2016 Elite Master set - update page 13

My opinion, not that it matters is this. If I got a set. And wanted to break it. I'd sell them to people I liked or had some sort of friendship with.

This means people would miss out. There can only be 16 people per set satisfied. Teams like panthers you'd have a much better chance getting one. Teams like Sharks, Dragons, Eels are high demand. And if down to me. I wouldn't have trouble picking who I sold them to. For a few reasons.

1. I've traded with alot of people.
2. I've been burnt by even more people.
3. I have a GREAT relationship with ALOT of HIGH END collectors.
4. I've helped more people than have EVER helped me.
5. My memory is very very very long.

Do I have a cowboys set? Yes I do. I attribute that to the person who sold me mine, has the same 5 reasons as me. If someone else had them, I may not have made the cowboys shortlist. I am therefore thankful for the relationship I have built with him.

Outting the person who sold them, or getting them banned from buying them in the future - just because you didn't get your team, says more about you as a person and a collector than it does about the person who sold them. In fact, you don't only burn their bridge - you burn many many others.
Says something about me as a person???Really??? I was not outing anyone. As for trying to get them banned, I wouldn't bother. There's more chance of that happening due to someone posting their collection on line. That's petty. And I'm pretty disappointed that you'd think I'd do that. I simply stated I felt let down. Considering the original list and who was on it. And I'm very surprised.
Considering I base my life both personally and at work on 5 values - honour, honesty, integrity, courage and loyalty, I'm actually very offended by your comment.
As for your five reasons, I am in the same boat and am the same as you. I am definately not in the hobby for any gain and I help out as many people as I can.
As for burning bridges, if my comment above burns any bridges than those bridges weren't worth the wood they were built with.

Whats done is done, its time to move on I think.

To me it doesn't matter it doesn't make my collection less complete as they were never supposed to be broken up. The person who bought set #2/5 has just burnt whatever hope that they would of had of ever getting a set like this again unless ESP/TLA change the proviso of buying a set and not splitting.
Paul, just a quick 1, Esp, whatever they want to call themselves these days, do not have any say in the matter unless they remain in their posession, once they have been paid for them, that is it, no say in the matter what so ever.
If they want to try and enforce something, let them try, if they want to try and blackmail dealers that have them for sale on their behalf, well that is just plain restriction of trade and sale.
Certain dealers have been told by esp in the past they are to sell their products at certain prices, like crap that has happened, look at daytraderamera, i do not see him going off there price guides.
esp have only themselves to blame for this situation, by flooding the market with as much product (greed) as they can, they have driven collectors to be team set collectors.
Now they can eat their cake and shut the F up.

Paul, just a quick 1, Esp, whatever they want to call themselves these days, do not have any say in the matter unless they remain in their posession, once they have been paid for them, that is it, no say in the matter what so ever.
If they want to try and enforce something, let them try, if they want to try and blackmail dealers that have them for sale on their behalf, well that is just plain restriction of trade and sale.
Certain dealers have been told by esp in the past they are to sell their products at certain prices, like crap that has happened, look at daytraderamera, i do not see him going off there price guides.
esp have only themselves to blame for this situation, by flooding the market with as much product (greed) as they can, they have driven collectors to be team set collectors.
Now they can eat their cake and shut the F up.
I was just going off the advice that was provided when the set was initially floated as a proposition

My collection doesn't feel less complete without these cards. I'm perfectly happy with my parra pc the way it is and master sets don't really interest me

I was just going off the advice that was provided when the set was initially floated as a proposition

My collection doesn't feel less complete without these cards. I'm perfectly happy with my parra pc the way it is and master sets don't really interest me
Paul, I am not having any say on your comments at all, I am putting it out there, so everyone knows what is what, we are all missing out on something along the lines, we can't have it all, I know a few people out there that have 36 cards and are making it hard to get, so I am resigned to not getting them, it is not going to stop me from helping others where I can.

Whats done is done, its time to move on I think.

To me it doesn't matter it doesn't make my collection less complete as they were never supposed to be broken up. The person who bought set #2/5 has just burnt whatever hope that they would of had of ever getting a set like this again unless ESP/TLA change the proviso of buying a set and not splitting.

The river of Garbage that flows from your mouth never ceases to amaze me....

As the initial purchaser and (former) owner of the 2/5 2016 Elite Master Set - Let me word a few of you clueless speculators in on a few things
(Not that any of them are any of your business)

1: It was me who bought the 2/5 Master set.
a) I paid good money for it.
b) I paid WELL in advance of receiving the set, And waited more than a fair time after release (And the ridiculous price drop) to get it.
c) It was mine to do as I pleased.

2: These sets were sold on the proviso that they were not to be broken up.
a) I gave my word to the dealer that I would not break up the set and I have held it.

I have since moved the set on and it left my possession fully loaded in sleeves, top loaders and boxed up - In Much better condition (I might add) than I received it.

The new owner doesn't wish to be known here, Looking at this - For good reason....

Again, Not that it's anyone's business but mine.... But here are a few of the reasons I am no longer the owner of this Master Set.

1: First and Foremost, I got my money back on it. (Just)
- I saw the way the prices tumbled on the Blue / Red Mojos' and sig cards, had a panic attack...
Realised If I could get out while I could that it would be wise to do so.

2: By true definition and my expectations, It wasn't a Master Set.
- I'm not sure to what degree any of you would expect a "Master Set" as "complete" (Nor do I care) but it didn't meet my expectations.

3: The nature in which I received the set was as underwhelming as it could be - the cards arrived in penny sleeves in 6 Plain Brown boxes - And that's it. - Not even a couple if scungy $20 folders...

4: Lastly, and most importantly ESP's complete greed oriented barstardisation of what was initially a fantastic Idea, And what would be required to continue my support of the product.
- I don't care to elaborate to any of you on this point any further.

As of right now, I am more than aware "some" of this set has found it's way to team collectors.
- I have been asked through potential buyers, friends and the owner to fascilitate some arrangements here and there - Which I have been more than happy to do (within reason), I have no real interest in what happens to it now. If I had further interest in the "Master Set" Concept - I would have kept it.

- I don't even have the 2/5 Tigers Master Set.... That's how much I need it in my collection right now...

And in regards to your stupid comment - If I wanted the next rounds of Master Sets, I'd well and truly have them already.
While jaded clowns like you - Sit around and pretend you know what you're talking about....

- I'd like to add that I thought the Foil Stamped commons and small chase cards were really, really cool....

To all those that Jagged their team set and love the cards - Happy for you guys... To all those that didn't, Better luck next time...

Duane, my comments weren't directed at you. They were directed at the continued comments on this post. Are you trying to get someone outted? Are you trying to get someone banned? If not, the comment wasn't for you. If so, then it was for you too.

When you messaged me yesterday. You made me feel bad. Because I got a set? Because I didn't tell you, I got a set? If you got a set, would you have told me? I doubt it and if you did - it would be only because you know I'm a cowboys collector. You are one of around 15 die hard dragons collectors I know and I could name the children of six of them.

I'm somewhat disheartened by the reactions of people here in regards to this whole situation.

Duane, my comments weren't directed at you. They were directed at the continued comments on this post. Are you trying to get someone outted? Are you trying to get someone banned? If not, the comment wasn't for you. If so, then it was for you too.

When you messaged me yesterday. You made me feel bad. Because I got a set? Because I didn't tell you, I got a set? If you got a set, would you have told me? I doubt it and if you did - it would be only because you know I'm a cowboys collector. You are one of around 15 die hard dragons collectors I know and I could name the children of six of them.

I'm somewhat disheartened by the reactions of people here in regards to this whole situation.
Mirren, I took your post as a hit to me. By asking you yesterday I was by no means trying to make you feel bad and I'm sorry if it did.
As for if I got one, I would have went back to the list and done what I could to get those people there sets. Seems the honourable thing to do in me eyes. I know not everyone operates the same way and that is life.
My comments also weren't directed at @batboy. Seems to be a different set (1 of three).
I understand that we all can't get what we want and that's fine. But when we all try and get something together and it falls through then another opportunity comes up...... I go back to my values. And if it meant that someone I was closer to missed out, then unfortunately that's life
A good thing for me though, is I've definately learned a valuable lesson throughout this.
I may live by a set of values but not everyone does, as unfortunate as that is. This whole episode has definately proved a lot though. You may be disheartened by comments but I can guarantee I'm more disheartened by some actions

Mirren, I took your post as a hit to me. By asking you yesterday I was by no means trying to make you feel bad and I'm sorry if it did.
As for if I got one, I would have went back to the list and done what I could to get those people there sets. Seems the honourable thing to do in me eyes. I know not everyone operates the same way and that is life.
My comments also weren't directed at @batboy. Seems to be a different set (1 of three).
I understand that we all can't get what we want and that's fine. But when we all try and get something together and it falls through then another opportunity comes up...... I go back to my values. And if it meant that someone I was closer to missed out, then unfortunately that's life
A good thing for me though, is I've definately learned a valuable lesson throughout this.
I may live by a set of values but not everyone does, as unfortunate as that is. This whole episode has definately proved a lot though. You may be disheartened by comments but I can guarantee I'm more disheartened by some actions

Are you referring to the list I got heavily criticised for because some people who expressed an interest originally didn't make it?

When that list was compiled there was no chance of me getting a set. It was over at that point. Another opportunity didn't come until months later, at which point I had to make some fast decisions. Those decisions were made in alignment with what Mirren mentioned before but with a focus on those who had helped me the most over the years. In some cases I found it extremely difficult to decide where a team set went, in other cases it was quite simple. I knew that some people would be upset with the decision but what can I do with only 1 set per team. I wasn't going to let an opportunity slip by for fear of upsetting someone.

What I find completely unfair is that you have contacted half of the people on this website pressing them for information on who split the set. That has put some in a very awkward position and I apologise to those people that were affected. You know very well who broke the set up but you haven't asked me anything and seem more intent on a public execution. That ends now. You want answers then PM me and ask and leave everyone else out of it.

Duane, you know that I go out of my way to help people in this hobby as well as anyone else. I find it interesting that all of a sudden I am being targeted as the bad guy just because you missed out on one thing you were chasing. If I had given you the set then I'd probably be having the same conversation with someone else. No matter what decision I made, someone was going to miss out. I was going to cop it no matter what but I accepted that when I did it.

I understand you are disappointed at missing out, but you won't be alone there. It doesn't mean that I won't continue to support you or anyone else who missed out. It doesn't mean I place less importance on helping you or anyone else. It just means that on this occasion I went a different direction for my own reasons.

If I end up with a set this year, I'm happy to let you make the decision (publicly) on where each team should be allocated. Will save me a lot of grief......

Are you referring to the list I got heavily criticised for because some people who expressed an interest originally didn't make it?

When that list was compiled there was no chance of me getting a set. It was over at that point. Another opportunity didn't come until months later, at which point I had to make some fast decisions. Those decisions were made in alignment with what Mirren mentioned before but with a focus on those who had helped me the most over the years. In some cases I found it extremely difficult to decide where a team set went, in other cases it was quite simple. I knew that some people would be upset with the decision but what can I do with only 1 set per team. I wasn't going to let an opportunity slip by for fear of upsetting someone.

What I find completely unfair is that you have contacted half of the people on this website pressing them for information on who split the set. That has put some in a very awkward position and I apologise to those people that were affected. You know very well who broke the set up but you haven't asked me anything and seem more intent on a public execution. That ends now. You want answers then PM me and ask and leave everyone else out of it.

Duane, you know that I go out of my way to help people in this hobby as well as anyone else. I find it interesting that all of a sudden I am being targeted as the bad guy just because you missed out on one thing you were chasing. If I had given you the set then I'd probably be having the same conversation with someone else. No matter what decision I made, someone was going to miss out. I was going to cop it no matter what but I accepted that when I did it.

I understand you are disappointed at missing out, but you won't be alone there. It doesn't mean that I won't continue to support you or anyone else who missed out. It doesn't mean I place less importance on helping you or anyone else. It just means that on this occasion I went a different direction for my own reasons.

If I end up with a set this year, I'm happy to let you make the decision (publicly) on where each team should be allocated. Will save me a lot of grief......
Mark, yes I was referring to the list that you were critisced for. And from memory I also had a barrage of messages over.
Your decision on who team sets went to was totally up to you. As I have stated, not the way I or some others would have done it but ultimately your decision. And you're right, either way people would have been disappointed, hence why I would have went the other way ( that being said, totally your call).
I know how much you do for people in the hobby, and I have never stated otherwise.
Interestingly enough, I never started put to find out who split the set to be 'more intent on public execution'. More to find out if there was a team set still available. As for 'pressing people' for information..... a simple question was asked, that's it!!! If people take a simple question as 'pressing', they've obviously got something on their mind or another agenda. (My opinion only). Maybe people need to look at some of there own dealings and way they 'press' before casting judgement.
I actually only found out this afternoon that you broke a set (believe it or not, I'm not too fussed) at 1500. I had no idea about you or batboy. Secret kept well which is great. And to be totally honest, I messaged you yesterday to ask about sets pretty much the same way I asked others. Your reply in no way made me think that you ever had a set, hence why I was so surprised to find out this afternoon ( hence my first post this afternoon). Whilst I know how much you do for the hobby and I as many others do, appreciate it (I have been on the receiving end of your help before), I found this as dishonest. Pretty good opportunity to be up front.
As for, 'this ends now', I never harassed anyone and can't see why it is so hard to get a straight answer.
The whole thing comes down to, I'm not so much dissappointed in missing out, but as I've said before, thought it may have been done from the list ( and again, totally your choice).
I'm not going to apologise to people for asking, as I've said, I was only trying to find out if there was a team left.
For team sets in the future, mate do as you feel fit. I don't need a say in it, I've tried to help out before so I'm not really interested. I'll stick to making decisions elsewhere.
I hope this doesn't sour relationships too much around the hobby. If it has, I was only trying to get an answer and anyone is entitled to that.

Well said,
I feel like Having one of these sets shouldn't make you feel like your a traitor or bad for not telling people. I am loyal to A LOT of collectors when I can be but we cannot always please everyone.

As a Titans collector I have competition like everyone else to get the cards I want. Some say I am one of the more serious titans collectors and some will say they would disagree (who cares) we all have people that we look after and at some point they may not it's a competitive market at times.

I don't think ESP should do this master set thing (at least not just 5 of them) again as it's too hard to chose 5 people to have them and even harder when they are broken up. It will do more harm to the hobby than good.

It's a tough game this collecting thing.

Mark, yes I was referring to the list that you were critisced for. And from memory I also had a barrage of messages over.
Your decision on who team sets went to was totally up to you. As I have stated, not the way I or some others would have done it but ultimately your decision. And you're right, either way people would have been disappointed, hence why I would have went the other way ( that being said, totally your call).
I know how much you do for people in the hobby, and I have never stated otherwise.
Interestingly enough, I never started put to find out who split the set to be 'more intent on public execution'. More to find out if there was a team set still available. As for 'pressing people' for information..... a simple question was asked, that's it!!! If people take a simple question as 'pressing', they've obviously got something on their mind or another agenda. (My opinion only). Maybe people need to look at some of there own dealings and way they 'press' before casting judgement.
I actually only found out this afternoon that you broke a set (believe it or not, I'm not too fussed) at 1500. I had no idea about you or batboy. Secret kept well which is great. And to be totally honest, I messaged you yesterday to ask about sets pretty much the same way I asked others. Your reply in no way made me think that you ever had a set, hence why I was so surprised to find out this afternoon ( hence my first post this afternoon). Whilst I know how much you do for the hobby and I as many others do, appreciate it (I have been on the receiving end of your help before), I found this as dishonest. Pretty good opportunity to be up front.
As for, 'this ends now', I never harassed anyone and can't see why it is so hard to get a straight answer.
The whole thing comes down to, I'm not so much dissappointed in missing out, but as I've said before, thought it may have been done from the list ( and again, totally your choice).
I'm not going to apologise to people for asking, as I've said, I was only trying to find out if there was a team left.
For team sets in the future, mate do as you feel fit. I don't need a say in it, I've tried to help out before so I'm not really interested. I'll stick to making decisions elsewhere.
I hope this doesn't sour relationships too much around the hobby. If it has, I was only trying to get an answer and anyone is entitled to that.

If it was only about trying to see if a set was available why didn't you ask that question instead of asking how many got them?

To those that bought them, I'm sure they shelled out big $ from the numbers talked about earlier so really they are intitled to do what they like with them. With those who were lucky enough to add them to their collection well done!

Dragons Master Set for sale

It seems Duane that you are upset that a master set (or two) were broken up and the team sets sold to team collectors but you were not offered one, in particular the Dragons one.
I read it that you think it would have been fairer if the sellers used the list compiled last year.
First of all why is the list fair? It is compiled by "first in" basis. If for any reason someone doesnt have access to OCT because they actually are working or in a meeting or their internet is down etc they miss out on being on the list. They may have been on OCT for hours and just logged out when the list starts. Why is it fair that those people dont have a chance?
It appears you think you are entitled to all future selling of a St George master set all because you were lucky enough to be online when the list started.
The only people that likely remember the list from last year are the people that are on it.

I am always happy to 'show and tell' my collection. It is part of the reason of collecting. I am one of the few master set collectors still around.
I enjoy the chase of collecting. This is why I stopped collecting Select and ESP in 2008. I do get some cards here and there from these sets but not a lot. These sets are easily collected and I could start now and easily obtain all the cards. It really is just a matter of money.
I now concentrate on the club sets and sponsor sets. They are more enjoyable as you have the chase. I am a St George one-eyed supporter but went to every Canterbury game last year chasing the cards. Had a great time with a few mates. Doing it again this year and also going to go to all the Penrith home games after the player posters they are doing. It is much more fun than collecting ESP who have changed the collecting game although I have no doubt the NRL are forcing ESP to do what they do with the licensing costs.
I purchased all the TCM cards that came in the tins but them missed out on my Dragons team set when they eight "unreleased" teams become limited avialable. I did manage to get four of the "unreleased" sets but still want to buy the other 4 teams. When I missed out on them I didnt start sending out emails asking who got them and why didnt I. To this day if I was offered them I would buy them so I just wait patiently. What else can I do. Instead of complaining perhaps just a post asking if anyone would like to sell you one would have done and all this commotion would not have happened.

In saying all of that I am the owner of a 2016 ESP Elite St George Illawarra master set.

As a master set collector I would like to have one card of every card ever produced but that is not going to happen. We cant have everything but I know that I would have items that other people do not and other people will have items that I do not. The chase will never end.

Part of collecting is having the regret of that card you missed out on. Didnt bid enough on eBay and then never seeing the card again. Regret. happens to me.
One of the worst things is when you know about a card but never get the chance to bid on it. Perhaps this is what you are feeling?

Normally when a card comes into my collection it does not leave but,
I am happy to place my Dragons master set for sale. Everyone should have the opportunity to own every card they want.
If you are really keen send me your best price and if it is enough you may become the owner. Anyone is welcome.

What I will not do is tell anyone else the buyer or tell anyone who I bought it from. It is no ones business.

Shame you don't have the bulldogs one so I'd be allowed to make you an offer Roger. Let me know if you have it in addition to the dragons

Firstly, thank you to everyone for their opinions, we're all at liberty to voice them and I'm big enough to accept them. Much appreciated.
Whilst I believe a couple of you have gone off the deep end and carried on a bit, it is what it is. Everyone seems to think they're the bigger collector or whatever, fair enough. As I said, we're all entitled to our opinions.
What I find funny is there seems to be a few that think they are bigger than the hobby and to those few.....well...... I won't lower myself to tell you what I think. Those people seem to be the few that continually won't listen to anyone else but are more than happy to openly and loudly voice their opinions. (Very glad I am not in that 'chosen circle'.
Not everyone will agree with me and that's fine. I'll continue to do what I do within the hobby and try to do my best by everyone I deal with.
For those of you that hold a gripe, I really couldn't give two shits to be totally honest. I'll live and continue doing what I do.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom