2014 Select Series 2

Mike666, ( NO THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON YOU LIKE YOU WOULD SAY I AM) you are looking at this the wrong way, 2008 sold well because of good product, steve kept HEAPS of cases and sold alot at inflated prices, the value of his monopoly. Now lets turn to one year earlier, 2007, the series was a complete flop mate, there are boxes selling now for LESS then hat they solf for i 2007. You misconception does not ring true Mike. You cant sell something for double if there is still no demand.

50 People not purchasing would potentially add up to way beyond 25K, more like 50K and then roll that over every year, and then every one of their mates that dont then get invloved. Potential for disaster.

This set reminds me so much of 2007, for selects sake, lets hope its not as big of a flop!

As a set collector, i am happy for the big guys to open whatever they like, because it going to be a HELL of a lot cheaper for myself to buy all cards individually!

He must have had someone proof it for him. If you have ever rcvd an email from Steve, this is well WELL above he written Commute.

that i agree with. not having a go at him but English and grammar were never his strong point in emails i have received.
You would think if he has 1 or even a couple read over what he was writing they may have tried and got him to reconsider posting it in the first place!

Mike666, ( NO THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON YOU LIKE YOU WOULD SAY I AM) you are looking at this the wrong way, 2008 sold well because of good product, steve kept HEAPS of cases and sold alot at inflated prices, the value of his monopoly. Now lets turn to one year earlier, 2007, the series was a complete flop mate, there are boxes selling now for LESS then hat they solf for i 2007. You misconception does not ring true Mike. You cant sell something for double if there is still no demand.

50 People not purchasing would potentially add up to way beyond 25K, more like 50K and then roll that over every year, and then every one of their mates that dont then get invloved. Potential for disaster.

This set reminds me so much of 2007, for selects sake, lets hope its not as big of a flop!

As a set collector, i am happy for the big guys to open whatever they like, because it going to be a HELL of a lot cheaper for myself to buy all cards individually!

just going a bit off topic, I wasn't collecting in 2007(had a break for a few years - got back into it in 09), what was so bad about the 2007 series 2?

Long story short and off the top of my head.
2007 was a huge flop because there was no value in a box. Exactly how i see this years by the way.
There was no real 1:72 card, and the draft picks were numbered to higher then previous years. 450 each i believe
Plus people didnt like the design much

I have met Steve several times and he is a great bloke - love the shop as well. No denying he has done a lot for the card industry in this country and Kudos for that mate!

Having said that, the fact that Cardzone (and Select for that matter) doesn't have more of an active presence in online communities is disappointing. Furthermore the timing of that post just reeks of 'getting on the defensive' in a difficult situation. It is no surprise the nature of the post considering JHL and Select work together and that Cardzone stocks A LOT of Select product.

How about Select get onto the forums and ASK the customers what they want? I work in an industry where products change all the time, and sometimes there are price increases but they are generally justified.

Sometimes the disappointed customers are the customers you can learn the most from.

Long story short and off the top of my head.
2007 was a huge flop because there was no value in a box. Exactly how i see this years by the way.
There was no real 1:72 card, and the draft picks were numbered to higher then previous years. 450 each i believe
Plus people didnt like the design much

Granted i wasn't "there" when it came out, but on paper its crazy to think people saw it lacked value. 4 medal winner sigs #'d to 100 and two legend sigs #'d to 110. Plus HoF series 3 with coaches as an insert set.

Granted i wasn't "there" when it came out, but on paper its crazy to think people saw it lacked value. 4 medal winner sigs #'d to 100 and two legend sigs #'d to 110. Plus HoF series 3 with coaches as an insert set.

but if u didnt get a box with one which u had a 2 in 16 i believe shot of it. the box simply sucked

Plus it made for boring busting

Last edited:
Honest question mate, as ive done with the select bashing.
How do you see this series as being highly collectable when the main inserts plus DPSs are well over 300 cards + each?
Prime were at 145 and you can still find them all on ebay at any time and at a cheap cheap price for 90% of them. Now double that with these cards Ebay will be flooded for years to come driving card prices right down.
For me something as simple as going to 50 each or 100 each etc would have made a huge difference to this series. and DPSs sitting at around 275ish or less.

My example is the footycard trader effort. Especially the Set featuring Wingard etc. Because he threw in inserts at a very low number, and they werent anything special for most just normal cards. Anytime they happen to pop up on ebay, which is rarely, they still fetch a pretty penny. And this is an unlicensed product!

Honest question mate, as I've done with the select bashing - Hope that doesn't mean you are going to start on me. :(

I guess I should have put it in perspective. I am probably a different type of collector to most. I have three sons and have been putting together a collection for each of them. So that means that I collect 3 of everything. Not Just Essendon(two of them) and Fremantle(the 1 who shall not be mentioned), but everything. So that means I am trying to get three Captain sigs, three Polly Farmer 63 Scanlens, three Kavanagh-Ellis-Paine Triple sigs from Draft Prospects, three of each of the 100 1996 Brownlow predictors. So when People call out for more limited cards I start to panic. My biggest fear is that we will go like the states and have 1:1. I would then seriously think about giving it away.

I then also collect a specific numbered card for my own collection. It is not an extremely low number, but has a meaning to me.

What surprises me is that everyone complains about Select not looking after the collector and then relating the Cards to a value. Surely as a collector you would want more to collect. You shouldn't really care about the fact that more of them means they will be cheaper to get.

Besides, if you want a card to be worth more then pick one out and buy them all. That seems to work for some larger print run Draft sigs. ;)

For some people who want lots to collect there is always series 1, but for some others like myself, series 2 is the only place to get something of a low print run. But it seems to be heading in the other direction. I'm not saying we want 1/1 or anything, even 1/10 is pushing it, that would kill the hobby here in Oz. But whats wrong with wanting some nice 1/25 or 1/50 inserts every once and awhile? I mean hell, even some good quality 1/100 or there abouts inserts would make me happy in series 2. It doesn't even need to be too crazy, how about a lower print run dps signed with a red pen? Maybe 275 in black like normal and 50 in red? Or lets use last years Prime draft golds for example, do 125 or 150 or whatever in the gold foil, then run another 50 exactly the same in platinum foil? They are just a couple of ideas straight off the top of my head, if I wanted to I could think of more. I love the idea of a brownlow release, but think this series misses the mark on so many levels.

lol no no mate meant nothing towards u, was genuinely asking

thats fair enough! good luck with that to, glad to hear your kids will be the next generation of collector..

The only time i relate things to money, for me is, i dont resell BUT if a box is X amount and the cards i collect as a Power collector is X amount and one number is a HELL of a lot less then the other or the cards are extremely easy to get it makes no sense to waste money with boxes...

But if there were cards that were harder to get ie 50 / 100 then you would have to buy boxes... Or theres redemptions that are low numbered or something special to drive prices way up again u would have to buy a box....

But with this it takes the fun out of buying them, going to the secondary market only and not busting boxes / packets which i love...

and A LOT of collectors are manily team chasers not set chasers, and this doesn't cater for many team collectors. Plus nothing innovative...

Series 2 is meant to be the more expensive cream of the crop. and lets face it, its not...

still feel select needs compertition, like what footy cards did... so what did Select do, copy the idea.

Not at all mate. I welcome replies to my posts. means people are actually reading them. :)

I think my reply to Adz2332 above would probably put a better spin on my view.

As for 2007 Supreme. If you know of half price cases then please point me in the right direction. Boxes we know are searched. I still don't understand why 07 gets such a hammering. The draft sigs are now one of the best years. I think it may have something to do with all the sig redemptions being Interstate and a drunk/gambler.

The masters cards are awesome, the DPS cards have a nice selection of rookies again, the Blight and Skilton signatures are awesome. Throw in some collectable sketch cards and they look ok.

It's usual Select stuff but nothing to complain about.

IMO the 'Honours' stuff should have been put into a higher end release after the 2014 season. Strip that from your Series 2 product and give us some lower numbered team cards (club legends, rookies, coaches etc). The idea of having 18 clubs with /145 'gold' cards last year was awesome, keep the numbers down but print numbers up as a total.

50/50 if I buy a box this year, I bought 3 last year. Would only chase the Blight signature and D Lang signature.

I think people look dimly on 2007 because 2006 was a shorter run, because if you go back to 2005 that looks an even worse release (in terms of hits/exclusivity)

750 cases
VFL Premiers 1:180
DPS #'d/600
2 Medal Winner sigs #'d/100
3 Legend sigs #'d/100
Master Redemption #'d/200

460 cases
VFL Premiers #'d/400
DPS #'d/275
Brownlow Predictors #'d/100
5 Sig redemptions #'d/100

600 cases
DPS #'d/450
HoF Legends #'d/1750
Premiership Predictors #'d/450
4 Medal Winner sigs #'d/100
2 Legends Sigs #'d/110
And 2005 came after what appeared to be an incredibly successful 2004 with the limited Ovation and hit loaded Conquest. Though the DPS that year were unnumbered.

I dunno, i busted a box of 2007 last year, and i didn't feel any more or less cheated than i did with Eternity or Prime.

And I pulled a James Seller DPS (which i flipped for about $17 earlier this year)

for me tho it was as if things were headed the right way in 2006. low numbers for DPSs, low numbered 1:72 cards (brownlow ones) VFL primers for the other 1:72 so one or the other and had premiership predictors that people seem to love.
5 excellent low number redemptions..... Low cases....

Then BOOM on the back of a hugely successful 2006, the cases balloons. DPSs almost double in numbers, theres no real 1:72 cards. Plus dropped the Premiership predictors in favour of one. HOF cards ridiculous in numbers. and the design seemed to not be liked.
So again 2006 seemed to head in the right direction, and then 2007 killed momentum

But that's my point, it feels more like a cycle than a gradual evolution of the product.
2004 had awesome, hit loaded/limited releases. Then 2005 was cut back with a longer run. Then 2006 had a shorter run with more hits. Then 2007 had similar hits but a longer run.
And now here we are again.
As people have said Select don't ingrain themselves within the community, they don't rely on feedback for direction, they likely just pump out product based on their current figures and projected bottom line

Disappointed there is no Ablett or O'Meara sigs.

Wrapt about the Blight sig. Also happy with them being numbered to 200 as I'll have more opportunity to pick it up cheaply. Given that it's his first signature card I doubt it will go for as low as the 2013 signatures ($150), but I'd be wrapped if it did.

Will buy on ebay as well as 5 or 6 of the best draft pick signatures (def Luke McDonald). Not too happy with these being discontinued. Was a great way to pick up a signature of a future star on the cheap.

I guess I'm different to a lot of you in that I rarely open boxes. Once you get over the thrill of the chase, its just not worth it. That being said, it is a bit concerning if no one is going to breaking open this product as it means ebay wont be flooded with them and the initial prices may be high. Will be interesting to see what happens.

But that's my point, it feels more like a cycle than a gradual evolution of the product.
2004 had awesome, hit loaded/limited releases. Then 2005 was cut back with a longer run. Then 2006 had a shorter run with more hits. Then 2007 had similar hits but a longer run.
And now here we are again.
As people have said Select don't ingrain themselves within the community, they don't rely on feedback for direction, they likely just pump out product based on their current figures and projected bottom line

Hows that a good thing tho... Shouldnt they strive to out do what they did last? imagine if any other company did this. simple you would go to a competitor. But select know we cant. so we have to sit back and take it....

ebay will still be flooded but by the bigger sellers who bust as many as they can to try n make money. With DPSs numbered high again this year you will have no probs fining them on the cheap. just wait for the first rush to be over and you will be able to get all you like cheaply

Back
Top Bottom