The State of the Hobby....

i think thats unlikely. hes already reached the peak of the player he is. another title wont make any difference to that...at least not long-term.

Given what's happening at the moment i wouldn't be surprised in the least though.

The Gary V effect and "investor money" coming in, rather get in on MJ and Lebron and rare 90's stuff, PSA10 stuff than risky RC (Zion Trae Luka) once theyre out of playoffs/playoff chance

Given what's happening at the moment i wouldn't be surprised in the least though.

The Gary V effect and "investor money" coming in, rather get in on MJ and Lebron and rare 90's stuff, PSA10 stuff than risky RC (Zion Trae Luka) once theyre out of playoffs/playoff chance
agreed given the current trend, but i was talking long term. after all the 'investors' have got bored and lost enough money...
getting in on MJs and lebrons is more about those two holding value over years/decades, not skyrocketing over weeks/months, then crashing back to reality by the next season. only luka and maybe zion hold that potential right now.

I have not ‘Collected’ for a while but I have always like to bust packs/boxes and keep anything that appeals to me.

That has not stopped since the early 90’s 😂

This year I bought two of most products and busted one and stashed the other (for when I have the itch)......that was until Zion started playing! Since then I have looked at the value of the boxes I stashed and can’t bring myself to break them 😮 I really don’t think one thing has brought about these insane prices but more like an accumulation of things all occurring at once.

I still think there are great buys out there and plenty of good value boxes too.....it’s just we have to look a lot harder!
I don’t mind seeing the hobby take off like this because I know it has happened before (When MJ came out of retirement) and it will happen again. You just got to know when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em 😉

For me, there are FAR more important things in life than the price of cards and/or boxes, so if it means I slow down a little and come back when everything settles then that’s all good......just means my wife and kids get that extra bit of attention 😍

The Hobby is gonna keep on trucking. This talk was around about 10 years ago, even on ozcards. Probably the same thread title.

Are we forgetting the China market for cards? It is nuts. And they are cashed up..

I know my rule now will be to not ever sell a card. Any time I do they go up in value.

I hate hearing about people coming into this hobby purely as investors. This is what sucks with the hobby tbh. We all buy and sell to fund our next purchase, but ppl are now going next level with this stuff due to Gary V. Thinking they can invest and flip cards when they've never been involved in cards.
I watched his 2 and a half hour youtube show the other day. Tbh Gary came across well spoken and very honest. But it was crazy how many ppl called him up asking what should I invest in? when should I sell? ect. That to me means they have no idea. People need to do their own research.

Long term Jordan, Lebron and probably Giannis id say
Luka is coming

Interesting to see what happens now, noticed prices have gone with same cards. People that need $$ will start to sell

It's weird seeing so much money come into the hobby. It's cool to know the stuff you've been collecting for years has gained value, but it's a bit of a double edged sword.

I've enjoyed picking up base and silver prizms since the product first came out, but it's reached a tipping point for me where these products are going for prices I am not comfortable with. My concern with this trend is if it continues some collector like myself who aren't big spenders will be priced out completely with regards to buying new product and singles.

Luckily my main focus for a number of years has been my Aminu PC which has never been about value. This PC still allows me to pick up nice cards from modern products for a cheap price and for the last 12 months has been where 95% of my hobby purchases have come from. I guess to this point it's about finding your niche and what you enjoy about collecting, but with that said I know I won't be busting any new product or picking up prizm's of the better rookies from each class going forward and that is a bit of a bummer.

Back
Top Bottom