The Official BOSTON CELTICS thread

Re: The Official BOSTON CELTICS Season Thread

Just looking at the C's schedule (and without trying to get ahead of things....)

They're
@ Indiana
NJ
Mia
@Orl
GS
LAL

I know Indy and Orlando are playing alright but the Celtics could really get off to a flyer....In fact I looked at who they've played and I kinda thought 'well they haven't been that great, wait until they get a real test against the big boys!!!' - then I remembered I'm rooting for an East team now!!!!!

There aren't any big boys.

I think they'll roll till Orlando, that'll be a tough one but they should get it. Celtics are doing it good :eek:

Lets just take into consideration how much WORSE this trade makes MInny - have yet to win a game yet :( But well done to Boston they are playing some awesome basketball at the moment and I hope they keep it up.

Look at all the love for Boston. I think the Yanks are right in saying all Aussies support the Celtics! :lol:

Like what Linn said on the previous page too, pretty well spot on. Pierce has had one screamer so far (see Nuggets game), but didn't score too many points. He's yet to go as big as he can go. Same can be said for Ray Allen really, but he has shown some awesome performances. And KG, enough said lol. Can't wait for some of these West team match-ups.

Here are some cool quotes I've heard so far from commentary:

On Kendrick Perkins after a two hand slam from a Pierce assist;
“Keep him fed, he’s gonna get fat”….. Cedric Maxwell

On the Toronto overtime win game 2;
“Garnett carried them through overtime and Ray Allen sealed the deal” (All that needed to be said really)..... Sean Grande

Celtics extend their lead to 20 over the Nets in game 5;
“The Celtics wagon has come out of the gates this year and is rolling over everyone”…..Sean Grande.

Also found this one from Maxwell from last year! :lol: He is great to listen to!

During the first quarter of tonight's radio broadcast of the Celtics game against the Houston Rockets,one of the Celtics players managed to fake out the referee to get a call to go his way. The referee who made this call was Violet Palmer, who happens to be a woman. Cedric Maxwell, the analyst / sidekick on the Celtics broadcast team, proclaimed "Get back in the kitchen!" when she made the call. Max's partner, Sean Grande, tried to throw him a lifeline by pointing out that they had both been previously impressed by Palmer's officiating, but Max continued "Get back in the kitchen and fix me some bacon and eggs!" (Dave Adams - Universal Hub)

Like what Linn said on the previous page too, pretty well spot on. Pierce has had one screamer so far (see Nuggets game), but didn't score too many points. He's yet to go as big as he can go. Same can be said for Ray Allen really, but he has shown some awesome performances.

Well, Ray Allen, games against raptors (maybe i saw u on the stand somewhere on tv Brad :) ) and NJN, u can see he's very comfortable with his game as a celt.. KG is KG.. he will be 20-20 guy any given day if u play 40+ minutes in any NBA team.. But I have a feeling Pierce is yet to peak this season, at least, in a month or so.. IMO, the best celtics signed this season will be Posey and House.. players with heaps of play-offs experiences and never hesitate to shoot big ones when needed.. Also, I have a feeling big baby will not be sent to NBDL coz he has size to backup K-Perkins who's often foul troubled.

I think the game against Magic next week will clearly show how Celtics know what it takes to win.. magic lost to 2 championship caliber teams so far.. if they lost to Celtics, it's pretty sure Celtics is contender team in NBA...I said this, because magic came from behind to win recent road games, especially against NYK.. but better team win eventually after 4th quarter..

celtics against spurs, mavs and suns.. they are obviously big 3 from west and we cannot discount on teams like jazz, nuggets and rockets who can come up big and win... I cannot wait to see celtics against those 6 teams....

great discussion here indeed... but dunno why I can't root to celtics though.. they are obviously fun to watch this year..

Why are we discussing WHAT Pierce, Allen and others can do extra? Pierce's games have been some of the most complete and PRO ACTIVE ball I've seen in his entire career. I couldn't give a shit about what stats the guys put up. They have been putting the wins up. At the end of the day there are only about 100pts or so, 40 rebounds, 20 assists to share amongst the whole team and if any of their numbers its simply due to someone else getting them. This plain and simple is a match up team. Able to change focus on the offensive end and ride the hot shooters like House etc.

If we were winning with point scores of the 80's and low 90's I'd agree. And our defense has been the stand out so far to me as a fan more so than the offensive side getting a lot of the press.

Defense creates offense.

I don't want 82 wins. Add some 4's onto that and THEN I'm happy. That said take it a game at a time and plug on through the season. Early signs are there but after our usual trip out west after the new year we will know exactly where this team stands.

And Davis isn't going anywhere. His size is needed as already mentioned and per minute he is starting to put in great numbers. Perk using his fouls is a combo of being Perk and simply doing his job of denying easy baskets. His fouls will keep down KG's and that aint such a bad thing late in games.

Was mainly commenting on Paul's poorer percentages compared to Rays and KG's for instance, but I know what you're getting at. I still think he can do more on court after watching all 5 games, lol, whether it's needed or not, clearly not at this stage.
Big Baby impressed the heck out of me against New Jersey. Ate up RJ on D. I've been thinking it all along, "match-up problems" is what he creates. Big Baby can tussle with any big guy in the NBA on the boards, he has the strength already to do it and doesn't need the extra height to compete. Might struggle on a Curry, Shaq or possibly the more educated head of a Dwight. His quick feet make it impossible for a small forward or even guard to blow by him on a switch as well. Then you see the big man set a screen! In-pregnable! He should be seeing more minutes, the C's can sure use his 6 fouls as well. But his versatility and athletacism for a guy his, thickness? are outstanding. Lacks a little awareness on the defensive rotation which he can get better at.
Eddie house sure was a find. I'm sure the opposition will struggle with House and Allen on the lookout for open shots. That boy can flat out shoot the ball.

What I'm liking is 89 posts after 5 games.......that equates to 1424 for the season without the playoffs........looking like an ozcards thread record.......

The Boston Celtics' Kevin Garnett was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week for games played Monday, Nov. 5 through Sunday, Nov. 11.

Garnett's 22.7 points, 15.3 rebounds and 6.3 assists helped lead Boston to a 3-0 week. At 5-0, the Celtics are off to their best start since the 1987-88 season (6-0) and are the NBA's lone remaining undefeated team. In Boston's three games last week, Garnett tallied a point-rebound double-double in each to go along 2.7 steals and 1.7 blocks. Garnett's 15.8 rpg for the season leads the NBA.

Here is a closer look at the week for Garnett:

Kevin Garnett, Boston Celtics

Nov. 7 vs. Denver: Tallied 23 points, 13 rebounds, seven assists and four steals in a 119-93 victory over the Nuggets.

Nov. 9 vs. Atlanta: Poured in 27 points to go along with 19 rebounds, six assists and three blocks in Boston's 106-83 win over the Hawks.

Nov. 10 @ New Jersey: Collected 18 points, 14 rebounds, six assists and three steals as the Celtics defeated the Nets 112-101.

AND number one on NBA's team power rankings!

At the very least we can say we got a good week out of the deal :lol:
Hopefully plenty more accolades to come throughout the year. Big Baby ROY? lol, o.k. maybe that's pushing it.

At the very least we can say we got a good week out of the deal :lol:
Hopefully plenty more accolades to come throughout the year. Big Baby ROY? lol, o.k. maybe that's pushing it.

:D

I think if the C's had played more than 2 games in week one he'd have been POW then too.:thumbsup:

not too sure about the power rankings #1 - I think I'd go with the spurs - they've lost once - to Houston who r 6-1 too. I see the Celts don't play any of the Texas triangle till Jan 31 :(

That's o.k. though. Plenty more time to continue to sort out any kinks in their game. More time to watch what those teams are doing as well. Everything seems to be going for the Celtis this year with how things are panning out.

Its the same most years. Our new year trip out west.

A win today sets us up for an even better unbeaten run. The thing that is scaring people the most is the fact we are playing such potent offensive ball but also restricting teams on the defensive end. A 16 point difference between putting up and giving up points is absurd. AND the one area that IS a problem is fixable slowly and WILL get better. I talk of turnovers. That will improve and means more looks at our own basket and less fast break and other points for opponents. Our defense of the opponents transition game so far has been pretty poor too.

In other notes though Tony Allen has little to no hops and therefore isn't as agressive as his usual self and it also effects his outside shot. He wont take the three now and always dribbles to a shot instead. And the funneling of players into KG and Perk works a treat but also makes Perk even more of an foul machine than normal. Ray Allen's minutes need to decrease too. Would be nice if Rondo could drag his man to the wing and let PP handle the ball up top after the half court has been set. Would give him some wide open looks and confidence in his shot and PP as a playmaker with this lot is fine. Doc's rotations don't make me jump up and down with glee.

And just how many points from dunks has Perk got so far! As predicted his is shooting over 60% for the year so far. Big test against JO today.

Murphy/JO on KG if they go with that makes me smile though and even though you would think our boards are right up there they aren't but thats also due to the part of our high FG% as a team and lack of second chance points. Still we should out rebound the Pacers today with hustle and our frontcourt.

Dont mind the first half bet of this for today :-D Boston(-3.5) 1.91

Celtics 6 - 0

Sounded like they weren't so hot tonight, but another win none the less. Pierce got fired up after a harsh foul from Tinsley. I knew Paul would want to step up against the Pacers and backed a bet for 28 points or over today. Paid off nicely.
Will wait to see this one on how we went on court. Defense once again stood out, even though we were outdone on the offensive boards.
This will give them an edge for the game tomorrow at home against New Jersey.

Pierce: 31 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals and a block (only 1 turnover).
Only 3 TO from our bench tonight, much better and 13 overall.
KG: 18 and 11, 2 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks.
Ray: 17 2nd half points, 3 and 3 boards and assists.

Another decent win - Indy only shot 35% and Granger was 8-10 (5-5 in 3's!) so the others were mud!!!! KG and Allen were quiet but sounds like the Truth musta been reading this thread and decided to pull out a classic!!!!

JO and KG certainly look like they kept each other quiet. Great I think how the bench seems to offer something every game. Scalabrine had 9 today and there were 16 other bench points. Also 12 steals and 8 blks.......

Celts led at the half by 9 pts. Isn't it great when these guys that make money to play ball still provide us fans with money for supporting them LOL

Great win and that steal colum is pretty amazing. 12 steals to 3 and a decent job of limiting our TO's which is what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom