2016 Select Footy Stars (Series 1)

I can't remember a series one being this well received since 2011 Champions and the Star Signatures. Actually it's amazing how footy is a moving feast, looking back at that. Of the players included in the signature cards: Kurt Tippett is now at Sydney, Eddie Betts is now at Adelaide, Darren Jolly has retired, James Podsiadly moved to Adelaide and then retired, Brad Sewell has retired and Chris Newman has retired. Only Mark LeCras and Andrew Swallow are still at their original clubs.

On another subject, has anyone been lucky enough to hit a Nathan Fyfe or Gary Ablett Brownlow predictor yet? Just looking at eBay, there are a few optimistic sellers by the looks of things!! Not going to single out any major eBay sellers, suffice to say that both my eyebrows are raised :)

I watched this kid open 3 packets on YouTube and he pulled a Gazza predictor.

if anyone is busting lots of boxes and can do me a good deal on multiple port items plz pm me

Last year someone posted a link to the specific newsagents that sold cards. Does anyone know if a list for WA exists this year?

Did Select produce a promo card set for this release ? They usually do a four card promo set but have not seen one anywhere....
I don't think so mate. My Dad usually gets promo cards and a sell sheet from Select and I do from Card Zone (with their current catalogue) but this year we received neither. Am happy to stand corrected though!

I don't think so mate. My Dad usually gets promo cards and a sell sheet from Select and I do from Card Zone (with their current catalogue) but this year we received neither. Am happy to stand corrected though!
you are correct mate!!! i emailed and asked Select Australia in regards and that is the situation. No promo cards this year and checklist will be inside each album.

Hey guys,
Just wanted to know what your feedback would be for this release? I'm hearing that there are plenty of people buying this product to re-sell on ebay, but not many buyers? Any truth to this?

A fair chunk of the pictures used for these cards are from previous years?

On a side note, Select's favourite re-seller (you know, the guy that said not to buy if you don't like the product) has made a 20% decline in sales from last years release (don't think last years release was that flash hot?)

Like I said, I'm only going by what I've been told, however, would really appreciate your opinions.

@BoondasH1 2/10

Select have included banned Essendon players in the Brownlow Predictor set, and there are players like Matthew Jaensch, who retired, and Billy Longer and some other guys (can't remember any others), who have no chance of a top three finish in their club best and fairest, but are included in this set.

The base cards are nice and clean, good for TTMs and IPs, but the Eite Parallels look anything but Elite, some pictures are the same as other years (really???), Hot Numbers cards look ugly, Milestone cards are kinda decent but are getting old, Thunder & Lightning cards seem odd & the Starburst caricatures look ugly as well.

And of course at $108 a box from my local newsagent.

Is the main Select distributor Wangy from CardZone? His store is good, but the way he treats those who criticise Select is not. Thankfully, I buy most of my AFL from the AFL Store & news agencies, but even then, I got a basketball card box which could cost about $90 shipped from the US for $140 from him, and got jack. He marks up products way too high.

I think a lot of team collectors like myself will be holding off buying the Brownlow predictors we want until the prices drop. The Hawks predictors are sitting quite high at the moment but think once the season starts and Brownlow favourites are clear the price of all others will drop. I wont be paying more than around $30 each. These will end up similar to the prime draft cards from 2013, these are numbered out of only 145 and i have some listed on eBay under $40 and they wont sell. These predictors are numbered to 250.
Overall i don't mind this release, it's much better than the previous years series 1 so that's a positive i guess. But still more of a kids release so will save for series 2 where i am holding out for another step in the right direction from Select.

What sounded like a good release is far from it.. again.
Small problems that kill a release have surfaced.
to many crappy little versions of cards to get. to many brownlow predictors of laughable players, numbered to way to high.

sooner select get some competition the better! it would revitalise the card collecting community and bring new people to it!
ive pretty much stopped collecting till this happens

They have impressed me This year,

The commons look really nice and they will look nice signed by the players
The excels I personally think they are better then last years parallels, they do look impressive and I've already got a few signed and they look nice to me.
The hot numbers are ok I'm not a huge fan on them. They don't really look good signed. I got Hannebery to sign his one but it just didn't come out so I'll probably just keep the rest unsigned
The starbursts are my favourite favourite insert this year. They look really good although I have noticed some of them are the same eg. Travis Boak is the same one as 2014. I probably get why they did that as they increased the series this year to 72. Although coming from a company you It's not good enough
The thunder and lightning are probably my second favourite design this year. They look really nice and it looks really cool how they join together! Nothing really bad to say about them to be honest
And last but not least the 1 per box card the Bronlow predictor. They are a positive although I get what some of you mean. Like if you pull a Nat Fyfe he could go for $100+ But if you pull a billy longer you will struggle to get $30. I do miss the firepower mirrors and the superheroes. Maybe next year they could make a 1 per box hit and make they Bronlow predictors rarer and make them just the top 20-50 contenders that have a chance!

I would probably have to give them a 7/10

Back
Top Bottom