2015 Matador BBQ One Day Cup

Wookiedragon

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Daniel
eBay User
Wookie-dragon
Great news for those of us in Sydney - not so go for the rest of the country.

For the third successive year the One day domestic competition will be run in Sydney. The whole tournament will run during the month of October at suburban grounds in Sydney; with Drummoyne, Hurstville, Bankstown, Blacktown & North Sydney hosting games.

This year Cricket Australia have added a team - Cricket Australia XI which will include fringe state players & some Australian players returning from injuries!

There will be several Day / night fixtures this year & 15 games are being broadcast on Channel nine / GEM.

The final will again be played at North Sydney.

Full draw listed below for each venue.

Draw for the 2015/16 Matador One Day Cup
North Sydney Oval
Queensland vs Tasmania, 5 October 2015
NSW vs South Australia, 8 October 2015*
South Australia vs Queensland, 11 October 2015*
Western Australia vs Cricket Australia XI, 15 October 2015*
NSW vs Victoria, 18 October 2015*
Tasmania vs Victoria, 20 October 2015*
Final, 25 October 2015*
Drummoyne Oval
Queensland vs NSW, 16 October 2015 (d/n)*
Tasmania vs Western Australia, 17 October 2015 (d/n)*
Queensland vs Cricket Australia XI, 19 October 2015*
Cricket Australia XI vs South Australia, 22 October 2015*
Elimination Final, 23 October 2015 (d/n)*
Blacktown International Sportspark
Victoria vs Queensland, 9 October 2015 (d/n)*
Western Australia vs NSW, 10 October 2015 (d/n)*
Victoria vs Western Australia, 12 October 2015*
South Australia vs Tasmania, 14 October 2015*
Bankstown Oval
NSW vs Cricket Australia XI, 5 October 2015
Cricket Australia XI vs Tasmania, 10 October 2015
Victoria vs South Australia, 16 October 2015
Western Australia vs Queensland, 21 October 2015
Hurstville Oval
South Australia vs Western Australia, 5 October 2015
Cricket Australia XI vs Victoria, 7 October 2015
Tasmania vs NSW, 12 October 2015
*Televised fixture

Have to say I watched a few games at Blacktown last year and it was awesome.....lots of great players and plenty of access for autos!

I have already pencilled in the day night games and also a few over the weekends.

Will be a busy October and November. After this tournament, NSW are hosting three consecutive shield games in Sydney before the end of November.

Hopefully Tap N Play have an earlier release this year so I can make use of all those early games. Last year they were released so late there was only a couple of tests and then the World Cup left to get IPs.

I have already pencilled in the day night games and also a few over the weekends.

Will be a busy October and November. After this tournament, NSW are hosting three consecutive shield games in Sydney before the end of November.

Hopefully Tap N Play have an earlier release this year so I can make use of all those early games. Last year they were released so late there was only a couple of tests and then the World Cup left to get IPs.

I spoke with Tap N Play and the scheduled release date for this years Cricket is Nov 1 in retail outlets. You may see some stock appearing with major dealers in the week or so prior.

Great news Matt.

They produced an excellent product last year & us cricket collectors very much appreciated a release to collect.

Hopefully this years set is even better. The Brett Lee card they recently released looks great! Would love to see something like that in the packets this year.

Great news Matt.

They produced an excellent product last year & us cricket collectors very much appreciated a release to collect.

Hopefully this years set is even better. The Brett Lee card they recently released looks great! Would love to see something like that in the packets this year.

I have been lucky to see some of the cricket designs and wow.....if you liked last years, this years will again be a step up.

Don't be surprised to see some game used content and some signatures make there way in there as well! ;)

I heard that ODI cup was supposed to be alternating Sydney and Melbourne each year.

But Melbourne's 'other' lit grounds are no longer suitable for cricket and Sydney could provide SCG, ANZ, Spotless but also NSO, Bankstown, Blacktown, Hurstville and Drummoyne without any problems.

So for costs, its in Sydney for the time being.

I, for one, love it. I took the boys to Bankstown and Blacktown last year and it was great. And this year their boredom thresholds should be higher too.

I have been lucky to see some of the cricket designs and wow.....if you liked last years, this years will again be a step up.

Don't be surprised to see some game used content and some signatures make there way in there as well! ;)

One Ashes test down and I didn't bust a single box (of the 8-10 I still have to bust).

Come Thursday...I'm ripping in...FINALLY!!!

I want it all sorted before Nov 2015 for the next TNP set.

With the Bangledesh tour on hold, all Test players have been sent back to their state squads to train for the matador BBQ cup.

If the tour is formally cancelled later in the week, the test players will be added to the state squads. This will force a reshuffle of players - with some state players making way for the test players, which in turn may drop some named in state squads back to the Cricket Australia XI. Thus meaning some selected for that side will miss out all together!

A big mess to sort out, however Bangledesh's loss is our gain! When is the last time we had our full test squad available for state duty for a full tournament! Bring on Monday 5th!

Already had a taste of it when I saw the end of the trial game yesterday where NSW beat Victoria. Cam White scored an unbeated 102, Moises Henriques scored a few runs too.

Bring it on - let the summer begin!

With the Bangledesh tour on hold, all Test players have been sent back to their state squads to train for the matador BBQ cup.

If the tour is formally cancelled later in the week, the test players will be added to the state squads. This will force a reshuffle of players - with some state players making way for the test players, which in turn may drop some named in state squads back to the Cricket Australia XI. Thus meaning some selected for that side will miss out all together!

A big mess to sort out, however Bangledesh's loss is our gain! When is the last time we had our full test squad available for state duty for a full tournament! Bring on Monday 5th!

Already had a taste of it when I saw the end of the trial game yesterday where NSW beat Victoria. Cam White scored an unbeated 102, Moises Henriques scored a few runs too.

Bring it on - let the summer begin!

I reckon they will postpone the Bangladesh series and play it later at a neutral venue.

Take it as a gospel that none of the players actually want to go on this tour at all.

Great news for the Matador cup though!

I reckon they will postpone the Bangladesh series and play it later at a neutral venue.

Take it as a gospel that none of the players actually want to go on this tour at all.

Great news for the Matador cup though!

just such a shame that very few are able to see this competition

just such a shame that very few are able to see this competition
I hear what you are saying Matt.

Sydney have had three years in a row now. Great for me, with games at suburban grounds they are easy to get to for me, hense me ducking in to watch the last 16 overs yesterday. If that game was at the SCG, I would have been no chance.

Cricket Australia have done the opposite for the WNCL this year, with NSW Breakers after winning their tenth straight title last year, only having one game in NSW for the whole tournament. Similarly, with the lauch of the WBBL, the Thunder have less games in NSW than some of the interstate franchises - go figure!

On the bright side, most of the Matador BBQ cup will be broadcast on GEM, so you will get to see it Matt, just not live.....

Updated team lists annouced for tournament.

All test stars are in, forcing a shuffle in the squads announced earlier in the week.

Matador BBQ Cup Squads
NSW

Steve Smith
Sean Abbott
Doug Bollinger
Ryan Carters
Ed Cowan
Moises Henriques
Nathan Lyon
Nic Maddinson
Peter Nevill
Stephen O’Keefe
Kurtis Patterson
Gurinder Sandhu
Mitchell Starc
Shane Watson
QLD
Cam Boyce
Joe Burns
Ben Cutting
Luke Feldman
Peter Forrest
Chris Hartley
Charlie Hemphrey
James Hopes
Usman Khawaja ©
Simon Milenko
Michael Neser
Nathan Reardon
Billy Stanlake
Mark Steketee
Coach – Phil Jaques
Western Australia
Adam Voges ©
Shaun Marsh (vc)
Ashton Agar
Cameron Bancroft
Jason Behrendorff
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Michael Klinger
Simon Mackin
Mitchell Marsh
Joel Paris
Jhye Richardson
Ashton Turner
Andrew Tye
Sam Whiteman
Coach - Justin Langer
South Australia
Travis Head ©
Tom Andrews
Tom Cooper
Callum Ferguson
Jake Lehmann
Tim Ludeman
Joe Mennie
Gary Putland
Kane Richardson
Sam Raphael
Alex Ross
Daniel Worrell
Nick Winter
Adam Zampa
Coach – Jamie Siddons
Tasmania
George Bailey ©
Alex Doolan (vc)
Jackson Bird
Xavier Doherty
Jake Doran
Ben Dunk
James Faulkner
Andrew Fekete
Evan Gulbis
Hamish Kingston
Dominic Michael
Tim Paine
Sam Rainbird
Clive Rose
Coach – Dan Marsh
Victoria
Matthew Wade ©
Scott Boland
Dan Christian
Aaron Finch
Peter Handscomb
John Hastings
Jon Holland
Glenn Maxwell
Clint McKay
James Pattinson
Rob Quiney
Peter Siddle
Marcus Stoinis
Cameron White
Coach – David Saker
Cricket Australia XI (Subject to change with squad to be formalised later today)
Sam Heazlett (QLD)
Josh Inglis (Vic)
Ben McDermott (TAS)
James Bazley (QLD)
Seb Gotch (VIC)
Matthew Short (WA)
Alex Gregory (SA) ©
Jack Wildermuth (QLD)
Jhye Richardson (WA)
Liam Hatcher (NSW)
Mitch Swepson (QLD)
Hilton Cartwright (WA)
Riley Ayre (ACT)
Matthew Dixon (WA)
Coaches – Troy Cooley / Graeme Hick

What a start to the tournament!

Some simply amazing scores today.

Tasmania beat Queensland with Ben Dunk scoring 104 no @ North Sydney

NSW gave the young blokes in the Cricket Australia XI a complete thrashing, with Steve Smith scoring 143 no, Nic Maddinson scoring 108 and Mitch Starc taking 6/25 and bowling very quick @ Bankstown.

At Hurstville it was a run feast with some huge scores. WA made 350 with both Cameron Bancroft (176) and Shaun Marsh (109) scoring centuries. SA chased down the total with a few overs to spare, thanks to 112 no from Callum Ferguson and the second highest ever score in Australian One day domestic history - 202 from 120 balls from Travis Head which included 20 4's and 12 6's. What a game!

Looking forward to the upcoming games. First televised one is on Thursday.

Last edited:
I was at Blacktown last night for VIC vs QLD and it turned out to be a decent game on a very slow pitch.

I also went to the NSW vs WA game today and although Smith got a second ball duck, he then proceeded to take photos and sign autographs for a good 45 minutes. Champion!

Most players were happy to sign on the boundary as well (Mitch Marsh was one)

Cheers
Matt

I was at Blacktown last night for VIC vs QLD and it turned out to be a decent game on a very slow pitch.

I also went to the NSW vs WA game today and although Smith got a second ball duck, he then proceeded to take photos and sign autographs for a good 45 minutes. Champion!

Most players were happy to sign on the boundary as well (Mitch Marsh was one)

Cheers
Matt
Was there last night and also today Matt,

Wish I knew you were going, would have said hello....

Well done NSW worthy champions.

Has been a hectic couple of weeks, I ended up attending 9 games during the tournament. It's a shame this was not promoted by Cricket Australia or the media. Even though it was on exclusively in NSW, with a full test strength squad, the Sydney media did absolutely nothing to get it out there that this was on.

I don't know anything else with as good value for money. A ticket to the test here in Sydney this year, you will be lucky to get change from $100 for one day and that is against a second string West Indies side missing their big names, with Gayle, Bravo, Sammy, Badree, Pollard all playing in the BBL. These games showcasing the best cricketers in Australia set you back a whopping $10. What's more if you were a member of the Thunder or Sixers entry was free.

I read several articles bagging the tournament and the lack of spectators. Perhaps if one of the journalists praised the fact we had the best cricketers in the country here and encouraged attendance it would have been a different story.

Oh well, I for one enjoyed all the games I saw. The final was a bit of a fizzer in the end, however seeing Mitchell Starc in full flight achieving those amazing stats 26 wickets in 6 games, Steve Smith scoring at will, along with some huge scores from some others during the tournament. 202 from Travis Head and hundreds for Nic Maddinson, Tim Paine, Cameron Bancroft, Shaun Marsh, Callum Ferguson, Ed Cowan, Marcus Stoinis, Dom Michael and others.

Also saw first hand the joy on the kids faces when I saw Nathan Reardon give away his pads, Callum Ferguson give out his gloves after just scoring a century wearing them, Ed Cowan give away his pads and shirt after the final yesterday. Glenn maxwell gave away his whole kit, long sleeve shirt, vest, pants, Matt Wade, John Hastings, Dan Christian all gave away match worn gear to the kids that turned up. Even the umpires were in the spirit giving the match balls away at the end of each game.

Look forward to the shield cricket, BBL and the the Tests and ODIs. A big summer ahead and I Cant wait! Bring it on......

Last edited:
I attended the one game I saw you at at Bankstown and the NSW players couldn't have given my kids more of their time and sigs. I'm miffed my wife's work schedule prevented us going to more but caught a fair few on telly.

If promoted right in each state over the summer these games would blitz it.

Was also nice to see a full strength NSW side for once. We really are the best

Back
Top Bottom