No sound on the vid

View: https://youtu.be/TNnNbNC6BkI

20170207_212624.jpg

20170207_213349.jpg

20170207_212445.jpg

20170207_212416.jpg

20170207_212314.jpg

Last edited:
Call me out of touch but if I'm buying a hobby box I'd expect the odds to be in my favour of hitting an auto or at least something with some jersey in it! Good to see you busting some wax though - nice hit on Turner!

Call me out of touch but if I'm buying a hobby box I'd expect the odds to be in my favour of hitting an auto or at least something with some jersey in it! Good to see you busting some wax though - nice hit on Turner!

I hear you mate but I like the inserts/numbered stuff for a change, have had enough of the bloody game used where you don't even know if it's real, and have had me fill of Maurice Ager autos per box so I wouldn't mind if the product was like the early days of autos and game used when they were a tough pull!

I hear you mate but I like the inserts/numbered stuff for a change, have had enough of the bloody game used where you don't even know if it's real, and have had me fill of Maurice Ager autos per box so I wouldn't mind if the product was like the early days of autos and game used when they were a tough pull!
Sorry Skip, completely agree with Matt. There's just way too many autos/mem these days and not enough well designed insert cards. Auto's should be special, but they're not anymore. It's not Panini's fault because it started before their time but they've definitely taken the trend to another level. @skip20 I obviously love your mailday posts the best because it shows your appreciation for the cards regardless of 'value', and there should be more collector's like you. I looked at a 16-17 Performance Art Jersey card yesterday and I love the idea of these cards having the actual jersey from the game dated on the front. What destroys it is on the back of the card there is absolutely nothing except the 'this jersey is guaranteed...' BS. Surely some stats on that player in that game, how they played, did they win or lose, should be a given for the back of the card.The care has gone out of it which you can partly blame Panini but you can also partly blame the NBA for putting a stupid quota of products on one company to produce every year. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sorry Skip, completely agree with Matt. There's just way too many autos/mem these days and not enough well designed insert cards. Auto's should be special, but they're not anymore. It's not Panini's fault because it started before their time but they've definitely taken the trend to another level. @skip20 I obviously love your mailday posts the best because it shows your appreciation for the cards regardless of 'value', and there should be more collector's like you. I looked at a 16-17 Performance Art Jersey card yesterday and I love the idea of these cards having the actual jersey from the game dated on the front. What destroys it is on the back of the card there is absolutely nothing except the 'this jersey is guaranteed...' BS. Surely some stats on that player in that game, how they played, did they win or lose, should be a given for the back of the card.The care has gone out of it which you can partly blame Panini but you can also partly blame the NBA for putting a stupid quota of products on one company to produce every year. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yeah combination of a lot of things I think - people got a taste of the GU and AU and said more more and the card co's took full advantage of the demand and whored out the whole market and we ended up with a $6000 a case 8 card product or whatever insane product that was. Now they just have to refine it - not as many products so collectors aren't getting burnt out and more specific info on guarantees of game material, I know they've made a start but they're still using it as a super rare item, it should be on every card imo.

I love revolution for the pure fact that there are no GU and that if you hit an auto, it will have some value. Galactics help as well :)

Yeah combination of a lot of things I think - people got a taste of the GU and AU and said more more and the card co's took full advantage of the demand and whored out the whole market and we ended up with a $6000 a case 8 card product or whatever insane product that was. Now they just have to refine it - not as many products so collectors aren't getting burnt out and more specific info on guarantees of game material, I know they've made a start but they're still using it as a super rare item, it should be on every card imo.

I can understand why autos don't neccessarily mean much these days and a jersey card from a rookie photo shoot doesn't mean much either. Guys spending hundreds of dollars for a hobby box of product for a guaranteed second rounder rookie (sticker) auto, a rookie photo shoot jersey card of mid first rounder, a few base, a parallel of a semi-star /25 and in all likelihood a manufactured or non-gameused patch. The value isn't there any more but it never really was. However, Panini has never really delivered on big name inserts like UD back in the 90s. Are there any iconic Panini inserts? I think the best you can come up with is perhaps some newish concept UD never did like the 24k / 14k gold cards, booklets, stained glass cards and HRX video cards but even these sort of concepts have either proven short lived or since been milked to the point of diluted value. However, even popular inserts atm like Kaboom I don't see their prices staying very high at all for very long. The 90s inserts remain popular because of their scarcity so any new product released which is based on churning out case loads of the product is never gonna quite be the same. Even 1/1s are losing value based on sheer quantity available. It was a big deal to have an old school printing plate and now I might as well throw hem in the trash. I'd rather the chance at a decent auto, even if the odds are lower, and I agree all GU should be 'game used'. Perhaps more significantly I see the value in however many millions of parallel variations losing value even quicker - I can't even keep up with how many colours, die cuts, camos, tie dyes, prizms and mirror finishes there are these days. I wouldn't even begin to fathom how I'd try to even put a rainbow together. I mean, how many variations of coloured crusades can you possibly release year after year? Perhaps most pertinently you can see the hobby price for product low on guaranteed auto hits really struggles - Clear Vision and Revolution amongst them. I love the look of Clear Vision but without the hits those are some expensive base cards (admittedly they do have some decent autos though, but not worth enough to warrant the price for an average box of mediocrity). That's me on my soapbox giving opinions on things I don't really do (box breaking is a rare luxury for me). That might be a tad hypocritical but if you think about it, the reasons above are why me and many more aren't busting boxes open anymore.

Back
Top Bottom