New Select Release December 5 2018 **WOW**

When it comes to Series 1 we need to be mindful that it's only $2.99 a pack. Hence a release with a Brownlow predictor (which I was fortunate to redeem Dusty a couple of years ago...and what a great card it is), I think is fantastic. I do agree though with the comments that we shouldn't take the gloss of something because it's milked over many releases. Therefore, I really do hope for 2019 Series 1 we see

• One level of Brownlow predictor cards, and limited to 3-4 players each club
  • Premiership predictor being a part of series 1, similarly one level (i.e. no silver & gold). If this means you only get one player signing...so be it.
  • I'd also love to see some of the older inserts make a little comeback...mascot gem cards and sketch cards. This would replace likes of A-graders and starburst variants (though I doubt this as clearly starburst looks to rival the teamcoach star and magic wildcards for the younger collectors)
For Series 2, the last 2-3 years have been very good releases. In 2016, we saw the return of the guernsey cards and addition of Footy's Finest. In 2017, this was complimented by the surprise inclusion of Influential card (and of course a Richmond premiership predictor :D). Then last year we got the return of an all time favourite in the draft pick signature, and had the special Ablett dual signature as a surprise. Personally, I think 2017 Certified and 2018 Legacy are two of the best releases in the last 10 years. So all this requires is minor tweaks, for example

• If retained, Future Hall of Fame let's just keep this to recently retired players (and where player spent majority of their time e.g. unlike Luke Hodge card). How good would this card be if it had the Footys Finest look and feel rather than what we got in Legacy
  • Certified Signatures some of the player selection could be improved
  • Like last two years keep up the surprises...with these it's always striking the balance between being all clubs inclusive (2017 Influential) or a genuine limited high end card (like Ablett dual signature) . I'm ok with the latter (even if not my club) as helps the release retain great value.
Only question which remains is whether there will be a 3rd release, or the Regal greats of the game equivalent will some way be incorporated into series 2. I'm tipping three releases for this year.
Agree with a lot of the above, wish they would cut down on the players for BPs, as realistically, a lot of them are just not a chance, and have had a few players comment on this when they see the card, which is amusing. Premiership Predictors in Series 1 makes more sense as it keeps interest from the start of the season vs later when most clubs are ruled out.

good post mate!

i agree, brownlows reduced to 4 players and premiership predictors. would love to see starburst around again and gem cards would be good. but have to remember 2.99 so let's not get carried away lol

series 2 I am hoping we see the end of certified sigs as they were good at first but it's clear that select can't afford the best players and this often means we are left with questionable choices. I love dps and thibk with future force gone they are here to stay.

something out of box but i would love to see would be equivelent of future hall of fame but make it past hall of fame with a few older hall of fame players from each clubs. that or a high end insert to celebrate the coaches of each club.

I think the third release will be the AFL eqvilent to the latest NRL release: Glory. The top ends of this third release will probably if not certainly not be applicable to expansion clubs however I do feel confident a second high end to the top ends will be accounted for all 18 clubs in some consolation concept one way or the other.

Last edited:
good post mate!

i agree, brownlows reduced to 4 players and premiership predictors. would love to see starburst around again and gem cards would be good. but have to remember 2.99 so let's not get carried away lol

series 2 I am hoping we see the end of certified sigs as they were good at first but it's clear that select can't afford the best players and this often means we are left with questionable choices. I love dps and thibk with future force gone they are here to stay.

something out of box but i would love to see would be equivelent of future hall of fame but make it past hall of fame with a few older hall of fame players from each clubs. that or a high end insert to celebrate the coaches of each club.
Would you like to see Guy McKenna as a Sun's coach in such context? LoL or in other words you would be accounted for gold coast and GWS?

So 🌟 bursts again? This time in the colours of navy (back end); silver/platinum/white out of 600; pink diamond out of 200 and sky blue as the starter pack variant? Giants players: Davis, Hopper, Whitfield and Tomlinson?

I'd be hugely disappointed if they got rid of certified signatures. I suspect there are more duds from the DPSs each year, then from the certified cards. I'm not sure that Select can be blamed for players changing teams and there are plenty of players who are fan favourites, even if not big names to the wider competition. I think the current mix of signatures is pretty good, and if they manage to get some retired players into a third release each year, that would be even better.

What I'm now expecting from series one ATM:
Holographic cards; 1 per pack
🌟 bursts Navy Blue; 1:3 packs
Milestone Game cards; 1:6 packs
Women's (90); 9x per club; 1:9 packs
🌟 bursts platinum white /600; 1: Box
Brownlow predictors (73); 1:2 boxes
🌟 bursts pink diamond; 2 per case
Premiership predictors /100; 1:case

Last edited:
I'd be hugely disappointed if they got rid of certified signatures. I suspect there are more duds from the DPSs each year, then from the certified cards. I'm not sure that Select can be blamed for players changing teams and there are plenty of players who are fan favourites, even if not big names to the wider competition. I think the current mix of signatures is pretty good, and if they manage to get some retired players into a third release each year, that would be even better.

fair call but the values of the certified sigs are just tanking every year and I suspect it's because people have lost interest in them. getting 25 for a good teams one is a decebt effort this year. I just think they have lost their shine!

maybe just re name it or a new concept

fair call but the values of the certified sigs are just tanking every year and I suspect it's because people have lost interest in them. getting 25 for a good teams one is a decebt effort this year. I just think they have lost their shine!

maybe just re name it or a new concept
Current Star signature or something: perhaps one per club and each card numbered no more than a hundred - two draft pick signatures (36) @1:box and one current star sig @1:3-4 boxes?

what do we think of the design fellas? personally, I think it’s an awesome look for the common cards - the number on the side is a nice touch, and it just looks pretty slick all round I reckon!

0763924C-F3B1-4CE8-B80F-173C40900149.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom