus / extreme Wrapper offer...
Why can’t the info be made available in a normal post on a website?

I give your review 24/12.

I've bought 6 packs of this for 5 silvers and a Sharp Shooter. So reading your description of some of these cards lets me get a senseof the release.

I thought binder was over priced under value too.

OK I don't know how I will be able to top Brendans review.......it was 100% spot on...... but what the hell, i'll add my 10 cents as well.

ALBUM

I haven't had the chance to see one yet but I think the folders at about $24.95 is about the right price....a pack or a card of some sort in them would be a nice touch.

COMMONS

I love the design of the common cards however in comparison to last years......I think I like last years quality better with the foiling.

1535186761637.png

BOX CARD COMMONS

I love the idea of the box card! I understand that some people aren't happy........but an SP'd base card adds a bit of value and is something to chase down!

SILVER SPECIALS

Really like the look of these as well......no complaints here! Some of the IP's with the gold pen look sensational.

SHARP SHOOTERS

I like these inserts.........a good 1:4 set.

MASTER & APPRENTICE

Probably my least favourite set for this release.......one of the funny situations for the Panthers is that Cleary and Maloney were featured in both the Masters and Apprentice and Sharpshooters. Could have had a Merrin/RCG combo in this set instead.

DALLY M AWARDS

One of my favourite insert cards from the set... these are all class, look stunning and are a good size set to track down.

2018 CAPTAINS

Like the M&A not a huge fan of these overall.......think this years are the weakest in terms of designs to date.

YOUNG GUNS SIGNATURES

Awesome player selections.....was happy with my teams choice. Only suggestion is perhaps not having black foil on these.

Was stoked to get probably my favourite player (RCG) in this set......it appears the designs are heavily borrowed from Panini Immaculate which i don't mind at all.

1535187742269.png
1535187827258.png

YG & LS BLACK SIGNATURES

These are THE best cards from the release.....the gold and silver signatures really pop on the card and overall a really strong list of players.

10/10 for this set

CASE CARDS

Look ok and some stellar names in the set. Not overly upset with having sticker autos on these.

Love the designs on these (I do think the UD Exquisite image I sent to TLA was a strong influence on this set).

1535189125554.png

1535188288466.png

I do however think its time to put the RTF concept to bed and have a jersey patch auto of one player per team which could fall 1 per case (Limited to about 40 each)

ALL STARS MATCH BALL

I don't mind this at all and some of the patches have been great!

GOLDEN TICKET REDEMPTION

Not a bad idea overall.

MOJO'S
Ruby: Been saying this for years......1 Ruby per box gives that bit more value and also gives group breakers extra hits to distribute across all teams.

Sapphire, Emerald & Black Diamond:

I don't mind these but seeding them as single players across the print run (like the rubys) would be a hell of a chase for collectors!!!

SUMMARY

Overall this looks a really good release.......so many great cards to collect and aside from a few cosmetic changes, having a case hit (say a jersey patch auto redemption for each team #/40) would be an awesome addition in place of the RTF.

A great release, I agree with Brendan a solid 8/10.

Cheers
Matt

Last edited:
OK I don't know how I will be able to top Brendans review.......it was 100% spot on...... but what the hell, i'll add my 10 cents as well.

ALBUM

I haven't had the chance to see one yet but I think the folders at about $24.95 is about the right price....a pack or a card of some sort in them would be a nice touch.

COMMONS

I love the design of the common cards however in comparison to last years......I think I like last years quality better with the foiling.

1535186761637.png

BOX CARD COMMONS

I love the idea of the box card! I understand that some people aren't happy........but an SP'd base card adds a bit of value and is something to chase down!

SILVER SPECIALS

Really like the look of these as well......no complaints here! Some of the IP's with the gold pen look sensational.

SHARP SHOOTERS

I like these inserts.........a good 1:4 set.

MASTER & APPRENTICE

Probably my least favourite set for this release.......one of the funny situations for the Panthers is that Cleary and Maloney were featured in both the Masters and Apprentice and Sharpshooters. Could have had a Merrin/RCG combo in this set instead.

DALLY M AWARDS

One of my favourite insert cards from the set... these are all class, look stunning and are a good size set to track down.

2018 CAPTAINS

Like the M&A not a huge fan of these overall.......think this years are the weakest in terms of designs to date.

YOUNG GUNS SIGNATURES

Awesome player selections.....was happy with my teams choice. Only suggestion is perhaps not having black foil on these.

Was stoked to get probably my favourite player (RCG) in this set......it appears the designs are heavily borrowed from Panini Immaculate which i don't mind at all.

1535187742269.png
1535187827258.png

YG & LS BLACK SIGNATURES

These are THE best cards from the release.....the gold and silver signatures really pop on the card and overall a really strong list of players.

10/10 for this set

CASE CARDS

Look ok and some stellar names in the set. Not overly upset with having sticker autos on these.

Love the designs on these (I do think the UD Exquisite image I sent to TLA was a strong influence on this set).

1535189125554.png

1535188288466.png

I do however think its time to put the RTF concept to bed and have a jersey patch auto of one player per team which could fall 1 per case (Limited to about 40 each)

ALL STARS MATCH BALL

I don't mind this at all and some of the patches have been great!

GOLDEN TICKET REDEMPTION

Not a bad idea overall.

MOJO'S
Ruby: Been saying this for years......1 Ruby per box gives that bit more value and also gives group breakers extra hits to distribute across all teams.

Sapphire, Emerald & Black Diamond:

I don't mind these but seeding them as single players across the print run (like the rubys) would be a hell of a chase for collectors!!!

SUMMARY

Overall this looks a really good release.......so many great cards to collect and aside from a few cosmetic changes, having a case hit (say a jersey patch auto redemption for each team #/40) would be an awesome addition in place of the RTF.

A great release, I agree with Brendan a solid 8/10.

Cheers
Matt
That jersey Sig looks familiar :)

I agree with all these reviews, great set overall but some of the low level inserts need a refresh

I liked the box cards it gives collectability and value back to a common set.

The ruby cards have been very popular and should be retained going forward and shelve the rest of the mojos as the concepts done in reality.

Thank the Card Gods we have Matt26 to give TLA tips on how to design nice looking cards. The design of some of the inserts in Elite have really improved from previous years, albeit harder to obtain. Still a question mark on the player image selection and I understand that coming from the NRL side of things.

Thank the Card Gods we have Matt26 to give TLA tips on how to design nice looking cards. The design of some of the inserts in Elite have really improved from previous years, albeit harder to obtain. Still a question mark on the player image selection and I understand that coming from the NRL side of things.

I would love to claim credit here, but I only sent them the one image and said this is what a really nice looking patch auto could look like.

Im glad they took on board the feedback.

Honestly its all about wanting to see cards made I would love to collect. I mean I absolutely loved the Marvel Jersey set deisgn, was just really annoyed my team didnt have a card to collect.

Cheers
Matt

I didn’t realise until recently that the Marvel Jersey cards were only replica not game worn.

Not that this matters to me, they are still immaculate, in particular the /6

I agree, despite the fact that they are player issue (never worn at all) these are still sensational cards and very well designed. I would have bought one if the Panthers had featured in it.

The issue I have heard is that it is challenging to get the match worn jerseys from the players/clubs hence some of the Road to the Finals cards featuring lower level players for some clubs (this years are pretty good I will say).

TLA have 3 options:

1) Use jerseys that have never been worn by the players (Marvel set and the first LE set which had the signed jersey pieces)

2) Obtain match worn jerseys which is the preferred option but costly and the range of players/teams available can be problematic......you also run the risk of getting the spare jerseys not the jerseys worn by the players.

3) Do what a vast majority of the US sports do (and are now also doing for a lot of legends players in the NFL etc) use player worn jerseys.

These are not game worn but still have been worn by the player at some point (photoshoot/signing session etc).

What TLA could do is say for someone like Cameron Smith - get hm to wear a home and away storm jersey, a Qld jersey and an Australian jersey and then you have content for some really cool cards for the next few years.

Its what Futera also do with a lot of their soccer releases......lots of training worn jerseys.

You do this with a vairiety of great players and you can start to bring into the mix multi memorabilia type cards, Logo patches, jumbo swatches etc......these are some of the cards i'd love to collect.

You look at any big NBA/NFL/MLB key rookie cards and they are all player worn materials.....even Lebrons Exquisite Rookie Patch Auto.

Anyway, off on a tangent here but I would kill for the day we see an exquisite/flawless/immaculate/ultimate type release in the NRL.......it may never happen but it would be awesome if it did.

Cheers
Matt

Back
Top Bottom