12 year old - new collector - where to start

Brisbane Tim

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Tim
Hi,

my son has just started collecting, we have bought a few small cheap packets here and there, nothing special.
we have hit up eBay but got stung heaps with postage. Lots of doubles now also.
He loves everything nba, old and new, knows everything, it blows my mind how he knows all the names he does.

I’m trying to be supportive and help him out, but everything is always sold out in the shops.
I have reverted to trying to sell my old footy cards to get some coin together to help try and buy a bigger box potentially in the future.

my question, best place to start looking for cards at a reasonable price? Maybe in the Brisbane Qld area? Would love for him to be able to trade some if possible as postage has burnt into his pocket money.

He is super into it and I want to support that as I know the excitement from when I was a kid collecting footy cards. Just back then I could just go to the shop and buy/trade.

Any advice or recommendations is welcome, thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum Tim (and to your son!).
Tough entry to the hobby with prices high (for current era Hoops) coupled with postage rorts.
Is he team specific or player specific, or just loves whatever he can get his hands on?

Not sure about the Brisbane area, but suggest you post a thread in the wanted section of the forum.
Happy to help him out with some low-end cards if you send thru some info on what he's after and a postal address. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Tim (and to your son!).
Tough entry to the hobby with prices high (for current era Hoops) coupled with postage rorts.
Is he team specific or player specific, or just loves whatever he can get his hands on?

Not sure about the Brisbane area, but suggest you post a thread in the wanted section of the forum.
Happy to help him out with some low-end cards if you send thru some info on what he's after and a postal address. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you so much for responding, I just figured out how to message you so sent you a message.

Welcome. I've got a whole heap of dupes also if you let me know what he's after I can help out there. Otherwise, maybe try dacardworld.com for some of their lower end retail boxes.
Thank you so much for responding, I just figured out how to message you so sent you a message.

Hey Tim, I'm Brisbane also.

Not sure what you're willing to spend, but I buy off eBay and have everything delivered to Shipmycards, then have a package delivered home every few months. I find that cost-effective in terms of buying reasonably-priced product and the shipping back home doesn't kill you. At the least, buying from eBay/US sellers is generally far more affordable than the markups suppliers in Australia charge.

Cool that you're sharing the hobby with your son, I hope to do that in another 10 or so years. You're welcome to touch base with me at any time if you'd like a no-nonsense heads up on anything.

Back
Top Bottom