2016 Collecting Goals

75 was the first year I collected, never completed the 75 or 76 sets but had 1 2 or 3 full sets for each year from 77-82.
Similar story with mine, left at parents place but luckily at least half of them survived a few moves and mum asked before she tossed the rest.
Talking to a mate that had full sets from 68-70 and a same thing happened with his. Same thing is probably still happening with the later sets today.

My collecting goals are to be inspired enough by ESP to get back into collecting. Otherwise it is fill holes in older master sets, Dogs PC and pre 1974 sets.
I also have to schedule in major orthopaedic surgery which will add to my collection of 5 previous surgeries.
Lastly, if I play my cards right (excuse the pun), I'd like to collect an investment property.

I stole this from the basketball forum but have just started a months leave and have a bit of time to kill while the wife and kids are working / daycare.

My 2016 goals are as follows;

2004 Woolford Captains Signature
One of the 2008 Immortal signatures
One of the 2009/10 Select Cricket Master Signatures

These are fairly lofty goals $$ wise, hopefully I can save and get there

Love to hear others 2016 NRL collecting goals

So we are nearing the end of the year, how did everyone go?

I managed all Raiders cards from all releases (went seriously over budget), 2 x Immortal Signatures instead of one and should have the 04 Captains card by years end.

Very happy with that!

1) Collect all the Knights cards from this years releases
2) Fill the gaps in previous years releases (Mostly Albums and Base Sets)
3) Get all the Knights cards i have at the ready signed

not a collecting goal per se, but be more involved the trading card community rather than lurking

1) Only missing 1 card - Uate SASS
2) I added several higher end cards to my collection (mostly signatures)
3) I got 90% of the cards i had signed

overall i'd say i did better than i expected

So we are nearing the end of the year, how did everyone go?

I managed all Raiders cards from all releases (went seriously over budget), 2 x Immortal Signatures instead of one and should have the 04 Captains card by years end.

Very happy with that!

Awesome, congrats! You have a very productive (and expensive ;)) year!

From my perspective, these were my goals:
  • Clearly define (for myself) what I actually enjoy collecting
Done - there isn't much from the sporting side of it unfortunately.
  • Clear out the bundles and bundles of cards I still have laying around from my old days of trying to collect master set
Started, but no where near done, still have almost 1000 listings on ebay and thats still not all of the cards listed that I need to move on. this is going to be a long process...
  • Pray and hope that the 2016 traders and/or elite series produce something that I want to collect
Its a shame really, because I loved the gold parallels and the captain cards from this years elite, but the dodgy practices of ESP completely put me off, so I haven't actively collected any of this years releases. Personally wasn't a fan of the multiple foil sig parallels from traders, the actual sigs were nice and I liked the look of, but would have only been interested in collecting the Slater one, so again haven't bothered chasing it, it was also a little pricey to start off with, so I figured I would pick it up when the price bottoms out.
  • Focus on picking up some of the pre-ESP Melbourne Storm cards and that I want after deciding on the first point
The ESP thing really put me off NRL, so haven't added anything specific to my want list on this.
  • Bust more boxes either sport or non-sport depending on what takes my fancy at the time
Done in a big way - I have spent a fortune on non-sport this year, which is where I see most of my collecting going. I can't see ESP bringing me back into NRL, maybe if someone else gets the license I may reconsider and I am sure I will pick up a few cards here or there, maybe a few group breaks etc.. but I think my days of buying multiple boxes/cases of NRL are just about done.

Overall I am really happy with where I ended up for collecting this year, I have a clear view of what I enjoy collecting and am working on expanding that as much as I can over the coming years.

My collecting goals are:

To get all the Parramatta cards from 2016 releases
To finalise the past heroes signed set (only need Paul Harragon)
To continue collecting Steve Smith cards as cricketing releases come out
To buy a few nice Chris Paul (NBA) cards as funds allow
Re-assessed my goals early in the year and really wanted to focus on my Eels PC and got the following through the year:

Hayne medallist sig
Hindy Medallist sig
t.Smith medallist sig
Hindy LLB
Sapphire set 2016
Radradra Ultimate sig
Matt Ryan young gun
Ardmona set 1981
Ruby set 2016
Kaysa #1 YG
2003 Scanlens eels team set
All eels cards from 2016

Also finalised the Past heroes and top 100 signed cards from centenary.

Sold off all the Chris Paul and Steve Smith cards to focus on my eels PC.

Wouldn't mind adding a Nathan Cayless captain signature to finish off the year strongly

LOL. My Goals:
1. To finish off all the tazo sets which I have. Most of them are missing a few with 2008 being complete. Replace all damaged tazos with mint ones and get albums for all.
2. Get rid of all my spare 2015 Traders low end cards.
3. Collect 2016 Traders if they are better than previous years

OR

4. Get some high end cards preferably bulldogs

Can safely say did little of those goals.

While I picked up a few cards in other sets including finishing off all the 1995 Dynamic sets. I didn't complete my goals but as I said was more due to the inability of finding them.
Finish off some of the Broncos cards released by sponsors. It's been my goal for a number of years now just availability is the problem as opposed to $$.
1990 Streets Broncos
Greg Dowling

1991 Street Broncos
Wild Card

1995 Birch Carrol & Coyle Suburban 8 Broncos Representatives
2, 6,

Ansett Broncos Series 2
Tonie Carroll, Darren Lockyer, Steve Renouf

Ansett Broncos v Cowboys (full set)

Ansett Broncos v Cowboys (full set)
While I picked up a few cards in other sets including finishing off the 1995 Dynamic sets. I didn't complete my goals but as I said was more due to the inability in finding them.
Of the Streets cards only saw Dowling once on ebay after it was sold (must of sold almost upon being listed). Saw the Wild Card and the cost was just to high made a best offer but got rejected it did eventually sell.
Representative saw complete sets (some being sold with the Bronco set). As it is a 6 disc set would be tempted on a full set if I needed 4 or more but not when I need 2.
1997 Carroll I don't think I saw, Lockyer I got (yeah me) but got sniped on Renouf.
1998 Broncos v Cowboys set saw individual cards of an incomplete set being sold and thought I would be best holding off for a complete set or I'll have the same problems as the 1997 Broncos set.
1999 Broncos v Cowboys never saw starting to think it doesn't exist.

I must say 2016 has certainly been my best year of collecting to date! Highlights for me have been collecting the entire YGs and LSs from 2014 Elite not to mention only six of the WCHPs to go making it the closest I've ever been in my life towards completing a master set bones and all!

Other highlights have been 2016 Elite - ESP certainly pulled up their socks from what a disappointing release 15 Elite was as it arrguably turned out to be. So apart from my six WCHPs to chase I will be generally be considering 2017 releases already lol.

To collect all the St George cards from 2016 releases. (NRL licensed releases)

Traders = Nope still need the Dugan SAS
Elite = Nope still need Ruby and Saphire but in reality made a decision not to actively hunt these.

To get all the 2016 St George base cards signed.

Traders and Power Play completed except for Dugan and Matthews who missed the fan days because of injury

Elite = None as they come out after the fan days where I hunt the IPs so these will be for next year

Plug a few gaps in my STG signed IP collection; one that is annoying me is how many Matt Cooper cards I need, he must of skipped a few of the members days with injury.

Added a fair few IPs to the collection but Matt Cooper has alluded me yet again. May have to do a through the mail for him. Any ideas where I should send?

To finish my side Scanlens project of many a year I would like to find these cards in good condition at a reasonable price:

1977 #87 Branighan
1982 #6 Ella

Got both of these a couple of days after my post in this thread as it worked like a WANTED post.

Cheers
Ross

Re-assessed my goals early in the year and really wanted to focus on my Eels PC and got the following through the year:

Hayne medallist sig
Hindy Medallist sig
t.Smith medallist sig
Hindy LLB
Sapphire set 2016
Radradra Ultimate sig
Matt Ryan young gun
Ardmona set 1981
Ruby set 2016
Kaysa #1 YG
2003 Scanlens eels team set
All eels cards from 2016

Also finalised the Past heroes and top 100 signed cards from centenary.

Sold off all the Chris Paul and Steve Smith cards to focus on my eels PC.

Wouldn't mind adding a Nathan Cayless captain signature to finish off the year strongly
And to finish the year off I got this
image.jpeg

I think I'm almost done for 2016, maybe a couple of more low-ish end cards and that'll do me

Last edited:
I also had a pretty good year but those dame Milford and Kahu signature cards are hard to find with low numbers? Other than that is was a great year for the Broncos collection, K

My 2016 Goals

Finish off ESP Legends Signatures :thumbsup:
2016 ESP Traders #1 Dynamic Duo Dragons :thumbsup:
2016 ESP Traders #1 Josh Dugan SASS :(
2016 ESP Elite #1 Sapphire (outbid eBay) Looking for Owner.
2016 ESP Elite #1 Ruby :thumbsup:
2016 ESP Elite League Sensation #1 :thumbsup:
2016 ESP Elite Young Gun #1 :thumbsup:
2016 ESP Elite RGP Dugan Marshall #1 :thumbsup:
2016 ESP Elite RGP Ben Greagh Jack De Belin :thumbsup:

My 2016 Goals

Massive year mate

Always good knocking stuff off that you really want

Need 2017 releases to hurry up :)

My 2016 Goals

Impressive haul of cards. Is the RGP Ben Greagh Jack De Belin a #1 also?

1) Would love to pickup a VG/NM 1982 Scanlens set, or 1979 or 1978 for that matter.

2) Keep up the Warriors collection and keep adding to #001s if possible.

No older Scanlen sets acquired unfortunately, very reluctant to buy these off eBay as to me condition is everything and often hard to gauge through a few grainy photos. Had two leads elsewhere but one wanted too much and the other can't find his spare sets.

Bit more luck on Warrior #001s, picked up three (all 2016 Elite) both Mojo sets and Lolohea YG. Such a desirable number its getting harder to chase them, only heard of one other busted being RTS LS but not holding my breath on that one.

Great to see other achieve some season goals in knocking off some cracking cards. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom