Select - please go back to gold ink signatures!

crows2010

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Tex
Does anyone know why Select changed from gold ink signatures to green ink signatures in the 2014 Future Force release? What was particularly puzzling was that in the original release, green signatures were on the more common signature cards, not the rarest.

Not only did the gold look much better IMO, I think the green signature has impacted adversely on the value of signatures from the 2014 release. To put things in perspective, a Matt Crouch gold signature from 2013 sold on eBay for $795. That is a lot of money.

Hopefully they go back to gold, it was a puzzling decision.

Does anyone know why Select changed from gold ink signatures to green ink signatures in the 2014 Future Force release? What was particularly puzzling was that in the original release, green signatures were on the more common signature cards, not the rarest.

Not only did the gold look much better IMO, I think the green signature has impacted adversely on the value of signatures from the 2014 release. To put things in perspective, a Matt Crouch gold signature from 2013 sold on eBay for $795. That is a lot of money.

Left over Green Ink from FF 2012 apparently.

Significantly reduced the appeal of the product IMO.

There was no Green ink in 2012? The green signatures were signed in black

Good point. Not sure why I fell for that story then lol.

*edit. Think it might have been more to do with the green ink for printing, not signing.

The reason they had to shift away from gold ink is to do with the gold ink itself. It apparently smudges easily, while Select give instructions to the players signing not to stack the cards on top of one another while drying unfortunately some do not listen. There have been major issues with the signatures smudging, ink on back of cards...etc etc

If such rumour is true, I can certainly understand why to be no more FF releases for the following reasons:

1) Turns out most collectors do not collect Future Force for the limited amounted of boxes and cards quantities, let alone uniqueness for being the only offical AFL card release that's non-league-afl -- it has been overshadowed by "potentials"

2) Too much popularity has been all to do with the league-football club collector, causing Select to hold back such release to later November after national draft rather than first week after grand final - originally to provide some excitement for collectors now season over

3) Apart from the FF siganture cards (in particular in x/40 variants) no one seems to care about the other elements of release, so why not ax such release altogether so reintroduce DPS cards in 2018 series II instead like they did from 1998-2014?

Future Force is a great series and will one day prove to be the most valuable cards made due to its low numbers and uniqueness. Maybe only the Brownlow competition cards from 1996 series 2 will be rarer

Future Force is a great series and will one day prove to be the most valuable cards made due to its low numbers and uniqueness. Maybe only the Brownlow competition cards from 1996 series 2 will be rarer

Mate not sure on that. Alot are struggling to go over $100 for platinums and they lose their value as not in team colours so not all collectors collect them. Plus boxes are only $55 compared to $200 for series 2. The only future force series i realistically seing being extremly rare will br the 2012 /30

Back
Top Bottom