Who's the next G.O.A.T

Who's the next G.O.A.T. contender gonna be after Lebron retires?

• Total voters
Giannis might be more in that Tim Duncan/Olajuwon mould where he'll guarantee deep Playoff runs for his entire career. I went him and Luka.

Luka is just ridiculously good. But has a lot to learn.

A smokey is possibly Zion. If healthy he's completely unstoppable. Could be Shaq level dominant.

Who am I missing?

In my opinion I don't believe any on that list have the chance to be considered as the Greatest Of All Time.

Some might pan out to be Hall of Fame type players, or players of the decade etc. but I cannot see any of those players reaching the achievements of past players such as Bill Russell, Abdul-Jabbar or in my opinion the GOAT Michael Jordan.

The only player that will come close to these who is in the league now is Lebum but for the next lot of players coming through, I don't really see any player on that list that would be considered a GOAT of the game of Basketball.

Things can change and one or two of those players may go on and have amazing careers that might bring them into the conversation down the track but they will have to do a hell of a lot on the court to be mentioned along side those I mentioned above.

mate on a serious note you are missing,

Donovan Mitchell - I think he has everything it takes,

If jimmy butler leads the heat to a couple championship wins he could stand out,

If Jamal Murray comes back with no issues he has the talent to take him higher than anyone on the list you have.

Everyone seems to be interpreting the poll differently and I love it!

Personally I've gone with two that have had very different careers so far, sort of hedging my bet a little with either. One injured and another a record breaker already.

Zion Williamson - Yes I know he seems forever injured and everyone thinks he's a bust already. I just think when he comes back healthy next season he's going to win the scoring title, take whatever team he's on to the playoffs and be so dominant in games that everyone will wake up and realise what a unique talent he really is.
All it takes is one MVP year for Zion and the GOAT talk will start heating up. Also, he's likeable and marketable enough to be the face of the NBA.

Luka Doncic - He's already on the path to being the GOAT of this next generation with all the records he's achieving along the way. All he needs is to carry the Mavs to a ring to start the legacy. From there the MVP's will flow in as the game will get easier for him after that pressure comes off from winning a chip :p

A lot of time we don't recognise greatness until it's closer to the end of their careers. How many people despised Jordan during his career and now worship the ground he walks on. I feel it's going to be the same with the next in line. Hated with respect and admired after they retire.

Giannis has a head start on all of the above and I think has the best chance. It will be interesting to see how long he can keep his athleticism or whether it falls off a cliff at some point due to injuries, but he's still only 27. He's currently 2nd in Basketball-Reference's MVP tracker which gives him a decent shot at adding to the two he has already. Might be able to add another ring this year too...

Last edited:
I don't think anyone on that list. Many will have stellar careers but none are LeBron/MJ type players in my opinion.

Luka is super gifted, Giannis is putting together incredible seasons, Zion could very well be dominant in future years... but LeBron has had incredible longevity in the league and can easily play for another 3-4 years. I just don't see anyone coming close for quite some time.

Giannis has a head start on all of the above and I think has the best chance. It will be interesting to see how long he can keep his athleticism or whether it falls off a cliff at some point due to injuries, but he's still only 27. He's currently 2nd in Basketball-Reference's MVP tracker which gives him a decent shot at adding to the two he has already. Might be able to add another ring this year too...
He had the chance to leave and chase a ring with a super team but stayed and won a ring for a team which isn’t as popular as the Lakers, Celtics or Knicks, For me that puts him a class above.

Grayson Allen, the Alex Caruso killer

grayson allen chop.jpg

Nobody on that list, but Giannis is so far ahead of the rest of them right now it's not even funny.

Yes, even Luka. Luka's got accolades but no success. He's still young so that will probably change. But if it doesn't, hard to see him ever being considered a GOAT of anything non-Euro.

Back
Top Bottom