2017 Traders review

Brendan_B

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Brendan
eBay User
Brendan3767
We are one month past release so I thought I would throw together the standard review. As always feel free to comment, I have no doubt that some of the suggestions posted from the last few releases have impacted the next release.

FOLDERS

Same design as last year but different colouring. The folders are very basic and nice and clean looking. Pages are obviously cheaper ones but do the job for a base set and some low end subsets. For $25 (cheaper from dealers) you can't really argue with the folder, plenty of pages, album card and two packets. Thank god they stopped gluing the packets to the folders!!!

MILESTONES

I really applaud the concept of having a bonus card only available in starters. The cards themselves are fine, very shiny which makes them a touch cheaper in my opinion. I really liked the design of the Milestones from the 2014 release, they should have gone with that. Design aside the biggest let down with these is they should be in some sort of protective slip and there should be more than three in the set. Just like the JT and Smith box cards from 2016 Elite they needed to increases the number in this set to at least six players.

BASE SET

Nothing fancy in these as you would expect from a Traders release. Perhaps some more stats on the back and would love to see the common subsets make a return! The rear of the AFL cards contain a plethora of stats which is fantastic in comparison.

PARALLELS

Sensational! One of the best if not best parallel sets I have seen released. Nice clean images, different to the base sets and the real winner is the reflective image of the player in the background. I don't usually collect parallels but put together a set of these ones because they look that good!

FACES OF THE GAME

The only downside to these is the moving of the signature panel to the side. If the players signed this panel then they look great but not all players do and with the reluctance of some players to sign cards these days you get what you are given! I am not an IP collector however I get one of the very decent members from this site to get the Raiders ones done for me and they are an excellent addition to the PC.

PIECES OF THE PUZZLE

While they feel like a common card I still like this set being included as the puzzles when completed look very effective in a folder. These are only 1:6 and a large set to complete so no point changing the design to significantly, keep these rolling on!

SEASON TO REMEMBER

Great to see these back, was really disappointed when they removed them from 16 Traders. The look a bit like the Elite base from last year but I like how they have focused on individual players who had sensational seasons. The cards feel good in hand and a completed set looks good in the folder as it proves a nice contrast to the other subsets.

CLUB HEROES

Essentially the club player of the year cards from the old Select days. I don't mind these as the selected players are generally some of the better players at each. I like that the cards highlight each clubs different awards and the foil board finish makes them not a bad card to look at.

STARTOONS

These are quite cool. I like the acetate finish on the regular version and the different style on the album version. Obviously aimed at our younger collectors but I am sure most of the ólder' collectors enjoy these two. A good change up from the cyber heroes, good to see the centre card still included so the set fits in two sleeves.

PLAYMAKERS

Great concept but really let down by the dull matte finish. I think these should have been at least 1:72 or 1:108 and jazzed up a bit. The backs should have included the relevant playmakijg stats.

RETIREMENTS

Always a nice looking card, generally a few top players. The biggest let down for these was the 2013 Traders where they were 1:9 packets instead of 1:72. I still believe that this has kept the price down drastically on these. The images and club the card is given to are sometimes a bit puzzling. For rep players like Creagh his card should have had a St George, Country and NSW image. The card should go to the club where they played the bulk of the footy. In some cases like Mick Ennis where he only played two seasons for the Sharks but was a major cog and won a premiership with them I have no issues with both of the major clubs getting a logo on the card.

SAS BLACK / GOLD / AUTHENTIC

I didn't mind these last year but this years cards are a significant improvement. The complete foil finish and green signature on last years blacks made them look cheap, they have nailed the design this year on all levels and the player selection is very good. Another Oates signature on the back of his jersey signature was a bit of an oversight but I suppose you need to consider player availability and also that ESP are offside with a few other talent agencies. Getting Cronk to sign was epic and I am very happy with a Leilua

PREDICTORS

The cards themselves look okay, the numbering is odd and the redemption process even more so! For a higher end card of this nature there should be more than 20 gold parallels sets available for those who manage to put together a set. My theory is that the 20 gold parallels sets were not even an option and they would just run with the winning team until there was a bit of an uproar among collectors. There is no shame in allowing for more than 20 sets to be redeemed and will keep value in the cards. What happens when the season is done and dusted, hundreds of overpriced, numbered club logo cards! In saying all this I am glad that the predictors have made a comeback but they should have stuck with what has previously worked.

LEGENDS SIGNATURES

Always a great looking card, player selection this year leaves much to be desired. Don't get me wrong, Tallis & Buderus are fabulous players and definitely legends but compared to Johns, Raper, Coote, Lewis, Sterlo they are just not in that class. It seemed initially that all players selected were from the CORL top 100 until Menzies last year. This was the way to go and on top of that both Newcastle and Brisbane have had legends. Why not Meninga or Clyde? Why not Jnr Pearce or Terry Lamb? I could go on forever!

DYNAMIC DUOS

Slightly plain given how limited and hard to get these are but I like the concept. The players selection doesn't have to be the elite players but needed to be 'duos'. The Raiders had their halves - tick, Cooper and Lowe generally play on opposite edges and seldom combine. The point was raised that the Dogs and Cows already had duos in 2015 and I initially thought that they were included again so the design across a few releases was the same but this obviously isn't the case. I really can't answer why the Dogs and Cows got another before teams like the Eels, Warriors, Titans, Storm and Knights.

CASE CARDS

I have never had an issue with these as they have remained consistent in theme and do have different info to the legends signatures. Great to see these numbered for the first time and the amount limited.

OVERALL

Good release, improvements from last year and an enjoyable product to bust and collect. The value for money is okay given the amount of high end cards available so I will give it a solid 7.8/10

We are one month past release so I thought I would throw together the standard review. As always feel free to comment, I have no doubt that some of the suggestions posted from the last few releases have impacted the next release.

FOLDERS

Same design as last year but different colouring. The folders are very basic and nice and clean looking. Pages are obviously cheaper ones but do the job for a base set and some low end subsets. For $25 (cheaper from dealers) you can't really argue with the folder, plenty of pages, album card and two packets. Thank god they stopped gluing the packets to the folders!!!

MILESTONES

I really applaud the concept of having a bonus card only available in starters. The cards themselves are fine, very shiny which makes them a touch cheaper in my opinion. I really liked the design of the Milestones from the 2014 release, they should have gone with that. Design aside the biggest let down with these is they should be in some sort of protective slip and there should be more than three in the set. Just like the JT and Smith box cards from 2016 Elite they needed to increases the number in this set to at least six players.

BASE SET

Nothing fancy in these as you would expect from a Traders release. Perhaps some more stats on the back and would love to see the common subsets make a return! The rear of the AFL cards contain a plethora of stats which is fantastic in comparison.

PARALLELS

Sensational! One of the best if not best parallel sets I have seen released. Nice clean images, different to the base sets and the real winner is the reflective image of the player in the background. I don't usually collect parallels but put together a set of these ones because they look that good!

FACES OF THE GAME

The only downside to these is the moving of the signature panel to the side. If the players signed this panel then they look great but not all players do and with the reluctance of some players to sign cards these days you get what you are given! I am not an IP collector however I get one of the very decent members from this site to get the Raiders ones done for me and they are an excellent addition to the PC.

PIECES OF THE PUZZLE

While they feel like a common card I still like this set being included as the puzzles when completed look very effective in a folder. These are only 1:6 and a large set to complete so no point changing the design to significantly, keep these rolling on!

SEASON TO REMEMBER

Great to see these back, was really disappointed when they removed them from 16 Traders. The look a bit like the Elite base from last year but I like how they have focused on individual players who had sensational seasons. The cards feel good in hand and a completed set looks good in the folder as it proves a nice contrast to the other subsets.

CLUB HEROES

Essentially the club player of the year cards from the old Select days. I don't mind these as the selected players are generally some of the better players at each. I like that the cards highlight each clubs different awards and the foil board finish makes them not a bad card to look at.

STARTOONS

These are quite cool. I like the acetate finish on the regular version and the different style on the album version. Obviously aimed at our younger collectors but I am sure most of the ólder' collectors enjoy these two. A good change up from the cyber heroes, good to see the centre card still included so the set fits in two sleeves.

PLAYMAKERS

Great concept but really let down by the dull matte finish. I think these should have been at least 1:72 or 1:108 and jazzed up a bit. The backs should have included the relevant playmakijg stats.

RETIREMENTS

Always a nice looking card, generally a few top players. The biggest let down for these was the 2013 Traders where they were 1:9 packets instead of 1:72. I still believe that this has kept the price down drastically on these. The images and club the card is given to are sometimes a bit puzzling. For rep players like Creagh his card should have had a St George, Country and NSW image. The card should go to the club where they played the bulk of the footy. In some cases like Mick Ennis where he only played two seasons for the Sharks but was a major cog and won a premiership with them I have no issues with both of the major clubs getting a logo on the card.

SAS BLACK / GOLD / AUTHENTIC

I didn't mind these last year but this years cards are a significant improvement. The complete foil finish and green signature on last years blacks made them look cheap, they have nailed the design this year on all levels and the player selection is very good. Another Oates signature on the back of his jersey signature was a bit of an oversight but I suppose you need to consider player availability and also that ESP are offside with a few other talent agencies. Getting Cronk to sign was epic and I am very happy with a Leilua

PREDICTORS

The cards themselves look okay, the numbering is odd and the redemption process even more so! For a higher end card of this nature there should be more than 20 gold parallels sets available for those who manage to put together a set. My theory is that the 20 gold parallels sets were not even an option and they would just run with the winning team until there was a bit of an uproar among collectors. There is no shame in allowing for more than 20 sets to be redeemed and will keep value in the cards. What happens when the season is done and dusted, hundreds of overpriced, numbered club logo cards! In saying all this I am glad that the predictors have made a comeback but they should have stuck with what has previously worked.

LEGENDS SIGNATURES

Always a great looking card, player selection this year leaves much to be desired. Don't get me wrong, Tallis & Buderus are fabulous players and definitely legends but compared to Johns, Raper, Coote, Lewis, Sterlo they are just not in that class. It seemed initially that all players selected were from the CORL top 100 until Menzies last year. This was the way to go and on top of that both Newcastle and Brisbane have had legends. Why not Meninga or Clyde? Why not Jnr Pearce or Terry Lamb? I could go on forever!

DYNAMIC DUOS

Slightly plain given how limited and hard to get these are but I like the concept. The players selection doesn't have to be the elite players but needed to be 'duos'. The Raiders had their halves - tick, Cooper and Lowe generally play on opposite edges and seldom combine. The point was raised that the Dogs and Cows already had duos in 2015 and I initially thought that they were included again so the design across a few releases was the same but this obviously isn't the case. I really can't answer why the Dogs and Cows got another before teams like the Eels, Warriors, Titans, Storm and Knights.

CASE CARDS

I have never had an issue with these as they have remained consistent in theme and do have different info to the legends signatures. Great to see these numbered for the first time and the amount limited.

OVERALL

Good release, improvements from last year and an enjoyable product to bust and collect. The value for money is okay given the amount of high end cards available so I will give it a solid 7.8/10

Nailed it once again! Mentioned every concern I had.
The predictor is the biggest fault with them pretty much useless bar one after the grand final.

Last edited:
Another great summary.

I agree the Pearls are a nice card and the different image is well worth the effort. My only small gripe with the base and the parallel sets is why are they 10 cards including the logo the pages in the folders hold 9 cards a page yet the set is 10.

The predictors, well we all agree these haven't been thought through and with only a premiers redemption then and added 20 gold parallel redemption's they are missing a great opportunity to make this release collectible in future years. As in the past ESP / TLA seem willing to take on board feedback and this one really needs a rethink.

I think it is a pretty sound release and hope the rumors I've heard about the Legend sub set getting scrapped is not correct and yes please try harder to find quality past Legends. Use old timers and give back to some of the Men of League who need a helping hand.

Cheers
Ross

Good point on the ten cards per team set Ross, forget to mention this.

Agreed on legends also, older players and keep them going, easily ESP's best set

Love your reviews mate

Just on the legends concept. Is it a possibility with the NRL owning the rights to the Immortals concept that ESP could go in that direction next year with an Immortal signature card? Even if it was 'future immortal' or something down that road

Love your reviews mate

Just on the legends concept. Is it a possibility with the NRL owning the rights to the Immortals concept that ESP could go in that direction next year with an Immortal signature card? Even if it was 'future immortal' or something down that road

I suppose it is an option however I am not so sure that ESP want to pay the price that players of that ilk demand and deserve

I could see the first two being Smith & JT...

I suppose they would have to continue with the road to immortality theme given that neither are officially Immortals but will likely be one day.

If as rumoured and there is some sort of 110 year of RL set next year then options are endless insert wise. As you know Centenary is by far and away my favourite release and if I were to have one criticism it would be that none of the insert sets aside from the Captains signature focused or included the present.

I suppose they would have to continue with the road to immortality theme given that neither are officially Immortals but will likely be one day.

If as rumoured and there is some sort of 110 year of RL set next year then options are endless insert wise. As you know Centenary is by far and away my favourite release and if I were to have one criticism it would be that none of the insert sets aside from the Captains signature focused or included the present.

I love your common subset idea. Could work really well in a set like that

Love your reviews mate

Mmmm where are you going with this? A future Immortal set would be over in 1 release.

I could see the first two being Smith & JT...

Oh now its clear your thinking of your man crush. :lol:

Mate I know you'd love to add yet another Smith or JT to the PC but please variety is the spice of life and lets not introduce yet another random tangent sub set ESP pick and stick and just keep doing Legends well.

Lets just wait and then do them again when and if they become Immortals.

Cheers
Ross

Mmmm where are you going with this? A future Immortal set would be over in 1 release.

Oh now its clear your thinking of your man crush. :lol:

Mate I know you'd love to add yet another Smith or JT to the PC but please variety is the spice of life and lets not introduce yet another random tangent sub set ESP pick and stick and just keep doing Legends well.

Lets just wait and then do them again when and if they become Immortals.

Cheers
Ross

Believe me im not worried about getting another official Smith or JT signature card as much as i love them

I agree the Pearls are a nice card and the different image is well worth the effort. My only small gripe with the base and the parallel sets is why are they 10 cards including the logo the pages in the folders hold 9 cards a page yet the set is 10.

I just lump all the logos together and leave 1 page per team! But overall, you're got it right Brendan.

Agree the Pearls looked great. Predictors I'm stressing about, have 15 so far but still maybe I'll get shafted!

My biggest worry with this set is how little of it is being busted.

Are future releases sustainable at this rate? Only a question TLA can answer.

I would love to see them do 9 players per team as a genuine action shot, then a second 9 close-up/faces type card instead of the parallel.

Also having alphbetical order is getting boring. Spin back to the old days and have the teams in the order of the previous years finish!

My biggest worry with this set is how little of it is being busted.

Are future releases sustainable at this rate? Only a question TLA can answer.

They have to be given the minimum guarantee.......the amount they need to print to sell to meet the massive minimum guarantee means that things like Traders will always be mass produced.

They have to be given the minimum guarantee.......the amount they need to print to sell to meet the massive minimum guarantee means that things like Traders will always be mass produced.

I understand that, but the maths of mass-production for a tiny market doesn't seem sustainable to me? They can say that their stock is selling out until the cows come home, but it appears that very little of it is getting bought and busted, at least by entrenched, regular collectors. How many #001's are going to stay unbusted in this and future Traders releases? Will they renew their licence if there is no (or a heavily eroding) future profit margin? If not will a new company take the reigns with the NRL's lofty minimum guarantee...Select didn't seem interested.

I know these issues have been created by the NRL not TLA and I'm not trying to rag on them or anybody, I'm just struggling to see how the market is viable at the moment and in the future and that has me concerned. But then I'm over here in rural NZ and not in Sydney newsagents to see the physical stock disappear off the shelves so I wouldn't know. I'm probably looking at it too simplistically. For all I know trading cards are just a very small part of a contract TLA has with the NRL.

...And for the record, I hope that I am misunderstanding the way that the market is working, because I love collecting footy cards. And the production quality of the cards is increasing every year under TLA. This Traders set is no exception.

Anyway I didn't mean to derail another great review from Brendan. I'm a high school philosophy teacher and sometimes I wake up the next day after visiting OZCT to find my overactive imagination has blurted across poor defenseless forum pages...

It would be nice to hear some feedback from dealers as to their thoughts and the quantity being bought / busted.

From a quick look at the group Breaks forum it looks like Michael did 3 cases of 2016 Traders at release and the same again this year with 2017 Traders.

Having just got back into cards i cant really compare them to the past traders series,
i will however say,
i love the Pearls, they are awesome
The STR are amazing love them as well, may do a set of those as well as an Eels team set
the foil sigs are not to bad, love the variances between the Black and The Gold

the biggest disappointment for me is the Startoons, all i can think of is Champions Gems...BLAH!!
and not fond of the Club Heroes

i will say this though and it can probably be just bad luck but between me and my 2 boys we have busted 9 boxes from 2 different newsagents and the best hit we have had is a gold SAS.
i know someone else that has busted 3 from a newsagent and hasnt hit anything either ???

love the release in general, just would like a fairer go on the big hits lol

Back
Top Bottom