Players who missed their chance...

One from St George / Illawarra that comes to mind was Lee Pomfret who went to my school. Was playing grade at 17 years old back in about 1976

Looked the goods early on but got smashed by Bob Cooper from Wests; broken jaw / nose and never really played again.

Ross

What about Richard Villasanti?

Was killing it - made it on a Kangaroo's tour where he stole money from the other players and for whatever reason was never the same player.

He was eventually exonerated on the allegations but apparently the tag has stuck with him, never able to live it down.

One from St George / Illawarra that comes to mind was Lee Pomfret who went to my school. Was playing grade at 17 years old back in about 1976

Looked the goods early on but got smashed by Bob Cooper from Wests; broken jaw / nose and never really played again.

Ross

It was during a reserve grade game in Illawarra's first season, Cooper was suspended for 18 months and despite being a Origin player only a season or two before his career was over by the time his ban was up, tried to resurrect his career with Norths but it was all over.

Another couple that were plagued with injury and who came into the First grade about the same time with a lot of hype were Matthew Head (plagued by recurring knee injuries) and Brett Firman (broken leg).

Firman's rookie year 2003 was outstanding and they reckon he was a chance at winning the Dally M Rookie of the Year until they were cancelled (shoe in IMO).

Firman's then broke his leg in early 2004 giving Head his chance in First grade and he made the most of it also having a stand out rookie season. This was the reason St George let Firman go even though he was still contracted to the Dragons. Firman went to a few other clubs, helping Cowboys reach their first Grand final never really recapturing his early form.

Sorry for being St George centric but these I remember best.

Artie would easily be Capt of the Pie Eaters XIII. I seem to recall Glenn Lazo could have probably make this squad with Marty Bella and Sam Backo getting a run as well.

Ross

When Daley retired in 2000 he and ET went on a farewell tour called 'The Good Guys Tour'. I saw it at the Southport RSL on the Gold Coast and it was excellent with some great humour. Daley had some cracker stories about big Sam but this one in particular was classic.

The raiders were on a pre season tour of NZ, maybe late 80's and while traveling around on the bus all the lads were trying to pronounce the Maori town names. There was a sign advertising a local takeaway shop and big Sam stands up in front of the bus and says, 'I got this one, it is Tak-e-a-way'. The way Daley told it was very funny so I am probably not doing the story justice but I think it epitomizes the type of character Sam was.

What about that 'Baby Broncos' side of 2002 who beat Wests Tigers 28-14.

Most of them you'd be flat out seeing again.

Broncos: Steve Irwin, Tony Duggan, Brent Tate, Stu Kelly, Elia Tuqiri, Brett Seymour, Scott Prince, Casey McGuire, Ashley Harrison, Phillip Lee, Robert Tanielu, Shane Walker (c), Corey Parker. Subs: Michael Coorey, Ben Czislowski, Nathan Friend, Nick Parfitt, Scott Minto, Chris Kahler, Steve LaCaze (three to be omitted).

Shane Walker played his guts out for the Bunnies in that dreadful 2002-2006 era.

Talking about that era - Paul Stringer - Norths, Northern Eagles, Souths and Para. Touted as a NSW Origin player. Got close in 2002 but broke down if memory serves.

What about that 'Baby Broncos' side of 2002 who beat Wests Tigers 28-14.

Most of them you'd be flat out seeing again.

Broncos: Steve Irwin, Tony Duggan, Brent Tate, Stu Kelly, Elia Tuqiri, Brett Seymour, Scott Prince, Casey McGuire, Ashley Harrison, Phillip Lee, Robert Tanielu, Shane Walker (c), Corey Parker. Subs: Michael Coorey, Ben Czislowski, Nathan Friend, Nick Parfitt, Scott Minto, Chris Kahler, Steve LaCaze (three to be omitted).

Wow Kris Kahler and Nick parfitt, both were in the titans inaugural squad, both could have been more, I think Parfitt has/had a record in Q cup for most games

Also another two of the titans 'could have been' has to go to Jordan Rapana and Jordan Rankin
Rapana left for his Mormon mission and pretty much lost a big chance to be a star he was awesome espically that game against the roosters
Rankin is the youngest player to play Nrl so no need to say more, he should have played a lot better and a lot more at the top level, who knows super league may make him a better player..
So that's 3 Jordans that couldn't make good at Titans, I think we need to stay away from Jordans now :)

What about Beau Henry? He signed with the Knights for 2011, played very well in our first few games, then sprained an ankle, we signed Bennett as coach for 2012, and he was shipped off to the Titans.

Barely seen him in first grade there, but I did see him in a televised Queensland Cup game a year or two ago and he was terrible! :eek:

Kris Khaler went to Canberra in 2004 and from what I remember was fairly solid from the bench. I think he is in France now.

Steve Irwin scored a double for Brisbane on debut and went to Canberra but never played first grade. He was in the car when Carney ran from the Police and claimed he was told to lie to protect Carney.

Another Bronco turned Raider who never really lived up to his potential was Craig Frawley.

Back
Top Bottom