2017 Goals

ElijahCraigHyde

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jarrah
For the first day of 2017, thought I'd post a new thread sharing my personal goals and others' ideas in terms of what they might consider collecting this season and also to review the previous year gone by...

What are your goals to collect in 2017?

Anything considering collecting you missed out last year and previous years?

What was your highlight in collecting in 2016?

Your biggest disappointment in 2016?

What are you expecting in the card releases in 2017?

What would you like ESP to do differently (if applicable) to make you can your hands on more on it? (ie. more cards and/or set buildings)

What has been your favourite release and/or cards so far? And is there anything different cards sets you will consider planning a collection for this year apart from the 2017 ones?

Love these threads!

What are your goals to collect in 2017? To complete all Raiders cards across all releases, finish my 05 Inspirations set (2 cards) and to add at least one Immortal signature to my Centenary master set

Anything considering collecting you missed out last year and previous years? No, rarely go back in years to put together sets I hadn't previously started.

What was your highlight in collecting in 2016? Raiders sapphire & ruby mojo's, Woolford 04 Captains Signature and Lewis, Churchill Immortal signatures

Your biggest disappointment in 2016? Nothing really springs to mind card wise.

What are you expecting in the card releases in 2017? Bigger volume and having to spend more money to reach my collecting goals

What would you like ESP to do differently (if applicable) to make you can your hands on more on it? (ie. more cards and/or set buildings) Ensure that Elite ratio's are at a point where a 'dud' box doesn't exist.

What has been your favourite release and/or cards so far? And is there anything different cards sets you will consider planning a collection for this year apart from the 2017 ones? ESP or overall? 08 Centenary is always a stand alone for me, never to be repeated set. From ESP I would say 16 Elite was their pinnacle at this stage

To complete all the eels releases from 2017 and hopefully come by the acetate signature cards of dymock and Jason smith at fair prices

No, only the 1996 signatures as above. Had thoughts of going back to 1968 on my eels PC.

I've had a great 2016 on the eels pc front so any of this is a highlight

IMG_1023.JPG

Nothing, have had a great year.

larger volumes of eels cards, hoping the elite only sticks to at worst the /20 mojos and /40 mojos

What would you like ESP to do differently (if applicable) to make you can your hands on more on it? (ie. more cards and/or set buildings)

I'm pretty happy with ESP as I don't buy boxes and get most of my cards on the secondary market

What has been your favourite release and/or cards so far? And is there anything different cards sets you will consider planning a collection for this year apart from the 2017 ones?

08 Centenary is a great release, if I had the $$$$ I would master set that in addition to my eels PC but don't. The 2016 elite has been the best ESP release thus far.

To collect more IPS through TTM. And get close to finishing 2008 Centenary Top 100 (Need Provan, Beetson, Gasnier, Fulton, Price, McCarthy, Ettingshausen and a few more). Also get some signed scanlens bulldogs cards.
TCM Oversized Cards. Although a bit expensive for me at 25 Dollars, I've seen many player appearance notices from the Canterbury Club only to realize that I didn't have anything for Craig Garvey or Herman Esese to get signed. Garvey got an Elite last year but this was before that.
Getting back my first TTM Mailday and my Mal Meninga cards signed. Didn't think it would work out at first but it did.
image (1).jpeg
image.jpeg

Losing all my cards through the mail which were sent to Channel Nine (Lewis, Lockyer, Fittler, Sterling). Ettingshausen and Langlands daughter have been very irresponsive, but they should turn up one day.
Absolute shit.
Simplicity in sets. Collectable for everyone. So a bit like Stimorol or Scanlens. Insert's are fine, but the common cards provide the building blocks of card collections. Its interesting that as time has progressed common cards get binned more often then they did in earlier years.
2008 Centenary was great for commons but the inserts werent good. I've always been a huge fan of stimorol. And really just to collect IPs. Dont have a massive amount so collecting everything but may downsize later although unlikely.

@Delta

Out of interest what don't you like about the Centenary inserts?
I just think that buying packs or boxes from that set really isnt worth it unless you hit an immortal signature. The Holofoil Club Logos are basically parallels, the TOTC set was good and so were the immortals, but think they overdid it with the foil signature cards. I would think that only one of the two sets would be enough, as it was the centenary year and it would have been better to make a card collection which encompassed more legends of our game rather than the few that were the best. I think the Past Heroes is the best of the lot, but not a big fan of the circular holographic background.

Tola

I just think that buying packs or boxes from that set really isnt worth it unless you hit an immortal signature. The Holofoil Club Logos are basically parallels, the TOTC set was good and so were the immortals, but think they overdid it with the foil signature cards. I would think that only one of the two sets would be enough, as it was the centenary year and it would have been better to make a card collection which encompassed more legends of our game rather than the few that were the best. I think the Past Heroes is the best of the lot, but not a big fan of the circular holographic background.

Tola
Don't you think it's enough scope in that set??

Cards of the top 100 players as voted on, 32 past heroes of players that were not in the top 100 players, 5 cards per team of current players.

That's over 200 different players past and present

Then a insert set focusing on the the team of the centenary for each of the higher and lower end collectors is a good idea.

Then the immortal sigs, arguably the best sig insert set of all time is a nice finish to a great set

Tola

Good perspective but this was very much a one off, themed release which is why the insert subsets were structured the way they were. Boxes / packets are pricey but this is what keeps the value of the set up. Over the past 6 months I have been getting $40 per base set + postage, you don't see base cards aside from 2000 command that anymore.

The value in a set like this may not necessarily be evident per box or packet but when completing full sets, the TOTC foil signatures still command on average $35ea + which is more than most on card TP signatures limited to half of the TOTCFS production run.

I am very bias as I love the history and nostalgia side of the game and you rarely see this in modern releases.

Hindsight being 20/20 I think Immortal sketches should have been 1:144 (4 boxes) so that they were limited to 375, Immortals should have been 1:72 instead of 1:36 and another box hit capturing modern greats who are potential Immortals.

Don't you think it's enough scope in that set??

Cards of the top 100 players as voted on, 32 past heroes of players that were not in the top 100 players, 5 cards per team of current players.

That's over 200 different players past and present

Then a insert set focusing on the the team of the centenary for each of the higher and lower end collectors is a good idea.

Then the immortal sigs, arguably the best sig insert set of all time is a nice finish to a great set
Well, if you put it that way, then sure it sounds enough, but I thought there could have been a different set then the foiled signatures and sketches.

1) Anything Cameron Smith (considering it's his last season) or Munster to keep in eye out
2) Commence my 2015 Elite masterset
3) Touch-up on previous incomplete master sets dating back to 2011 bearing in mind none of a priority
4) Apart from that I will be continuing my GWS IP-PC but I will leave it to the Aussie Rules forum for that stuff

Yes, Platinum WCH from 2014 Elite - the 6 I have still to go @TOW and if necessary I might try to grab hold of the Smith and Gallen case cards from 2013 Elite.

1) Completing the vast majority of my 2014 Elite master set, not to mention snapping up a Cam Smith LS & DCE low number signatures
2) Snapping up a Black Gidley LL to match my Sold-gold IP of him thus to fill the final two spare pockets of my 18-combined set of YGs from 2014
3) Grabbing hold of a Black Cowboys LL low number (004) -- something I genuinely thought I'd never find not to mention another Black Cam LL card.
4) Completing the majority of my 2012 Dynasty League Leader solid-gold set not to mention snapping up Gold Cowboys #07/150 --Thurston's Guernsey

Had I to say one thing, lack of patience got the better of me at times but bottom line is Better Late Than Never!!!

2017 Traders the best yet to come and as for 2017 Elite, I AM anticipating a third mojo variant being the Emerald @/10 along with the initial Sapphire @/20 and Ruby @/40 but fingers crossed most collectors will surrender to the fact pulling a greenie will be pretty slim therefore reducing the demand and not considering them a legit goal for building collections.

For the traders, I'd love to see Dynamic Duo continued and this year inclusive of a Storm DD - the 'Dynamic Cameron's' I'd love to see - Smith/Munster but fear others may not agree that's a legit DD. Nonetheless, I'd like to see a twist on this concept falling within the following varients:

DD Signature - Hand-signed by both players @/200; not necessary IN - pros means every card is a low number and prevents detration to /100 varient
DD Deluxe - Unsigned as traditional but on parallel style board @/100; Individually numbered

Finally Jillaroos mojo @ 1:3456 or 1:8 cases

For 2017 Elite refer to the individual reply to this thread...

2012 Dynasty Golds and Black LL cards; 2014 Elite World Cup Heroes and 2016 Elite Ruby and Sapphire mojo sets

And YES! - it looks as I will plan starting a 2015 Elite master set this season - yes I know it turned out a stinker for many collectors however the way insets are so cheap compared to when this release first came out has tempted me to take it on considering I'm practically done with 2014 Elite!

Last edited:
1) Anything Cameron Smith (considering it's his last season) or Munster to keep in eye out
3) Touch-up on previous incomplete master sets dating back to 2011 bearing in mind none of a priority
4) Apart from that I will be continuing my GWS IP-PC but I will leave it to the Aussie Rules forum for that stuff

Yes, Platinum WCH from 2014 Elite - the 6 I have still to go @TOW and if necessary I might try to grab hold of the Smith and Gallen case cards from 2013 Elite.

1) Completing the vast majority of my 2014 Elite master set, not to mention snapping up a Cam Smith LS & DCE low number signatures
2) Snapping up a Black Gidley LL to match my Sold-gold IP of him thus to fill the final two spare pockets of my 18-combined set of YGs from 2014
3) Grabbing hold of a Black Cowboys LL low number (004) -- something I genuinely thought I'd never find not to mention another Black Cam LL card.
4) Completing the majority of my 2012 Dynasty League Leader solid-gold set not to mention snapping up Gold Cowboys #07/150 --Thurston's Guernsey

Had I to say one thing, lack of patience got the better of me at times but bottom line is Better Late Than Never!!!

2017 Traders the best yet to come and as for 2017 Elite, I AM anticipating a third mojo variant being the Emerald @/10 along with the initial Sapphire @/20 and Ruby @/40 but fingers crossed most collectors will surrender to the fact pulling a greenie will be pretty slim therefore reducing the demand and not considering them a legit goal for building collections.

For the traders, I'd love to see Dynamic Duo continued and this year inclusive of a Storm DD - the 'Dynamic Cameron's' I'd love to see - Smith/Munster but fear others may not agree that's a legit DD. Nonetheless, I'd like to see a twist on this concept falling within the following varients:

DD Signature - Hand-signed by both players @/200; not necessary IN - pros means every card is a low number and prevents detration to /100 varient
DD Deluxe - Unsigned as traditional but on parallel style board @/100; Individually numbered

2012 Dynasty Golds and Black LL cards; 2014 Elite World Cup Heroes and 2016 Elite Ruby and Sapphire mojo sets

And YES! - it looks as I will plan starting a 2015 Elite master set this season - yes I know it turned out a stinker for many collectors however the way insets are so cheap compared to when this release first came out has tempted me to take it on considering I'm practically done with 2014 Elite!
Please no emerald /10 mojos!!!

I would rather all teams get a jersey sig and jersey card

2017 Elite (my ideal)

Common base (192)

Gold Specials (192) 1:3

Cream of the Crop (48 -3 key players per club) 1:6 + Parallel 1:24 @/130 per design

Young Guns (16); 1:24 @/390 pd

League Sensations (16); 1:72 @/130 pd

Match Worn Guernseys (16 -1 per club); @/150 pd (1:60 packs or 4 per case)

MWG Signature variants (16 -same as above); @/50 pd (1:180 packs or 2:3 cases =1, 1:3 cases=2)

League's Finest (16x9 sets; /40@1:Case; /20@1:2 cases; /10@1:4 cases
- Adapted from a high-end concerpt from AFL sereis II last year
- Same as Mojos but just not called that (perhaps to prevent parallel accusations lol and to make this concept speak for itself a little more) although still unofficially known by such term amongst collectors
- Printed on either Red, Blue or Green refracting board with US sports style high-end adaption
- All players printed in full colour 360 degree body mass (all different from other insets) in action shorts whilst scoring a try, field goal or making a wise decision etc
- Live photo background extract included but photo-shopped into golden foil stamping (forming this fiery mid-background effect) along with all other font facings including the serial number of card thus the xx/40, xx/20 or xx/10 appearing in the central right hand side of card therefore serial number artistically forming obverse part of design.
- Rear of card comprising a different profile to all other insets.

2017 Elite (my ideal)

Common base (192)

Gold Specials (192) 1:3

Cream of the Crop (48 -3 key players per club) 1:6 + Parallel 1:24 @/130 per design

Young Guns (16); 1:24 @/390 pd

League Sensations (16); 1:72 @/130 pd

Match Worn Guernseys (16 -1 per club); @/150 pd (1:60 packs or 4 per case)

MWG Signature variants (16 -same as above); @/50 pd (1:180 packs or 2:3 cases =1, 1:3 cases=2)

League's Finest (16x9 sets; /40@1:Case; /20@1:2 cases; /10@1:4 cases
- Adapted from a high-end concerpt from AFL sereis II last year
- Same as Mojos but just not called that (perhaps to prevent parallel accusations lol and to make this concept speak for itself a little more) although still unofficially known by such term amongst collectors
- Printed on either Red, Blue or Green refracting board with US sports style high-end adaption
- All players printed in full colour 360 degree body mass (all different from other insets) in action shorts whilst scoring a try, field goal or making a wise decision etc
- Live photo background extract included but photo-shopped into golden foil stamping (forming this fiery mid-background effect) along with all other font facings including the serial number of card thus the xx/40, xx/20 or xx/10 appearing in the central right hand side of card therefore serial number artistically forming obverse part of design.
- Rear of card comprising a different profile to all other insets.
I would like them to go back to 9 cards per team in the commons and golds

How do you figure its Cam Smiths last season? Contracted to 2018 and wants to go round in 2019 from what ive heard

How do you figure its Cam Smiths last season? Contracted to 2018 and wants to go round in 2019 from what ive heard
Well I thought that's what he announced at the end of last year's grand final. Noneless looks like that was incorrect - if the case, Cam Smith high-ends still something I'd be chasing - espcially should he be accounted for the Dynamic Duo concept!

I have a dream - 18 base cards per team.

It would give the commons more focus with more challenge for the average collector to complete a set plus a bit more base set value. 300 is not really that much considering other international sports set sizes. Also it's too easy to make a common set and many doubles are thrown out or stored away by collectors, seems a waste. Yeah I agree either 9 or 18, nothing in between.

My logic is unarguable. Remember this day. Make it happen ESP.

Please no emerald /10 mojos!!!

I would rather all teams get a jersey sig and jersey card

As a matter of fact, I do not disagree with you! Just what I am personally expecting. Should there be no Emerald /10 mojo there should be no Sapphire /20 either. That would make last year's blue mojo sets gain more value IMO. I do however believe two mojo sets ought to take place - how about a Pearl /80 (1:120) along with the Ruby /40? Also I do believe in having a jersey card for all 16 clubs - in the case of a Pearl /80 and Ruby /40 mojo variants, how about one Guernsey card per club @/130 (1:72 or 1:3 boxes) along with the signature variant @/40 (1:240 or 1:case)? That therefore means 1 case search card per box - in other words 1 case contains 3 LS signatures; 3 unsigned MWG concept; 2 pearl mojo packs; 1 ruby mojo and 1 MWG signature concept!

Back
Top Bottom