Why is Grading not a Thing?

The simple fact of it is that nobody is stopping anyone from grading their AFL cards. If there is little interest for it, then that's how it is. It just means nobody cares about grading cards, or they don't like the look of it or whatever the reason is. Personally, I hate the look of cards in a grade case. I think it takes away from the card and when displayed just looks terrible.

I really hope people don't get on the trend of grading cards and reselling them graded at a MUCH higher price just because of the grade on it. Why? Because why on earth would I wish for cards to be higher priced that I am chasing? I mean, I have a seen a graded base Dusty card for $50. It's since been removed from eBay, but $50 for a COMMON CARD just because it's in a slab? Come on now, that is taking the piss all the way, especially for a card that is not worth more than the board it's printed on.

I have always been against graded cards going for more than they are raw, but that is the scene and we live with it. Maybe I am a bit old skool or what have you, but I think it's a load of bollocks to me honest and I really hope we don't go down that road because I know many people that have missed out on cards they've wanted in other genres and it was because they were priced out by a grade. That's me anyway.
Myself I'm tired of buying banged up cards described as mint, perfect or some other totally wrong description. This week I actually sold a Dusty prestige base CGA 10 for about $30, I don't collect Dusty but if I did I'd think that is a reasonable price for a card that I know is mint and might keep in my PC for the rest of time, and with any luck the value might increase over time as the card becomes scarcer and so many copies get banged up and younger generations want a mint copy. Just my take on grading and I'd prefer it to become a thing, so long as grading costs don't skyrocket here like they have in the USA.

Myself I'm tired of buying banged up cards described as mint, perfect or some other totally wrong description. This week I actually sold a Dusty prestige base CGA 10 for about $30, I don't collect Dusty but if I did I'd think that is a reasonable price for a card that I know is mint and might keep in my PC for the rest of time, and with any luck the value might increase over time as the card becomes scarcer and so many copies get banged up and younger generations want a mint copy. Just my take on grading and I'd prefer it to become a thing, so long as grading costs don't skyrocket here like they have in the USA.
Can't see the price skyrocketing with the lack of demand to purchase graded cards at the moment. I'm going through my collection and starting to grade all the stuff I like or think a collected might be interested in though, just in case.

I just think it's interesting that the AFL "scene" is different from/lagging behind the US sports card market. For some collectors the condition of the card is really important (e.g. like it is with first edition books and many other collectables). Just seems that the AFL card market isn't overly fussed en masse.

I'm not sure what you mean by lagging behind? If people aren't interested, they aren't interested.

Each to their own. Personally I think any base card at all for $30 is disgusting but again, people are entitled to do what they will and if someone buys it, then so be it.

Loooong time lurker on this forum - but just started an account to comment here.

I'm more of a soccer card guy but have an AFL collection that I've had since I was a kid.

I think grading in AFL is becoming a thing. I've graded AFL at SGC, and that was no issue, and I know Slabd have sent all Select checklists to PSA.

Personally, though, I think I'll be sending all of my AFL to CGA. Well, by 'all' it'll be the cards I think are worth grading.

I know, for example, in soccer because the graders are a little out of the loop - a lot of counterfeit stickers have come up recently with BGS (mainly) grading a massive amount of counterfeit Cristiano Ronaldo stickers. I know that we're a while off bulk counterfeit footy cards, but I don't like the idea of using grading companies that don't know the sport.

Back
Top Bottom