The old 1 - 2 punch mailday (dual autos)

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Still got a tonne of stuff to scan in - noticed a few dual autos and thought waht's better than one auto? Well, quite simply two autos! So I whipped up a quick mailday - which thankfully has obvious and meaningful connections in terms of why both these guys autographed the one card.

Okay, so to start off with we have a triple auto of Singeltary, Fernandez and Hickson and this card I have no idea why they are all featured on the one card....anybody provide some insight? The mystery is doing my head in!

Singletary / Fernandez / Hickson SPGU Multimarks auto - btwm why I sHickson not in the NBA anymore? He was rather decent?! Edit: Apparently he's now tearing it up in China / Lebanon...

SCN_0133.jpg

Atlanta Hawks Trilogy /33 Spud Webb and Shelden Williams. Hawks didn't achieve great success in the past with midget PGs or secure themselves a good future by burning top 5 picks on guys like Shelden Williams (Duke pedigree and all). ..and check out the size of the dude's forehead! Everyone loves Spud though - what an inspiration!

SCN_0151.jpg

Speaking of big foreheads -whatever happened to Carl Landry? A high tier lost scoring threat no matter the matchup. As for Tomjanovich - a great coach who steered the Rockets to two titles. No real overlap other than as Rudy ended his long term Rockets coaching career, Landry was just entering the league a year or two later as the Rockets latest second rounder...

SCN_0150.jpg

Bill Walton and Baron Davis - opposites end of the spectrum but the UCLA Bruin theme runs strong with this one!

SCN_0029.jpg

Tom Sanders and Tom Heinsohn - couple of legendary Celtics champs /60
SCN_0156.jpg

Dave Cowens & Nate Archibald Seriatim #70 /70 - another couple of legendary HOF Celtics champions
SCN_0149.jpg

Perhaps my second favourite card in my collection. Bill Fitch, coaching mastermind and tbh the person who got me interested in the Xs and Os of basketball tactics, offenses, defensive schemes etc. Pioneered the twin towers with Hakeem and Ralph Sampson (western conference finalists), took the Celtics from cellar dweller to champions after engineering that legendary Celtics frontcourt. Many great college achievements and the first EVER coach of the Cavs who took them to the Eastern Conference finals after many years (check out the Miracle of Richfield story). Ended up guiding the lowly Nets and Clippers into the playoffs for truly dysfunctional front offices... Coach Fitch is helluva riot too, never short of a pun, joke or something quotable or funny to say.

Fitch / Olajuwon /49

SCN_0060.jpg

...and without a shadow of doubt the best dual auto of the lot. Bill Walton and John Wooden personify UCLA basketball and helped to make the game what it is today. You know you;r ea pioneer when you have a type of basketball cut named in your honour, well, the school's honour, but we all know it was Wooden's genius. UCLA high post basketball has stood the test of time! RIP.

SCN_0157.jpg

Well that's it for now - thanks for stopping by. Likes and comments always appreciated. Got plenty more maildays in me yet! But probably not as much quality as this one! lol

Skip

Love the mailday......cannot help laughing at the 2 coneheads in your mailday! LOL

Some stunning autos, always had a soft spot for the Seriatim auto set, what a card !!!
And that dudes forehead :eek::oops::rolleyes::blink:

Which dude mate, Shelden Williams or Landry? Shelden Williams partner is Candace Parker....go figure! I suppose a few million stahed aay does't hurt in the attractiveness stakes.

Seriatim is real nice but i have to say the sticker autos do hurt the end result. If they were on card they;d be near perfect.

Walton/Wooden finishing with a bang! great stuff

Have to really know your basketball lore to appreciate that card - and I see you're one of the select few!

Again a great mix of players. That Dream/Fitch duals is beautiful. Great card from an iconic set.

About as clean as you can hope to get a card - great pics, big autos and well designed. Definitely overpaid for it but had to have it!

Back
Top Bottom