The Australian cricket non-official thread!

I can't actually believe 9 lost it.

My whole life it's been on 9.

5-10 years ago I would have been no way . But the boys club at 9 have clearly got old.

Once Richie and Tony died, and Bill became a 12th Man caricature, and they stopped inviting international commentators other than Warneys mates and the rise of excellent women commentators doing extremely well along with some of the fresh voices on ten and 9 didn't change their approach, their days were doomed.

There will be a lot of P`D Off cricket lovers knowing they won`t be watching One day Internationals and 20/20 Cricket unless they have foxtel ...

As for the Big bash not all games will be on 7 either .....

There will be a lot of P`D Off cricket lovers knowing they won`t be watching One day Internationals and 20/20 Cricket unless they have foxtel ...

As for the Big bash not all games will be on 7 either .....

The devil is in the detail.

I'd like to know what platforms they'll now utilise has I know NRL and cricket already have significant device audiences too.

If the olympics and Commonwealth games are anything to go by they will put stuff on the app rather than on the affiliated stations like seven mate.

AFL in Sydney is on 7mate so I think 7 have given up in Sydney.
Never on the main channel.

I know a lot of folks who watch games on tablets etc now as well.

NRL is simulcast 9/Fox for those FTA games and I prefer Fox coverage now. NRL 9 commentators too much like the cricket - too blokey. Hell, my wife analysed the game (NRL and cricket) better than some ex test players to the point I want her to do podcast stuff. Ch 7 should really make an effort on their cricket commentary and go hard for NRL rights too.

It's a sad day for the cricket fan I reckon. For all Nine's cricket coverage became production and presentation-wise in recent seasons, it at least guaranteed free-to-air coverage of home international matches to millions of fans - spanning several generations of cricket enthusiast. It remained one of the few quaint parts of the Australian summer.

Thankfully, Test cricket will be simulcast on Channel 7 - CA would have faced an extraordinary backlash had that not been the case...in fact I read with interest that there are anti-siphoning laws to overcome yet anyway re: the ODI's and T20's.

In honour of Channel Nine's 40 year involvement with the international game, here's the best of Mr Benaud. Incidentally, Richie passed away three years ago on the 10th of April.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tcAOBbDtfY

If it means more cricket on Fox Sports then I’m happy. No one covers sport better. I don’t know the ins and outs of the deal as I haven’t read much on the subject but I’ve had Foxtel for about 12 years now, couldn’t live without it.

If it means more cricket on Fox Sports then I’m happy. No one covers sport better. I don’t know the ins and outs of the deal as I haven’t read much on the subject but I’ve had Foxtel for about 12 years now, couldn’t live without it.

Basically they are saying if you can`t afford Foxtel we don`t you .....

Saw this on Facebook.

C103CBAC-2C22-41A0-A01B-016B6A4B8993.jpeg

Next Year's Ashes and ODI World Cup will be broadcasted on Chan 9.

Foxtel will have a 24Hr channel dedicated to Cricket (like they do for AFL & NRL), that would be something.

And then there were eleven...

History will be made today when Ireland become the 11th nation to play Test cricket. It will be a momentous occasion with players such as Porterfield, Joyce and the O'Brien brothers having already had distinguished international careers in the short formats, but no doubt today will be the culmination of a lifelong dream for them. I can't wait to see how they go!

It says a lot about how on the nose ( or maybe the disdain many have for ) the Channel 9 cricket commentary team when none of the commentators have been picked up by 7 and Fox, and both channels appear to be going for a fresh new look/sound.

Granted, M Waugh, Ponting and Gilly as well as Mel Jones have been picked up from 10, it says a lot that the 'boys club' of Healy, Taylor, Slater, Nicholas, Warne, Clarke etc are not being chased. I assume Chappelli will stick to the radio deal he has and Lawry is retiring. I thought it funny when some of them started appearing on the South Africa tour and now in the BBL. It's a huge thing really. Ch 9 were once the leaders now a dying medium. I just hope 7 jags the next NRL rights.

I think Seven and Fox have made the commercial decision to "re-brand" cricket and the coverage of it - perhaps in a bid to recapture a once avid audience which has become either disinterested or disenfranchised (like me) by recent events. I find it very interesting that Triple M will not continue broadcasting Test cricket (choosing not to bid for the rights).

From my early days "mucking around with the game" as Richie would say, my cricket-following life has been sustained by Richie Benaud, Ian Chappell and Bill Lawry.

To me, Test cricket without Bill Lawry is like coffee without two sugars.....or milk. Or the bloody coffee mug.

Good luck in retirement Mr Lawry. May all your pigeons be winners.

untitled.png

Oh gee, how exciting. David Warner has been added to Channel Nine's commentary team for Australia's one-day tour of England. His first stint behind the microphone will be during the second ODI on Saturday. Nine's Director of Sport Tom Malone said (among other things):

“People have tried to paint Dave as the villain in all this, but he’s been hurting as much as the others".

“We’ve had a professional relationship with Dave for five years now we’ve always found him to be a pretty normal and humble bloke.”

“He just wants to atone for his mistakes and move on - I hope Australia gives all of them (including Smith and Bancroft) that chance.”

I personally don't wish to hear from him again.

Oh gee, how exciting. David Warner has been added to Channel Nine's commentary team for Australia's one-day tour of England. His first stint behind the microphone will be during the second ODI on Saturday. Nine's Director of Sport Tom Malone said (among other things):

“People have tried to paint Dave as the villain in all this, but he’s been hurting as much as the others".

“We’ve had a professional relationship with Dave for five years now we’ve always found him to be a pretty normal and humble bloke.”

“He just wants to atone for his mistakes and move on - I hope Australia gives all of them (including Smith and Bancroft) that chance.”

I personally don't wish to hear from him again.
Bring on channel 7 and Foxtel

The Aussies return to action tonight against England for the first time since the SA tour, with some fresh faces getting the chance to show what they've got.

Series result predictions? Despite the Poms' shock loss to Scotland, I'll go an exact repeat of the ODI series that took place over our summer: 4-1 to England.

17 year-old New Zealand cricketer Amelia Kerr last week produced one of the more remarkable feats ever known in One Day International cricket, scoring 232 not out AND taking 5-17 against Ireland. Kerr broke the record for the highest score in women’s ODI cricket and her score is the 3rd highest score in ODI history, behind Rohit Sharma and Martin Guptill.

Her score came out of a New Zealand total of 4-490, the highest team score in ODI history.

Just think about what she did.....it is an extraordinary individual performance!! :)

Back
Top Bottom