Collecting NFL Cards
Real Name
Benjamin
eBay User
benjamin.baldwin
COMC User
BBaldwin09
Hi all,

I just wanted to ask what are the options for collecting and how you go about collating your wanted lists. I am just restarting collecting and I'm trying to learn the ropes with all the new technology and dynamics since the 90's (like where to buy them, get prices, show off my list, work out a complete list of what I want to collect).

I have a big range of cards from the early 80' and 90's, with a couple fom the 70's, but they are all varied in teams and years from Jim Kelly, Joe Namath, Archie Manning to Barry Sanders, John Elway, Jerry Rice and players like Rick Mirer to name just a few.

What do you collect? How did you work out your wanted lists? etc, etc ...

I am a massive Seahawks fan from the 90's so I imagine an overly optimistic goal would be to collect all the Seahawks, or maybe a single player like my favourite Spartan (My college team) Le'Veon Bell, or anything really that's why I'm keen to ask.

Any help with any of the questions in the previous paragraphs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to showing off all the cards I currently have soon.

Ben.

Hi mate, I'm kind of like you a bit I reckon. Collected a lot around early 90's and only really started up again with NFL a little while ago.

Since coming back I've found COMC really handy to get specific cards, and other than that I get the odd box or two from D&A cardworld, and from breaks in the US, who another collector here put me on to. I really quite enjoy those, and reasonably affordable way to gather some nice cards together.

Looking forward to seeing some of your cards. Love the old school stuff. I mainly collect bears, and the older players like you mentioned, but also happy to get hold of any nice looking card really.

Hi mate, I'm kind of like you a bit I reckon. Collected a lot around early 90's and only really started up again with NFL a little while ago.

Since coming back I've found COMC really handy to get specific cards, and other than that I get the odd box or two from D&A cardworld, and from breaks in the US, who another collector here put me on to. I really quite enjoy those, and reasonably affordable way to gather some nice cards together.

Looking forward to seeing some of your cards. Love the old school stuff. I mainly collect bears, and the older players like you mentioned, but also happy to get hold of any nice looking card really.

Awesome, that's fantastic info. So good to see that I'm not the only one who has fallen for the collecting bug again.

Appreciate the reply mate.

No worries, Ben. Yeah, I couldn't believe how far things had gone since I stopped with NFL back in the 90's. I'll have to post some of the cards I've been getting in break maildays. Been a bit slack lately.

Also, I neglected to mention just how invaluable this site here has been. Have learned heaps from some of the friendliest and most generous people you're likely to meet in the hobby.

No worries, Ben. Yeah, I couldn't believe how far things had gone since I stopped with NFL back in the 90's. I'll have to post some of the cards I've been getting in break maildays. Been a bit slack lately.

Also, I neglected to mention just how invaluable this site here has been. Have learned heaps from some of the friendliest and most generous people you're likely to meet in the hobby.

Can't argue that, everyone has been amazing. I look forward to seeing what you have.

I am all over the place collecting wise (As I build sets as well). You will find a lot of good collectors that have been helpful with cards etc.

Lions cards mostly.

Thinking of starting a PC for either Darius Slay (cornerback) or Theo Riddick (running back). I prefer to collect sleeper guys with potential, its more affordable, well at first anyway ;)

With so much product around it's really hard to define a collection these days...

But for me I collect any Rams players, past or present. And a few non Rams cards of note and I have a Joe Montana side PC. Must admit I don't chase singles too hard these days, mostly due to the lousy conversion rate and high postage costs, but I'm going to the US later this year so will be bound to pick up a few bits and pieces then I hope...

It's interesting as it seems on here people have taken some different directions with their collecting, a lot are team collectors, some chase certain players and others are chasing sets... it's a real mix!

I used to run an access database of my Rams PC, but have to admit I haven't updated it in ages. It was getting pretty big as well, which meant it wasn't too easy to use and with no more card shops around, running reports etc isn't really much of a requirement like it was back in the 90's. Ideally though I want to scan all my Auto's and Game Used cards up onto Photobucket someday... I did that with my NASCAR collection and it worked pretty well, but it's a matter of finding the time to do it...

Back
Top Bottom