Official Tap N Play 2017/18 Ashes Release Thread

I just did my usual run of newsagents and again no Ashes cards. Two of the owners of the stores were in and advised that they wouldn't be ordering any because the new distributor was dearer so less profit margins and they won't accept returns. Can you shed any light on this @220 ?

If this is the case then it just continues the disappointing run of issues this releases continues to have. I was very excited about this release but that has now diminished significantly. I am aware I can the 5 packets with free shipping from TnP direct which is the same as I would be paying from a Newsagent but there is something about choosing your own packets that adds to the excitement of the hobby.

Hopefully someone in Brisbane stocks them!

I believe...

G&G was sell or return. Which meant after 3-6 months, TNP were returned with unsold stock so they didn't know there true $$$ position / sales figs until after the summer.

The new distribution sees agents purchase stock outright and have to sell. Any packets/boxes left over, will need to be put on sale, dumped or destroyed or written off as dead stock at the end of the summer. This way, TNP know up front what has been sold.

I just did my usual run of newsagents and again no Ashes cards. Two of the owners of the stores were in and advised that they wouldn't be ordering any because the new distributor was dearer so less profit margins and they won't accept returns. Can you shed any light on this @220 ?

Im only going of the order form GNS emailed us but this is copied and pasted from it.

"SALE OR RETURN TO GNS CUSTOMERS"

Margins are pretty much identical to cards through G&G.
The other big advantage for us and it should be the same for everyone is order times. G&G are 2 weeks from order until delivery, GNS are next day.
No need to project what you might sell in the next 2-3 weeks when if you run out you can have more stock in 1-2 days.

To give you an example I ordered stuff from GNS Wednesday, I had it yesterday afternoon. I ordered a magazine we don't stock for a customer yesterday, it will be added to our twice weekly G&G deliveries and should arrive 28th Dec. Cards from G&G were the same when ever I ordered additional it was normally 2 weeks before we received them.

I believe...

G&G was sell or return. Which meant after 3-6 months, TNP were returned with unsold stock so they didn't know there true $$$ position / sales figs until after the summer.

The new distribution sees agents purchase stock outright and have to sell. Any packets/boxes left over, will need to be put on sale, dumped or destroyed or written off as dead stock at the end of the summer. This way, TNP know up front what has been sold.

And as a result no one is stocking them. I have spoken to dozens of newsagents - half no nothing about the cards and several of the big newsagents that stock elite NRL ($7.99 a pack NRL release) and they said they never order anything "it just arrives" I assume this is like a franchisee and head office does it all.

Anyway net result is no one at all is stocking it in western Sydney. Like Brendan has said, I like going in and buying a pack here and there, or grabbing some at the servo when filling up petrol. (BP are apparently getting them however again none now and they don't know anything about it).

They may show up some time after the ashes and I guess good news for us is the excitement will be gone and we can probably end up picking up packs at heavily discounted prices when no one buys them....

The other aspect to this is less availability less chance of trades. Another favourite aspect of collecting is being able to trade for what you need and help others achieve goals

several of the big newsagents that stock elite NRL ($7.99 a pack NRL release) and they said they never order anything "it just arrives" I assume this is like a franchisee and head office does it all.

G&G allocate cards to retailers if they want them or not.
From personal experience it can be a nightmare to try and get stock if you aren't allocated them. Last years cricket release I contacted them more than 2 months before the release date to try and secure a allocation, didn't receive any and despite trying to order them still hadn't seen anything a month after the release. Wasn't until I contacted Neil directly that we finally received some cards.

Early on I would have said the smith POTS would be worth around $200. That was when we all thought there were 100 player of the series cards, with it looking like the wildcard Pots also redeems regardless of who wins making it 200 cards I thought $150 might be the upper end.
May well be wrong as I listed a Smith Pots on ebay yesterday at $150 buy it now and it sold in 2 hours.

Added this via some one on fb. Quite happy about it.

Screenshot_20171231-091755.png

I think it will also depend on how good the card looks

Will the card be numbered to 100 to match the Smith and 100 for the wildcard?

Or will they be combined into /200 for the entire production run?

I think it will have to be the former to relate the the predictor number

Was on GNS's site yesterday ordering a bit of stuff, their site lets customers view what volume they are holding in stock. Had a quick look at the ashes cards, they have less than 200 boxes in stock.
Ashes was a 300 case release, less than 20 cases sitting with the distributor so the rest have to be out there some where.

Was on GNS's site yesterday ordering a bit of stuff, their site lets customers view what volume they are holding in stock. Had a quick look at the ashes cards, they have less than 200 boxes in stock.
Ashes was a 300 case release, less than 20 cases sitting with the distributor so the rest have to be out there some where.
Well they are not in newsagents that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom