Why is Grading not a Thing?

jimboner

OzCardTrader
Real Name
James
eBay User
jimmeh_james
I'm interested in explanations as to why grading AFL cards isn't a thing. Prices are getting up there, I find it interesting that there hasn't been a move toward Aus grading services.

My opinion is that grading could be in the future for AFL.
We already have the lag from redemption and waiting for cards in the mail.
Perhaps people just don't want to add weeks-months waiting for graded cards.
I've seen them on the net. It's a good presentation to sell but how many could
people really afford to grade..It's only Cherry Collectables that handle Aust orders from
my understanding, so the service needs further promoting and quicker turnarounds.
Ebay seller "Beckett boy" is possibly a good contact for you to talk to if you didn't know about him.
Other than that it will slowly come in, but only among certain collectors. who probably
often grade their own cards and value it more when they buy.

My take. This current generation of 30-45 year old AFL collectors haven't been exposed to
grading like Americans have. Yes,we mostly remember to ask if the card is mint and then if we have dealt before
or the description is good we regard it as the end of that conversation.

Ask yourself if people selling a pristine graded Select Bf album card for in the 40 price range
can compete in the short term selling against MINT top loader sellers offering the same card for 10-20
and you will see why long term potential isn't really viable. It has to be low serial or a signature in my opinion
to really do it and card value can drop in the turn around time on these cards meaning instead of selling
you end up holding in many cases. But quicker turnarounds and more graded agents for AUST entering the market
would change my mind on this.

Last edited:
For sure, sending to the US for grading is a hassle coupled with a burden.

I was thinking why has something like CGA not become a thing here? Don't see too many CGA graded AFL cards for sale on ebay. Seems like AFL collectors don't really seem to care.

For sure, sending to the US for grading is a hassle coupled with a burden.

I was thinking why has something like CGA not become a thing here? Don't see too many CGA graded AFL cards for sale on ebay. Seems like AFL collectors don't really seem to care.
Yes. Agree. As stated above only "Beckett boy" seems to be operating currently in the ebay market.
I've never had a card graded but I'm open to the idea if it's a good service and buyers have a track record of supporting them in AUST.
I have heard of lots of people in America getting a grade they don't agree with and removing the card from the holder and advertising
as high grade raw anyway without the official case. Or people getting a grade they want and listing at twice what the market can afford so there's 2 problems already even when the grading companies respond well.
I guess everyone has their own explanation. Enquire with cherry or look into that ebay seller would be my advice to get
their perspective.
It's a good topic !

I dont think CGA grade harshly enough. to many cards with to high a grade
Since I posted this CGA have changed from a 1-100 scale to the more traditional 1-10 scale. Which could be interesting.

I also have no evidence for this next point, but I've noticed my 1990s AFL cards have aged significantly better than my 1990s NFL cards, maybe Select Aus have always used high quality stock.

I dont think CGA grade harshly enough. to many cards with to high a grade

Since I posted this CGA have changed from a 1-100 scale to the more traditional 1-10 scale. Which could be interesting.

I also have no evidence for this next point, but I've noticed my 1990s AFL cards have aged significantly better than my 1990s NFL cards, maybe Select Aus have always used high quality stock.

There is I think, a pretty good reason for that, the majority of the select cards are very good quality, and those that aren't good quality would not be sent for grading as they are few and far between and a poorly graded select card would have significantly less value than an ungraded one.

Given grading isn't massive here why would anyone send anything modern in that wouldn't get a good grade, makes no sense at all, so of course the population will have a higher % of high grades.

There is I think, a pretty good reason for that, the majority of the select cards are very good quality, and those that aren't good quality would not be sent for grading as they are few and far between and a poorly graded select card would have significantly less value than an ungraded one.

Given grading isn't massive here why would anyone send anything modern in that wouldn't get a good grade, makes no sense at all, so of course the population will have a higher % of high grades.
100% agree

And given that there doesn't seem to be a value bump from a good grade, the majority of people sending in cards are people who are collectors wanting to preserve cards and as such they stuff will be in good nick.

I have graded over 300 cards with CGA all AFL, and have lost count of how many NBA cards with BGS and PSA over the years. I think grading is crucial for vintage AFL if you are interested in collecting cards in Mint-Pristine condition. There are too many sellers on ebay that claim their cards are in mint condition, but if they were graded, would not achieve a high grade. It is very rare to get vintage AFL cards graded >90. For example, I sent in over 10 1986 Ablett scanlens cards before receiving a grade over 90. I also rarely sell my collection but can assure you that high grade iconic vintage AFL cards will attract a premium price. For example, I bought a 1973 Matthews scanlens for $85, it was graded a 97, and I sold it on ebay for $500. Having said this, I dont really see the value in grading modern AFL cards, because if it didn’t grade >90 then the value would decrease so grading would seem to be counter intuitive for modern cards.

Just my thoughts based on my experience.

Last edited:
There may be an exception for modern day AFL cards, where if collectors are chasing base rookie cards, which are typically mass produced, then greater value may be achieved if the base rookie graded exceptionally high, eg 100. However, until CGA produce pop reports for their graded cards its difficult to determine how many base rookies would have that high grade and therefore how rare it is to achieve that grade and therefore how valuable a card graded 100 would be?!

Another aspect of grading to consider, particularly for vintage cards, is the authentication. I have had about 5 cards rejected by CGA because they were altered. All 5 were purchased from ebay in that condition. I wasn’t aware of the alteration but once CGA pointed it out it was obvious to see. So I think for very rare vintage cards it may be worth considering getting your card graded to ensure that it is authentic and hasn’t been altered, which would also ensure confidence for buyers purchasing very rare vintage cards, as you would know exactly what you are getting.

Last edited:
I have graded over 300 cards with CGA all AFL, and have lost count of how many NBA cards with BGS and PSA over the years. I think grading is crucial for vintage AFL if you are interested in collecting cards in Mint-Pristine condition. There are too many sellers on ebay that claim their cards are in mint condition, but if they were graded, would not achieve a high grade. It is very rare to get vintage AFL cards graded >90. For example, I sent in over 10 1986 Ablett scanlens cards before receiving a grade over 90. I also rarely sell my collection but can assure you that high grade iconic vintage AFL cards will attract a premium price. For example, I bought a 1972 Matthews scanlens for $85, it was graded a 97, and I sold it on ebay for $500. Having said this, I dont really see the value in grading modern AFL cards, because if it didn’t grade >90 then the value would decrease so grading would seem to be counter intuitive for modern cards.

Just my thoughts based on my experience.
Sounds like a good play could be to grade cards now that will be vintage in the future. While no-one is really grading. Long game I know.

Sorry, late to the party. I think it will become more prevalent with higher end cards. I was also late to the supremacy party, and whilst most of the cards I picked up were good, one or two we a little disappointing. I certainly would be willing to pay a premium if I knew I was getting a 9 or above. It's pretty disappointing to pay $100 plus for a card and it's not perfect....

Sorry, late to the party. I think it will become more prevalent with higher end cards. I was also late to the supremacy party, and whilst most of the cards I picked up were good, one or two we a little disappointing. I certainly would be willing to pay a premium if I knew I was getting a 9 or above. It's pretty disappointing to pay $100 plus for a card and it's not perfect....
Yeah, it's disappointing when you purchase a card of eBay and it's got a dinged corner you couldn't see in the image, or the surface is a little busted. Something where you think it might grade an 8. I guess some people think cards are cards and dings are inevitable.

Once PSA sort their crap out and it becomes an actual option again Im going to send over some PC AFL cards for grading. The ones I value most. looks good on the shelf.

If you are happy to wait 12 months for your cards, and don't mind $30 per or whatever ridiculous cost it is now... hence only my top tier personal collection.

Once PSA sort their crap out and it becomes an actual option again Im going to send over some PC AFL cards for grading. The ones I value most. looks good on the shelf.

If you are happy to wait 12 months for your cards, and don't mind $30 per or whatever ridiculous cost it is now... hence only my top tier personal collection.
Yep. I sent 3 Ablett Sigs over in October last year to BGS. Hoping they aren't too far away.... Will probably get a few more done when it opens up, but not whilst its 12 plus months....

The simple fact of it is that nobody is stopping anyone from grading their AFL cards. If there is little interest for it, then that's how it is. It just means nobody cares about grading cards, or they don't like the look of it or whatever the reason is. Personally, I hate the look of cards in a grade case. I think it takes away from the card and when displayed just looks terrible.

I really hope people don't get on the trend of grading cards and reselling them graded at a MUCH higher price just because of the grade on it. Why? Because why on earth would I wish for cards to be higher priced that I am chasing? I mean, I have a seen a graded base Dusty card for $50. It's since been removed from eBay, but $50 for a COMMON CARD just because it's in a slab? Come on now, that is taking the piss all the way, especially for a card that is not worth more than the board it's printed on.

I have always been against graded cards going for more than they are raw, but that is the scene and we live with it. Maybe I am a bit old skool or what have you, but I think it's a load of bollocks to me honest and I really hope we don't go down that road because I know many people that have missed out on cards they've wanted in other genres and it was because they were priced out by a grade. That's me anyway.

The simple fact of it is that nobody is stopping anyone from grading their AFL cards. If there is little interest for it, then that's how it is. It just means nobody cares about grading cards, or they don't like the look of it or whatever the reason is. Personally, I hate the look of cards in a grade case. I think it takes away from the card and when displayed just looks terrible.

I really hope people don't get on the trend of grading cards and reselling them graded at a MUCH higher price just because of the grade on it. Why? Because why on earth would I wish for cards to be higher priced that I am chasing? I mean, I have a seen a graded base Dusty card for $50. It's since been removed from eBay, but $50 for a COMMON CARD just because it's in a slab? Come on now, that is taking the piss all the way, especially for a card that is not worth more than the board it's printed on.

I have always been against graded cards going for more than they are raw, but that is the scene and we live with it. Maybe I am a bit old skool or what have you, but I think it's a load of bollocks to me honest and I really hope we don't go down that road because I know many people that have missed out on cards they've wanted in other genres and it was because they were priced out by a grade. That's me anyway.
I totally see where you're coming from.

I just think it's interesting that the AFL "scene" is different from/lagging behind the US sports card market. For some collectors the condition of the card is really important (e.g. like it is with first edition books and many other collectables). Just seems that the AFL card market isn't overly fussed en masse.

I wouldn't be surprised if a growing number of collectors start to care more about the condition of the cards in their PC/investment collection. I'd pay more for a slabbed 10 then a raw card (even if the slabs aren't the nicest looking things). How much more is another question. If a card is genuinely rare and there may only be a handful of 10s out there, I can understand that attracting a premium for some collectors going forward (not necessarily myself).

Back
Top Bottom