State of the Hobby

I think he was forced into a name change for a while - by psa. Might have nothing to do with it but I remember he had to change the name of his original channel. I learned how to prep psa subs from his videos in early 2019.

Peak prices crashing so much let me pick up my first ever Zion Prizm RC recently, which is still sitting in SMC limbo :lol:

d13c75e5-7c40-452c-8d99-40eec3d838ec.jpg.png

Yeah I definitely had to move some cards to recoup the funds, even though the price was so low. But I only have 5 Zion cards in total now I think, so just watching the sexual drama with the popcorn out :lol:

I once pulled a Zion silver from a retail box just prior to covid. I auctioned it and got $1250. I was stoked.....until I saw that graded copies in PSA10 were going for 4KUSD six months later. The card was definitely a PSA10 candidate.

On the other hand I'm glad I sold it. Not sure what a raw silver goes for today but I doubt it does $1250 anymore.

Very nice Blue Shimmer. With a bit of luck he'll put some games together and regain some faith.

I once pulled a Zion silver from a retail box just prior to covid. I auctioned it and got $1250. I was stoked.....until I saw that graded copies in PSA10 were going for 4KUSD six months later. The card was definitely a PSA10 candidate.

On the other hand I'm glad I sold it. Not sure what a raw silver goes for today but I doubt it does $1250 anymore.

Very nice Blue Shimmer. With a bit of luck he'll put some games together and regain some faith.
A raw Prizm RC just sold for $100US

I didnt buy anything big during the covid card bubble, but damn what a great show it was to watch it. I think the most i spent on an individual card was about $100 for a 97-98 Metal Universe Jordan ungraded base card and i even regret that one.

I wish the NBA sold multiple licenses again like the 90s, competition would help and also bring more innovation I think.

This year it will be interesting to see Wemby play and what his cards do.

I didnt buy anything big during the covid card bubble, but damn what a great show it was to watch it.

I've actually gone the other way, in that the average price of cards I buy has gone UP since the bubble burst. All my biggest ever buys have been in the last 12 months, despite spending way less out of pocket than previously.

I remember someone on here selling a Lebron Chrome RC PSA 10 (I think it was) for like $70k, and just being speechless as to how that card could be worth so much.
EDIT: here it is - https://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/thr...n-james-rookie-rc-111-psa-10-gem-mint.232335/

What a move by that seller though, and what a bloodbath for the buyer.

During the boom I was just in disbelief at the prices cards were selling for, but because I didn't own any of the 'hot' ones, I didn't really get too involved. I just kept chipping away at sets I'd been chasing before the bubble and accepted that "the hobby" was in a financial stratosphere that wasn't where I wanted to be.

I've sold loads of those same cards and sets over the last 12 months for 2x, 5x or even more than I'd originally paid for them, and consolidated a bunch of that cash into bigger cards. Sure I've taken some Ls and sold just to raise funds for other buys, but not getting caught in the insanity meant I wasn't really emotionally connected to prices staying high.

This is still one of my biggest steals that has never even come close to the selling list though :lol:

IMG_3600.jpg

Last edited:
Must be. His base prizm goes for $30 on comc which means you can probably get it on ebay for $25USD. I'm not sure how high his raw base prizm went for but $200USD wouldn't surprise me. Most cards are down 60% -97% from peak. The covid boom was the worst thing that happened to the hobby - unless you already had huge cards which you sold at the top and paid of your mortgage/bought an investment property. The newbies who piled in at the top in late 2020, early 2021 got torched.

I remember selling an MPJ base prizm for $120AUD which must be close to a record. I also bought that card back for $50USD on comc at one point but managed to get rid of it for $40. I've taken some severe beatings from cards I bought in that period.

I didnt buy anything big during the covid card bubble, but damn what a great show it was to watch it. I think the most i spent on an individual card was about $100 for a 97-98 Metal Universe Jordan ungraded base card and i even regret that one.

I wish the NBA sold multiple licenses again like the 90s, competition would help and also bring more innovation I think.

This year it will be interesting to see Wemby play and what his cards do.

I paid 400 for a MJ and 100 for a Pippen

L
O
L

shit happens, doesn’t even bother me. I wanted them and was willing to pay at the time so it is what it is

Last Dance got me good 😌

I paid 400 for a MJ and 100 for a Pippen

L
O
L

shit happens, doesn’t even bother me. I wanted them and was willing to pay at the time so it is what it is

Last Dance got me good 😌
I paid 325 for a PSA 8 during the peak. Was able to offload it for 280ish so didn’t take that much of a hit. It’s a beautiful card in excellent and I loved looking at it.

My soccer purchases in 2020 are up there.

I bought 2018-19 donruss optic soccer at peak. Jaden Sancho raw optic for $60 now worth $4. And a PSA9 for $70 which I sold for $7. Almost every soccer card I bought for my 2018/19 200 card optic donruss set is down by a minimum of 85%. I bought 100 or so base cards for$5- $8 each. Most now go for $0.50.

Soccer was the killer for me - along with Samanic, and Sekou doumbouya from 2019-20 Prizm. Crazy days.

Back
Top Bottom