Rookie Cards

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Sean
eBay User
What are everyone thoughts, would you like to see cards designated as a RC like American sports cards are.

Might add a little interest to base cards and maybe some value longer term for those that go on to be stars.
I know plenty of players don't have cards as rookie players but that is exactly the same in the USA, rookie card by definition is the players first card in a mainstream release regardless of if it is their 1st 2nd or 3rd year playing.
With the total lack of value in common cards it might be simple a way to add value and interest to them for collectors.

What are everyone thoughts, would you like to see cards designated as a RC like American sports cards are.

Might add a little interest to base cards and maybe some value longer term for those that go on to be stars.

I know plenty of players don't have cards as rookie players but that is exactly the same in the USA, rookie card by definition is the players first card in a mainstream release regardless of if it is their 1st 2nd or 3rd year playing.
With the total lack of value in common cards it might be simple a way to add value and interest to them for collectors.

I like the idea of adding subsets to a base set like in the old Dynamic days. Select did in 02 Challenge with a Timeless Tribute for each team.

Even the drink coasters AKA Rep Stars would be better suited to the common set.

I was thinking more of just adding a RC logo to the base card like US sports cards instead of adding a rookie subset to the base set.
Would add virtually nothing to production costs and might generate a bit more interest and value longer term.
I wouldn't expect it to increase base card values massively but if we got a situation where a rookie card became worth even $1 after a few years we would be a mile ahead of currently.

they used to do it in the 90s, but the idea never really took off. its just never been a big deal over here. even in the NBL...part of it is probably the relatively small following that state comps have. in the states, college sports can be as popular as their professional counterparts, so people are already huge fans of certain players before they even get drafted.
i imagine the people interested in collecting them already do? i mean, a RC is a RC whether its printed on it or not...

Looking at it from a different perspective - what if Rookies replaced PIF cards each week.
i.e. Anyone who debuted in a round has a limited release card printed.
I know personally I’d rather have a new player featured for my club than the same 9-ish repeated in every release and subset.

Back
Top Bottom