2017 select footy stars (flier attached)

How is everyone enjoying the release so far? Crikey, I've seen lots and lots of Sale/Trade and Want threads over the last week or so!

It's funny, we always say "another bloody KIDS release" - yet there's always SOMETHING us "oldies" want from it! :)

Happy with the design of the cards?

Thoughts on the Stand-ups concept and in particular the platinum Stand-ups being numbered?
Pretty solid release I reckon, and an improvement on 2016 Footy Stars (which wasn't bad either!).

Designs are good - originally I wasn't sure about the Brownlow Predictor design but now that I've got one in hand I'm impressed. A-Graders look cool too.

Don't mind the Standups - not my absolute favourite subset but not bad to fill the 1:2 slot. I'm happy with the numbered Platinums, if only because it means there's a second numbered hit in each box. If they weren't numbered I don't think they'd hold much value at all.

How is everyone enjoying the release so far? Crikey, I've seen lots and lots of Sale/Trade and Want threads over the last week or so!

It's funny, we always say "another bloody KIDS release" - yet there's always SOMETHING us "oldies" want from it! :)

Happy with the design of the cards?

Thoughts on the Stand-ups concept and in particular the platinum Stand-ups being numbered?
I gotta say I love this release. The predictors in particular are a very nice card. I like the way they are designed. Plus getting a extra 1:36 card is great value.

I really like the Brownlow predictors, but think 2 or 3 per team would be plenty. A-graders don't do much for me, take or leave the star burst cards, their ok. The rainbow parallel cards are real nice, great concept and execution. Always liked the milestones and these are no different, I guess I like them because they have meaning. But the stand ups are shocking, it's great the platinums are numbered but seriously, a pop up card is a shocking idea. I hope they keep a second numbered card per box next year but ditch the stand ups. I must admit, I'm a little disgruntled as I don't think you'll find anyone who's has worse luck than me with this release. But that's not Select's fault and all part of collecting, you win some and you lose some. This year just hasn't been kind to me.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention how much I love the Holo Foils. Beautiful cards and wouldn't look out of place in a Series 2 release.

I really like the Brownlow predictors, but think 2 or 3 per team would be plenty. A-graders don't do much for me, take or leave the star burst cards, their ok. The rainbow parallel cards are real nice, great concept and execution. Always liked the milestones and these are no different, I guess I like them because they have meaning. But the stand ups are shocking, it's great the platinums are numbered but seriously, a pop up card is a shocking idea. I hope they keep a second numbered card per box next year but ditch the stand ups. I must admit, I'm a little disgruntled as I don't think you'll find anyone who's has worse luck than me with this release. But that's not Select's fault and all part of collecting, you win some and you lose some. This year just hasn't been kind to me.
I've had no luck this year either. I'm 99.99% sure you can find the Platinums and Predictors (just not sure how)
visited a newsagency today. 2 packs were sold or removed from the box. So 34 of the 36 packs remained. Purchased every last one of them and both the predictor and platinum were not there. got 3 starburst, 4 milestones, 6 a graders, 18 standups etc.
Finished buying packs.

I've had no luck this year either. I'm 99.99% sure you can find the Platinums and Predictors (just not sure how)
visited a newsagency today. 2 packs were sold or removed from the box. So 34 of the 36 packs remained. Purchased every last one of them and both the predictor and platinum were not there. got 3 starburst, 4 milestones, 6 a graders, 18 standups etc.
Finished buying packs.
Ouch! That's shocking luck. Definitely does make you wonder if there's a way of box searching.

Ouch! That's shocking luck. Definitely does make you wonder if there's a way of box sea
I'm certain you can find them. Thinking about another experience I had close by makes me certain there is. A Coles express servo near me had 3 boxes. All 3 were opened which was odd because in the past they only open 1 per time. Each opened box had a couple missing packs per box. That occasion I didn't buy any.
Today at the newsagents I thought the odds were stacked in my favour. It's definitely Suss when all other inserts were there (apart from 1 starburst)
Will stick to buying single cards here and feebay.

What newsagency do is they open 1 box or 2 and sit them at different counters, then when the boxes become low on packs they will open another box and fill up the currently opened box or boxes.

So you need to ask them if you can buy packs from a brand new box and tell them to open it in front of you.

Just trying to establish the print run for this product ie how many boxes per case and how many cases were produced. Any help would be greatly appreciated

12 boxes per case

brownlow predictors = 145x275 = 39875 boxes
platinums = 108x375 = 40500 boxes

Last years below, maybe a few more produced this year based on BP/platinum totals?

There are 36,000 boxes produced in total.

675 Cases with Case Cards for Hobby

250 Cases for Starter Packs (no Case Cards)

125 Cases for Loose Packs for Albums (no Case Cards)

1950 Cases for Newsagents (no Case Cards)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the starburst caricature purple cards are found at the same odds of 1:12 packets in the starter packs or are there no odds stated ? Thanks for any help

Every Starter pack has 1 Starburst Purple card. And every starter pack has 3 packs of cards.You basically get the Starburst Purple card free because the starter packs cost $9.

Definately searching going on or something. Just watching facebook with the same people talking about how much "luck" they had every single day. One person said they brought 40 packs and gor like 20 platinums and predictors.

I dknt know, they could be lucky and me just jealius, but to me something fishy is going on. Odds of 1 in 2 packs being the main hit is impossible in my opinikn yet they seem to be doing it every day. If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat then generally it is a rat ahhhah

From Select's Facebook page in regards to FootyTips competition

"IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING OUR FOOTY TIPPING COMPETITION

Due to the overwhelming response we have received in our Footy Tipping competition this year, we will be making the following amendment to our weekly Tip 9 prize. As of Round 3, the weekly Tip 9 winners will receive a packet of 2017 Footy Stars cards. We will also be incorporating our weekly Guess The Margin competition into our Footy Tipping competition, so that anyone who tips 9 for the round, AND guesses the margin correctly for the Friday night game on our Facebook page will win a box of 2017 Footy Stars cards. We trust that our loyal fans and collectors will understand this decision, and appreciate the over $20,000 in prizes up for grabs in our free Footy Tipping competition."

Originally the prize for having all 9 tips right for the week got a free box of 2017 Select Footy Stars, and I was lucky enough to be one of those people who got all 9 tips right this week so I also got a box. But since 145 people (I think) also got all 9 tips correct, that means that they lost over $15,000 bucks since the competition is free. So pretty much their generosity backfired big time, and I kinda feel bad about it even though I got a free box.

Back
Top Bottom