nrl proposal.

saintsforever

OzCardTrader
Real Name
david
eBay User
rugbydolltoys
the nrl has released a statement that could be introduced as early as next season, check out this. and feel free to comment.
I myself say what a load of crock, they finnnish on the ladder where they are for a reason.

Under the concept, which was outlined by NRL head of elite football operation Graham Annesley to club CEOs on Monday, the teams finishing ninth and 10th at the end of the regular season would be given a chance to qualify for the finals by beating the seventh and eighth ranked teams.

It is too much trying to keep everyone involved...
Top 4 Semis and Finals early on,
then Top 5 Finals,
then Top 8...
Now anyone form the top 10 have a crack... please... the Pioneers of the game would be filthy!!!

Makes the week to week games so worthless, I am not sure they understand the old saying; less is more.
Why would anyone care when only approx. 10 wins gets you in with a chance.

I'm thinking the timing of this "Proposal" has more to do around diverting discussion back to the game itself rather than the current R18+ video releases emanating from a Western Sydney Club I support.

I think its a ridiculous idea to reward more than half the clubs with a potential finals berth!

Why do they always look to change things (outside of growing advertising revenue for the TV stations with extra games) instead of sticking with whats worked.

I know a few older folk who have given up watching as the game is becoming more and more complicated.

Leave it as it is......only last year the difference between most of the top and bottom clubs was only a handful of points.....isn't that exciting enough?

Considering the raiders and the tigers who finished 9th and 10th lost more games then they won it’s a stupid idea . Maybe instead of the spoon give they should get a new car each?? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

May as well let last and second last play against 1st and 2nd - winners go straight to the GF and no need for other finals.

At least that way Manly might get a game after the regular season finishes :ermm:

Last edited:
I'm thinking the timing of this "Proposal" has more to do around diverting discussion back to the game itself rather than the current R18+ video releases emanating from a Western Sydney Club I support.

I think its a ridiculous idea to reward more than half the clubs with a potential finals berth!

Why do they always look to change things (outside of growing advertising revenue for the TV stations with extra games) instead of sticking with whats worked.

I know a few older folk who have given up watching as the game is becoming more and more complicated.

Leave it as it is......only last year the difference between most of the top and bottom clubs was only a handful of points.....isn't that exciting enough?
Just saw a vid of one of what the poster thought was one of the panthers leaderships groups female friend, I hope it isn’t real though, their phones must be getting hacked or something

They had a segment on the sounding board podcast about this. The typical media theory behind it is you release somethi

on the sounding board podcast with Hutchy and Damien Barrett (Yes AFL/ General sport) they said the exact same thing, also stating that there trying to Americanise the Australian sports.

This goes back to a study the AFL did when they moved to 18 teams.

There was an argument that fans of teams esp those of "traditional " terms complaining that winning a comp was now so slim it was once in a generation and fans and kids gravitated to teams with sustained success.

Next minute Tigers and Bulldogs won comps fuelling a conspiracy theory.

I for one don't buy the gifted premiership theory in either AFL or NEL. But it is a cut throat money business where if you dont do well for a while it affects your TV spots which affects your reach in to market and ability to woo sponsors fans and members and crowds.

In AFL there is a lot of chat that 18 is too many and 12-14 is the right number. A bit like the NRLs 14 back in 1999/2000. Who knows?

On NRL...I can't see a 17th or 18th team in short term. I see relocation or reallocation of licences to Perth, Brisbane 2 or NZ 2. Even Adelaide. For a national comp.

As for finals...a Top 3 with 4 and 5 being wildcards. Hmmmm...very retro. But sometimes less is more.

Might as well have a 26 week preseason comp and then a public vote for teams to play in the finals.
Bit like the carry on about Hurricanes missing the BBL final, no doubt disappointing for their fans but when you only win one out of four of your final games you havent earned it.

this coming into being would really annoy me. as much as I want to see Parra playing in the finals, if they can't make the top half of the table by the end of the season, I don't want them there - it wouldn't be deserved. as was said above - rewarding mediocrity is not the way to go

Back
Top Bottom