Expensive postage

steve-o

Banned User
Real Name
steve
Why is postage so expensive even if local I sent 2 packages 2 America cost me $26 so expensive and registered its $25 dollars I think this is why lots of traders in us or on ebay charge lot

Saw on ebay the guy one the card for $ 12 seller charging 50 plus postage to send

If you send normal mail to the US, it should cost you $2.60 for under 50 grams (as a large letter, not a parcel). Unless the cards are expensive, I wouldn't go with registered or tracking, it is not worth it. It's cheaper to lose the cards.

I think this is why lots of traders in us or on ebay charge lot
Saw on ebay the guy one the card for $ 12 seller charging 50 plus postage to send

The issue with the postage prices that are around $26 Australian on ebay.com is how seller sets up his default posting. Just send them an email and ask how much postage is to Australia. Sometimes you'll encounter a seller who will just say that's the price, tough-titties. So obviously you do not buy from him. Sometimes the seller has no idea it is listed at that price, will be shocked and will get you a proper quote of say US $7.50 to $10.45. And then there are those sellers that have set up the o/s posting correctly, and postage will be listed at those prices to begin with. Overtime you will or should build up a saved seller list who are set up correctly or u have purchased from before at reasonable postage costs.

If you see postage cost of $25 or even $40, the seller is most likely not accustomed to selling cards overseas and uses whatever is default on eBay, which could be the quote for parcel post. The easiest thing to do is ask, the worst outcome is rejection, you move on to the next seller. Some sellers are willing to work with the buyer to achieve a cost effective delivery, but USPS has become more strict with their mail classification, a lot of what used to be Large Letters are not Packages, which is why it is costing $7 rather than $2 back then. And their postal system sucks, they have to fill in forms at the counter, so it is hard to get away with just buying stamps and sticking on whatever you believe it should cost LOL.

Just drop them a message asking what method they use; I've had sellers tell me that they use a basic postage service and I decline to buy from them because it's clearly a rip-off. But others use speedy, sign on delivery postage that actually costs 30 bucks. I'm not happy to pay it, but at least I know I'll get my card, and quickly too.

i think has to do with the wage rate in aus to, from us i can get a bubble mailer sent to me from a seller i buy off for au 7.25 with tracking
i sent a bubble mailer today cost me 5.20 regular post to send to usa and registered dl envelope just to nz is 14.40 so i wont even bother sending registered t us a not worth it unless its couple hundred worth of cards . Australia post clearly very expensive to bad there is no other option for us sellers

I think you need to take into account of the weight of the package. $7.25 USD is like $8 AUD which is not cheap at all, and this is for very small amount, any reasonably sized package will be >$9 USD and this is not registered.

I agree with you that Australia Post is expensive, but they are no more expensive than the USPS. There is a huge jump in postage (from $2.60 to $6.20) as soon as you cross the 50g mark. So if you are sending something that is say, 75g, you will be better off to split them into 2 lighter packages (all up $5.20). It sounds like you just pasted on 2 stamps like it used to be, so you got away with it.

Back
Top Bottom