Topps Chrome Rookies

NBASIMMO

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Simon
eBay User
Epic_legacy
Forgive my ignorance, but have always wondered -

Why are Topps Chrome rookies so high in demand?

Numbered? High odds? Pack price? Rare?

I remember when the 96/97 Kobe went through the roof and that trend seems to of continued
throughout the years.

Look forward to your thoughts :thumbsup:

In my opinion back in the day there would only be one rookie card for a player. And now with a saturation of rookie cards everyone is looking for something to replace "the one" or a "true" rookie card and Topps Chrome seems to be it.

Strange hobby sometimes. I got a Lebron Fleer Ruby RC /50 and it would go to market for $300-$400. Yet a base Topps chrome which has been produced in the tens of thousands goes for $500-$1000.

Good thoughts there on the one 'true' rookie card (non auto, jersey, patch)

and great example with the Lebron /50 ruby rookie vs Chrome rookie

I always thought Kobe's Ex2000 and Finest rookies were the best design wise, then suddenly, boom Chrome goes up to $300 and it begins - ha

Topps chrome initially had a limited Retail (I think) release, and was not readily available, in US as well as abroad.

After the first year however, with its success it became a mainstream release and they made plenty, but with the nice timing of it coming with Kobe's RC year, it set the tone for its exclusivity.

Ersk

Hype and manipulation play a part.

Timing is also key.

Recently it's been the 98/99 class seeing a large bump.

They're key rookie cards. Unfortunately we can't say the same about Fleer Ultra or Flair as those companies died out.

The Chrome refractor is the constant, even if it's Prizm now.

Next I think we'll see D. Wade and C. Paul explode. They're just way too cheap.

D. Howard may get some interest down the line also.

Cases are being hoarded. I know one guy who has 5 cases of the 03/04 release and every so often he either breaks one or hocks the boxes off on eBay. The 08/09 as well.

Back
Top Bottom