Matty76

Banned User
Real Name
Matt Gartside
eBay User
matt2009g
Hi all!

Well, let's have at it!

How will your team go? What are your expectations and hopes for the season ahead?

Who wants to laugh at my ridiculous ladder predictions again (which I will attempt to do after work)? :)

The AFLW season began of course last weekend - who or what has impressed you so far?

Here we go again eh? :)

I'm finding it really hard to predict how the Eagles will go this year - there are so many different factors that will affect where we finish (e.g. new stadium, Nic Nat's return from injury, new look midfield, addition of Willie Rioli and Liam Ryan to the forward line). I can see us finishing in the middle of the bottom ten if lots goes wrong; on the contrary, if Nic Nat is able to return to close to his best form, our midfield gels quickly and we adapt well to the new stadium, we could finish comfortably inside the eight. This uncertainty is actually pretty exciting as I have no idea what to expect!

Similarly I'm struggling to do a ladder prediction as there are several other teams with plenty of question marks too. I'll keep working at it and post it here when I finally make one that I'm happy with! Based on past form though, I'm definitely in no position to laugh at the ladder predictions of others, Matty :lol:

My ladder (cue outrageous fits of laughter!!) is as follows:

1. Sydney
2. Geelong
3. Adelaide
4. West Coast
5. Port Adelaide
6. Richmond
7. Greater Western Sydney
8. Melbourne
9. Essendon
10. Hawthorn
11. Collingwood
12. Western Bulldogs
13. St Kilda
14. Fremantle
15. North Melbourne
16. Carlton
17. Brisbane
18. Gold Coast

I'm still not convinced about Melbourne - their inclusion really is a toss of the coin and I could easily have elevated the Bombers to 8th position.

My Hawks are in for a middling-to-reasonable kind of season. There's probably not such as a thing as a "good" mid-table finish, but we might have it. The cumulative loss of Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge and Gibson - enforced or otherwise - leaves massive gaps in the experience stakes.

Port are my big improver, although I am not sure if the icing (Watts, Motlop, Rockliff, Thomas) will add too much if the cake is still undercooked. Nevertheless, I'm tentatively backing them to make Adelaide Oval the "Portress" again....as well as winning the odd away game.

My selection of Sydney and Geelong at the head of the ladder is based on exposed recent form and the mouth-watering prospect of what a fully fit Lance Franklin and Gary Ablett can contribute to their respective teams. The thought of Patrick Dangerfield playing 50/50 midfield/forward is a nightmare for opposition coaches.

Putting Richmond in 6th owes more to a long-held suspicion about premiership droughts and the season that follows them. I just don't see them as an automatic top-four lock.

Anyhow, I won't bore you with a dissertation on every selection!! :)

Here’s my predictions:

Sydney
Adelaide
Richmond
Port Adelaide
GWS
Essendon
Melbourne
Geelong
—————————
Western Bulldogs
St Kilda
Collingwood
Hawthorn
West Coast
Fremantle
Carlton
Brisbane
Gold Coast
North Melbourne

Last edited:
Here’s my predictions:

Sydney
Adelaide
Richmond
Port Adelaide
GWS
Essendon
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
——————————
St Kilda
Collingwood
Hawthorn
West Coast
Fremantle
Carlton
Brisbane
Gold Coast
North Melbourne

Hey Paddy that list is pre crappy. How will Collingwood and St Kilda finish higher than West Coast? Collingwood has no backline or forward line and St Kilda is way too inconsistent. And btw you forgot to include Geelong. Here is a more realistic ladder for you all:

1. Sydney
2. Geelong
3. Adelaide
4. GWS
5. Port Adelaide
6. Richmond
7. Melbourne
8. Essendon
9. Western Bulldogs
10. West Coast
11. Hawthorn
12. St Kilda
13. Collingwood
14. Fremantle
15. Brisbane
16. Carlton
17. Gold Coast
18. North Melbourne

My ladder (cue outrageous fits of laughter!!) is as follows:

1. Sydney
2. Geelong
3. Adelaide
4. West Coast
5. Port Adelaide
6. Richmond
7. Greater Western Sydney
8. Melbourne
9. Essendon
10. Hawthorn
11. Collingwood
12. Western Bulldogs
13. St Kilda
14. Fremantle
15. North Melbourne
16. Carlton
17. Brisbane
18. Gold Coast

I'm still not convinced about Melbourne - their inclusion really is a toss of the coin and I could easily have elevated the Bombers to 8th position.

My Hawks are in for a middling-to-reasonable kind of season. There's probably not such as a thing as a "good" mid-table finish, but we might have it. The cumulative loss of Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge and Gibson - enforced or otherwise - leaves massive gaps in the experience stakes.

Port are my big improver, although I am not sure if the icing (Watts, Motlop, Rockliff, Thomas) will add too much if the cake is still undercooked. Nevertheless, I'm tentatively backing them to make Adelaide Oval the "Portress" again....as well as winning the odd away game.

My selection of Sydney and Geelong at the head of the ladder is based on exposed recent form and the mouth-watering prospect of what a fully fit Lance Franklin and Gary Ablett can contribute to their respective teams. The thought of Patrick Dangerfield playing 50/50 midfield/forward is a nightmare for opposition coaches.

Putting Richmond in 6th owes more to a long-held suspicion about premiership droughts and the season that follows them. I just don't see them as an automatic top-four lock.

Anyhow, I won't bore you with a dissertation on every selection!! :)

Not bad attenpt but i reckon you have overated west coast and underated hawthorn. Also think north will be futther down whi knows with richmond as still have to prove they can back up so hood spot.

Weat coast dont have the depth in the midfield in my opinion! After shuey and gaff it drops significantly with masten, redden, sheed, jetta etc

My guess for ladder is:

Sydney
Adelaide
Richmond
Geelong
Gws
Port
Hawthorn
Essendon
Melbourne
Western bulldogs
Collingwood
St kilda
West coast
Fremantle
Carlton
Brisbane
North
Gold coast

Brownlow: Josh Kelly
Premiers: GWS (come home strong)
Coleman: daniher
Rising star: graham

Not bad attenpt but i reckon you have overated west coast and underated hawthorn. Also think north will be futther down whi knows with richmond as still have to prove they can back up so hood spot.

Weat coast dont have the depth in the midfield in my opinion! After shuey and gaff it drops significantly with masten, redden, sheed, jetta etc

My guess for ladder is:

Sydney
Adelaide
Richmond
Geelong
Gws
Port
Hawthorn
Essendon
Melbourne
Western bulldogs
Collingwood
St kilda
West coast
Fremantle
Carlton
Brisbane
North
Gold coast

Brownlow: Josh Kelly
Premiers: GWS (come home strong)
Coleman: daniher
Rising star: graham

As if you think St Kilda and Collingwood will finish higher than West Coast!!!!! You never know about Bulldogs, and maybe Hawthorn, but seriously!?!?!?

As if you think St Kilda and Collingwood will finish higher than West Coast!!!!! You never know about Bulldogs, and maybe Hawthorn, but seriously!?!?!?

Fair call was a quick list and not much thought put into it. I definately dont rate west coast but didnt take into consideration the home ground advantage and the shitness of collingwood atm. Saints i am not sold on but who knows they may improve.

In retrospect i would move west coast to 11,

1. Adelaide
2. GWS
3. Sydney
4. Richmond
5. Melbourne
6. Geelong
7. Essendon
8. Melbourne
—————————
9. Port Adelaide
10. West Coast
11. St Kilda
12. Hawthorn
13. Brisbane
14. Fremantle
15. Collingwood
16. Carlton
17. North Melbourne
18. Gold Coast

Do not fuel the hype machines of Geelong, Port Adelaide or St Kilda. They are all overrated

My picks

1. Sydney
2. GWS
3. Adelaide
4. Geelong
5. Richmond
6. Port
7. Melbourne
8. Essendon
9. Bulldogs
10. Hawthorn
11. St Kilda
12. Collingwood
13. West Coast
14. Fremantle
15. Carlton
16. Brisbane
17. Gold Coast
18. North Melbourne

Definetly some enjoyable games from round 1

Brownlow: Dusty or Buddy (his teammates will probz steal a few votes tho lol)
Premiers: Sydney
Coleman: Buddy
Rising star: Witherden

Last edited:
Geez, I'd be appealing that. Only one action I could see and more the effect of being off balance while moving at speed. In the back yes, but that's about it.

Geez, I'd be appealing that. Only one action I could see and more the effect of being off balance while moving at speed. In the back yes, but that's about it.
That was pretty much my thoughts too, mate. No slinging action, clearly in the back and worthy of a free, but hard to believe that would be worth a week.

Nic Naitanui has been offered a one-week suspension for a tackle on Karl Amon on Saturday. If you haven't seen it there's a video of it here: https://mobile.twitter.com/AFLcomau/status/993365491170271232?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/twitter.min.html#993365491170271232

Thoughts? Is that worth a week or should it have just been a free kick, or perhaps a fine? Obviously I'm biased so I'd be very interested to hear what others think.

Zero intent to hurt him, just momentum that drove them forward. Nothing in it and embarrassing for the AFL that he got a week. Eagles must appeal that.

Ridiculous decision on Naitanui. What are you supposed to do, tackle or bump? I have no idea anymore :ermm:

Ridiculous decision on Naitanui. What are you supposed to do, tackle or bump? I have no idea anymore :ermm:
Yeah, very disappointed the tribunal upheld the ban. After all these years of being told tackle when you can instead of bump. Sets an interesting precedent.

What an extraordinary performance by young Ben Ronke against my Hawks tonight - becoming the only player in league history to record seven goals and ten tackles in the same game. We haven’t seen a really close (or even half-decent) Friday night game since Essendon overran Adelaide in round one and I thought tonight’s game was almost finals-like in its intensity.

The last four Hawthorn vs Sydney games have been won narrowly (Hawks by 5, 6 and 6 points and now Swans by 8) and have been terrific contests. There’s no shame in losing to those red and white warriors.

What an extraordinary performance by young Ben Ronke against my Hawks tonight - becoming the only player in league history to record seven goals and ten tackles in the same game. We haven’t seen a really close (or even half-decent) Friday night game since Essendon overran Adelaide in round one and I thought tonight’s game was almost finals-like in its intensity.

The last four Hawthorn vs Sydney games have been won narrowly (Hawks by 5, 6 and 6 points and now Swans by 8) and have been terrific contests. There’s no shame in losing to those red and white warriors.

Most frustrating game all year. Worse than the North loss. Should never have let that game slip. So angry right now :mad:

@Scotty_WCE I think we can say that your blokes are genuine contenders now. No Naitanui, Shuey or McGovern yesterday, yet West Coast controlled a large part of what in the past would have been a difficult assignment. It's the Eagles vs the Tigers next week on Sunday night!!

Essendon and St Kilda look done and dusted already - the Saints additionally have the lowest percentage in the competition right now. The Bombers next win mightn't come until round 12, and even that is a tricky game against Brisbane in Brisbane.

What a breathless, captivating finish to Showdown 44 last night - which in the end has I suppose given disgruntled Crows supporters MORE ammunition to use against their non-South Australian born coach.......

Back
Top Bottom