Official 2017/18 Tap 'n' Play BBL Trading Cards Thread

How has everyone found collation of these cards?

In one box, inserts were spot on ratios, however I was well short of a common set, with triples of some cards.

My second box I got a full set of commons with spares no triples of any cards. With the inserts, it was way off. No Young Stars (supposed to be 1 in 18, so 2 a box). I got 6 duos (supposed to be 1 in 9, so 4 a box). Of the duos there were 2 thunder duos in the one box.

I also have a mate that has opened over 100 packs accross three boxes and is yet to get a fireworks card (supposed to be 1 in 24 packs).

I haven't seen these in newsagents up here either!!

Hopefully next week. I will miss grabbing a couple of packets from the servo when I fill up as I don't think GNS will supply them.

How has everyone found collation of these cards?

In one box, inserts were spot on ratios, however I was well short of a common set, with triples of some cards.

My second box I got a full set of commons with spares no triples of any cards. With the inserts, it was way off. No Young Stars (supposed to be 1 in 18, so 2 a box). I got 6 duos (supposed to be 1 in 9, so 4 a box). Of the duos there were 2 thunder duos in the one box.

I also have a mate that has opened over 100 packs accross three boxes and is yet to get a fireworks card (supposed to be 1 in 24 packs).
I think it sucks when you buy a box and don't get a full common set and only seems to happen with tapnplay can some one on here please explain why or is this another bad tapnplay problem more and more I read and hear is turning me of collecting cards which I have done for many a year but for me the fun has gone out of it havnt being able to buy packs anywhere but on website?
For me half the fun was being able to buy packs 2 packs there and 2 packs around the corner hoping for that hit and they don't seem to get it right it seems like there is no planning and everything is done in two weeks you would think they would be working on next years lot now insuring they are ready in time
This is 2 years in row now being late
Go figure!!!!

The distribution in previous years hadn't been horrible but inconsistent with both timings and locations. That being said I am sure the location factor is reliant in the distributor and not TnP.

One issue that has been consistent is the damage to cards straight from the packet. In the 15/16 release I couldn't buy a packet that didn't have dinged corners.

Without having intricate knowledge of the productions processes, costs, license info etc it is hard to make an overly informed comment. I do feel though that TnP are trying to make too much money too early instead of producing consistently good products that are well distributed at a more reasonable price this building a better customer base.

I was so excited about the Ashes release and have been quite disappointed.

it seems like there is no planning and everything is done in two weeks you would think they would be working on next years lot now insuring they are ready in time
This is 2 years in row now being late
Go figure!!!!

I think your right but I also think it is partially down to the nature of cricket.
Look at the current Aus team against the team that played the last test in India, not much more than 1/2 the team left. Seems to be lots of player movements in BBL as well and lots of them late.
It would make it nearly impossible to actually start card printing months in advance, card design etc could be set well in advance but unless you want insert cards to be the same small group of core players year after year and plenty of players not in their current teams then leaving it late seems the only solution.
I agree the delays are frustrating, pretty much a month after the advertised BBL release date before any cards hit the market. We still haven't received any and we have ordered directly from TnP. They do seem to have more issues than most, delays in printing, shipping issues, customs delays, this year the change in distribution on top. Personally I think the distribution change may well end up being for the better but on top of the other issues it hasn't helped this year.
For a small time retailer like us it is frustrating, we have missed the hype and build up to the start of the BBL season, we have missed the Christmas present market, only shut Christmas day and boxing day new year period usually sees kids with money they are looking to spend. No card yet so we will have missed it as well.

Last edited:
I think your right but I also think it is partially down to the nature of cricket.
Look at the current Aus team against the team that played the last test in India, not much more than 1/2 the team left. Seems to be lots of player movements in BBL as well and lots of them late.
It would make it nearly impossible to actually start card printing months in advance, card design etc could be set well in advance but unless you want insert cards to be the same small group of core players year after year and plenty of players not in their current teams then leaving it late seems the only solution.
I agree the delays are frustrating, pretty much a month after the advertised BBL release date before any cards hit the market. We still haven't received any and we have ordered directly from TnP. They do seem to have more issues than most, delays in printing, shipping issues, customs delays, this year the change in distribution on top. Personally I think the distribution change may well end up being for the better but on top of the other issues it hasn't helped this year.
From a small time retailer it is frustrating, we have missed the hype and build up to the start of the BBL season, we have missed the Christmas present market, only shut Christmas day and boxing day new year period usually sees kids with money they are looking to spend. No card yet so we will have missed it as well.

They do encounter these issues.....in most cases redemption cards for signatures are needed as the players are usually overseas just prior to the season starting and signing sessions are usually done after pack out has started.

In terms of the BBL the team lists are always being updated right up until the start of the season. In some cases players are known months before hand but the teams have yet to officially announce them or have photos with them in the new gear. In some cases players have to be photo shopped into new jerseys.

One player once sent his team a photo of him in his new jersey while he was having a BBQ at his house. The look of him with Tongs and Beer in hand was not really a great image to be used in promotional material! True Story.

In the past, the sets have been created 9-12 months in advance but a lot can change between then and when the product hits the shelves.

The biggest issue it seems this year is distribution and quality control which are things that are in control of the manufacturer and should be 100% right before the product goes out.

Cheers
Matt

A lot can change in cricket in just a few months, so agree that they probably leave it until the last minute to try and get as much right as possible, but then if they have any production or distribution issues it creates major headaches for TNP and also sellers and collectors. For example, in the Ashes release there are exactly 2 Tim Paine cards to collect, T20 common and gold parallel of the same card. As for Matthew Wade there are 2 commons, 2 gold parallels, an Ashes Rivalries, and a signature card. Yet Tim Paine will keep for all 5 tests and Wade won’t even play in one test.

I think people can accept player changes etc but not being able to buy in newsagents etc players sigs etc
You would think in this day and age that players cards not signed etc should not happen

Is the BBL distributed the same ways as the ashes? If so I wouldn't be holding your breath for your newsagent to get them. Would be contacting @Diggaz TC to get some. He will look after you.

Does anyone know of any other sellers that I can get some cards urgently. Tried to PM Diggaz a few times but not getting much of a response.

Bancroft as well.

What about the predictors - Joss Buttler, Ben Stokes and Matt Renshaw haven't played a game.

Signatures - Wade, Renshaw and Lanning all haven't played a game.

At the time this release was put together, Renshaw/Wade and Stokes were in their respective teams Test 11 and for the signatures Meg Lanning never had a certified signature before and is arguably one of Australia's greatest female players who played her last game for Australia in July 2017 before an injury put her out of the game.

Cheers
Matt

At the time this release was put together, Renshaw/Wade and Stokes were in their respective teams Test 11 and for the signatures Meg Lanning never had a certified signature before and is arguably one of Australia's greatest female players who played her last game for Australia in July 2017 before an injury put her out of the game.

Cheers
Matt

I know Matt,

I agree 100% with what you said, was only stating that no matter how late they leave it to release the cards, there will always be anomalies with players injured or swapping teams.

The BBL set was a month late and yet it still included a few of these issues.

Jake Doran is the Thunder Young Star - currently playing for the Hurricanes. Sunil Narine is out for the tournament and has been replaced in the Renegades line up, as has Meg Lanning with the scorchers.

I know Matt,

I agree 100% with what you said, was only stating that no matter how late they leave it to release the cards, there will always be anomalies with players injured or swapping teams.

The BBL set was a month late and yet it still included a few of these issues.

Jake Doran is the Thunder Young Star - currently playing for the Hurricanes. Sunil Narine is out for the tournament and has been replaced in the Renegades line up, as has Meg Lanning with the scorchers.

Big Bash is very hard.....you have about 7-8 players locked in......its all the others yet to come which either happen late or there are no images to be used.

You ideally need to have the players locked away 4 weeks before printing......which takes 4-6 weeks......so you end up cutting it very fine having enough players.....some they have to take a punt on!

In comparison, the AFL rosters are set by end of November so they have plenty of time to have cards designed/printed and only a handful may change until series 1.

Cheers
Matt

Are the signature cards in this set via redemption or inserted into packs? Would be assuming redemption as it would buy more time for TNP but thought I’d check.

Big Bash is very hard.....you have about 7-8 players locked in......its all the others yet to come which either happen late or there are no images to be used.

You ideally need to have the players locked away 4 weeks before printing......which takes 4-6 weeks......so you end up cutting it very fine having enough players.....some they have to take a punt on!

In comparison, the AFL rosters are set by end of November so they have plenty of time to have cards designed/printed and only a handful may change until series 1.

Cheers
Matt

Just realised Wade is in Renegades set and Beau Webster in Hurricanes. They were traded a while back, with Wade playing for Hurricanes and Webster for Renegades.

Back
Top Bottom