UFC 2015 Topps UFC Knockout

devo

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Andrew
So who is going to get on these?

I have, in the past, been good for a couple of cases of knockouts.

BUT @ $180 US opening price per box plus shipping to AUS and lets not forget the lovely exchange rate atm :cry:, I'm thinking twice about it.

AND sticker autos, redemptions that will never be fulfilled not to mention the low sale price of singles on ebay.

Am I talking myself out of it? Do I wait for the price to drop?

I may even just pick up singles of the bay.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Knockout has always been my favourite, I think ill save my money till they come out and get a case, hopefully the dollars back up by then.

They look very nice BUT
I am getting sick of paying huge dollars for ufc boxes and getting $40 value from each box ....so buy a case maybe?
A case hit will pay for one of the 8 boxes in the case if your lucky.
Really getting tired of prices people are paying for cards. So it seems box breaking results in 10 minutes of joy busting the packs followed by a stack of cards that you might get 20 bucks for.
I used to collect basketball years ago and I never imagined that one day there would be cards #d under 10 that you could pick up for less than a carton of beer ... Or even a six pack :( Then came along Topps Ufc...
Sorry for the rant,just needed to vent :D

They look very nice BUT
I am getting sick of paying huge dollars for ufc boxes and getting $40 value from each box ....so buy a case maybe?
A case hit will pay for one of the 8 boxes in the case if your lucky.
Really getting tired of prices people are paying for cards. So it seems box breaking results in 10 minutes of joy busting the packs followed by a stack of cards that you might get 20 bucks for.
I used to collect basketball years ago and I never imagined that one day there would be cards #d under 10 that you could pick up for less than a carton of beer ... Or even a six pack :( Then came along Topps Ufc...
Sorry for the rant,just needed to vent :D

I'm hearing you man. It's almost not worth the thrill of the break!

But it's subjective.

And I'm addicted.

This will be a long one.

The problem is this isn't a team sport. With any of the big 4 you have greater chances of hitting either a big name or something for your team or player PC. With team PCs there's a better chance at selling cards, and with the larger following, selling them for higher prices.

But the UFC is a niche individual sport. The market isn't that big, and people just aren't out there PC'ing Ryan Jimmo, Bryan Caraway or CB Dollaway. Look at the UFC rankings and in some divisions you'll see fighters outside of top 5s that you'll struggle to shift.

And therein lies the problem. Its these guys that pad out the hits. I mean look at the list of guys they used for the Grill Gear redemptions from Finest 2012.

Brian Ebersole
Chael Sonnen
Duane Ludwig
Dustin Poirier
Gray Maynard
Ian McCall
KJ Noons
Louis Gaudinot
Luke Rockhold
Ross Pearson
Shane Del Rosario
Stipe Miocic

(of which I pulled a McCall... still yet to be fulfilled! :mad:)

The UFC's roster has grown, but number of "stars" that has emerged from this crop hasn't grown by the same rate. They got a spike when guys came over from Pride and Strikeforce, but those guys are on the backside of their careers. And now that there's less competition there's less promotions building up new marketable fighters. OneFC hasn't reached the heights of Pride and Bellator isn't offering as much of a threat as Strikeforce did.

The other problem is the product that Topps are putting out. Its just not worth the $200 a box they're asking. Fighter relics aren't attributed to any specific fight or events, god knows where they came from; Mat relics at least are cited, but then they are less personal given a bunch of other people fought on that same mat. And the over abundance of sticker autos. I'm well and truly over Triple Threads cards being blighted by sticker autos. It's even worse when you have cases like this:

FIfNr2I.jpg

a sticker auto used well after Tate switched from "Takedown" to "Cupcake".

And the only on-card autos you see are in Knockout, half of which are redemptions that are never fulfilled. It's maddening!

There's definitely a big divide between expectations and reality from collectors and sellers. Jon Jones first auto would've yielded big dollars, but 6 autos later and you could pick one up for lunch money. This then dilutes his value across all his autos. That's why I laugh when I see people asking $700-1200 for a Rousey, Jones, Silva or GSP auto. There is simply no one paying that sort of money.

I also feel like the bubble has burst a little and there are less UFC collectors than there were 2 years ago.

I skipped Knockout and Champions last year, but tried two boxes of Bloodlines. Neither yielded great results and I'm likely to bail on UFC boxes for good, and just pick up singles, unless something drastically changes.

It's just too bad Press Pass went bust. Their NASCAR boxes were filling the void nicely. Maybe that's how companies survive these days, by rehashing the same half-arsed shit year after year and ignoring the plees from collectors about redemptions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom