2016 Select Footy Stars (Series 1)

@Rachel Forget $30, I can't see a Billy Longer going for $15...

@adz2332 If Series 2 is a flop and/or another Honours release, I'm gonna try and contact the email to convince them to get someone else to have the license. I imagine Tap n Play, TC, ESP, maybe even some American companies (though I'm only dreamin') would love to have the AFL license.

I like the release
I understand that people are not happy with the amount of players in the predictor set but with 7 days until the season even starts how can anyone narrow it down to a handful of possible players that can win the brownlow. All it takes is an injury to dangerfield then fyfe & mitchell get suspened for stupid things and that opens the field right up. and yes there are players in the that would have no chance ie Billy longer. But imagine how annoying it would be if you were to sell a predictor cheap and then there was a massive upset come brownlow night and you sold that players card for $30.

There are always upsets come brownlow medal nights. 2000 is the perfect example woewodin beat scott west, mcleod, kouta, buckley, voss, hird and carey. In 93 wanganeen beat greg williams, hocking, carey and buckley as a 20 year old, In 95 paul kelly won when he was a 25/1 chance before the count.

If you look back to the other 2 brownlow predictor releases they both had lots of names that would never be consider to be a chance to win ie whitnall and hall in the 2006 release

So let's say, for the sake of discussion, 10 fancies for this year's Brownlow set someone back 60 bucks each if eBay is any sort of guide!? That in all my newness to arithmetic is a lazy 600 right there.

What happens in October when 250 of these things flood the market. How much does anyone think they're going to get back??? The redeemed Brownlow card will be lucky to get $40...because Select have ordered 200 too many of them.

Just sayin'

It's a funny hobby at times ;)

So let's say, for the sake of discussion, 10 fancies for this year's Brownlow set someone back 60 bucks each if eBay is any sort of guide!? That in all my newness to arithmetic is a lazy 600 right there.

What happens in October when 250 of these things flood the market. How much does anyone think they're going to get back??? The redeemed Brownlow card will be lucky to get $40...because Select have ordered 200 too many of them.

Just sayin'

It's a funny hobby at times ;)
All predictors suck. In your method, may I ask, how much will a Billy Longer Predictor go for?
As I said above, if they do a complete flop in Series 2 or make the brand Honours something again, I'm gonna try and convince the AFL to introduce competition for the license.

Alot of the cards will remain in team and collector's set not to mention do you really think all boxes will be busted? There isn't a great chance of that amount being flooded. If the redeemed Brownlow card is worth $40, then sign me up as I guarantee you anybody with a clue will jump on it.

All predictors suck. In your method, may I ask, how much will a Billy Longer Predictor go for?
As I said above, if they do a complete flop in Series 2 or make the brand Honours something again, I'm gonna try and convince the AFL to introduce competition for the license.

What's preventing you from doing it now? Might as well do something about it if you feel the product sucks. Whatever you say though, don't ever wish ESP gets the AFL license as per one of your earlier posts lol.

You only have to read the NRL ESP release threads to understand how upset NRL collector's are with ESP.

Billy Who? ;) No idea...just looked at Pendlebury, Ablett, etc. Maybe Dyson Heppell (saw one listed for $50) might be better to for supreme optimists to tip into, just for the ridiculousness of it all!

And I agree, competition can only be good. Soviet Russia...Telstra...Select...monopolies don't work.

It's Series 2 I'm more worried about @CardHawk because that's the one you spend $180 on average for, you expect quality. And BTW, I actually hate ESP, but they have some signed memorabilia deal with the AFL, so I think they'd be front runners for a license. And you're right, Mr. Wang will keep hundreds boxes in his store that will just gather dust.

@Alex D Those last two sentences are so beast and so true.

I was just wondering how many Hall of Fame signature cards will be in the 2nd series from select ? Anyone got any ideas............

Well looking at it logically,
1. There are no more draft signature cards for the foreseeable future. @ 1 per box
2. They have covered every possible Brownlow Medal card known to man.
3. Certified Signature cards might be back 1 per box again.

But wait for it, The Hall of Fame started in what year ? 1996 last update in 2007 ? What else do they have ? Anyone got any ideas ?

I have said previously that I think that the retired multiple Premiership coaches should be honoured with signature cards. Off the top of my head (who am I trying to kid, I used Wikipedia!), Select could choose from:

*Michael Malthouse - 1992, 1994, 2010
*Kevin Sheedy - 1984, 1985, 1993, 2000
*Leigh Matthews - 1990, 2001, 2002, 2003
*David Parkin - 1978, 1981, 1982, 1995
*John Kennedy Snr - 1961, 1971, 1976
*Ron Barassi - 1968, 1970, 1975, 1977

Thoughts? Is this the idea of a stark raving lunatic? :)

Last edited:
I have said previously that I think that the retired multiple Premiership coaches should be honoured with signature cards. Off the top of my head (who am I trying to kid, I used Wikipedia!), Select could choose from:

I really like the idea but I don't think it will happen. It would have to be individual cards for each year, 22 signature cards. I suppose it could replace certified signatures !

That's not a bad idea, not least because all of those that you list were more than handy in there playing days. Might need to be soon if at all for Kennedy? He's got to be pushing 90. Norm Smith is the most enduringly available of the Team of the Century but they were of course unsigned.

Thought they might have done a Legend or HoF series of caricatures. A nice shiny Dick Reynolds or Son of Serge would have been been a squillion times better than the Starburst crap that is just a reprise of the other crap but is now twice as crap now they have a blue version too!?!?

The latest news for Series 2 is more Brownlow stuff. This is because the WAGs are demanding a Red Carpet signature series. Or not ;) Maybe the Norm Smiths will get a go? No Woewodin at least!

John Kennedy Snr did have a signature card in the 2011 Heritage Album release. Last season he sat down for a one-on-one interview with Alastair Clarkson just prior to the finals and he was in terrific form. He remains extremely lucid and knowledgeable - follows the Hawks very closely :)

Norm Smith medallists - those prior to the first of Select's regular "Series 2" signature cards of them - would be a great idea! Coleman medallists would be popular too I reckon. I would love to see a "centurions" set or something similar in the future.

@Matt76 How about a one per case insert for players who are leading their team in best & fairest awards?
(Of all time)
Some enticing names if that was to happen:

*Carlton: John Nicholls
*Collingwood: Nathan Buckley
*Hawthorn: Leigh Matthews
*St Kilda: Nick Riewoldt
*Western Bulldogs: Scott West
*Sydney: Bob Skilton

I do like the idea of a "themed" release although I do agree with others that the Brownlow medal theme has run its race for now.

Themed releases make me hate them more. My favourite release of all time is 2004 Conquest. You can get a rare, low numbered card that can sell for thousands, nice rookie autos, some sweet inserts and some good sig redemptions to go with the tri-Brownlow winners from the previous winner, for $170 a box.

And by the way, if Select were replaced as AFL Card maker, I can tell you that Topps would have a good chance of doing something in the market.
They made AFL Chipz, which I loved from 2008-2010, and they made a ploy for the market in around 2012, but Select won the battle. Panini, who you'll know for their basketball cards and FIFA World Cup stickers, also tried to get the market in around 2012.

Back
Top Bottom