My 2020/21 Cricket box busted - plus my review

BLOWN8

Such is life!
Real Name
Darren
eBay User
dazza_1563
I’ll give my honest opinion and it might not be popular but before anyone has a go at me just remember this is my opinion and I’m entitled to it.
Not the biggest fan of this release but guess it’s a start and it’s a hell of an improvement over the last TNP effort. I don’t like the whole ‘limited to 222’ on the back of cards, if they are limited they should be individually numbered. What I thought I loved the most were the Ruby Mojo cards, but in hand they are a bit of a let down. The red background needs to pop a bit more so they stand out. They are nice but could have been great. I was thinking more of a red foil like the red parallel cards from AFL Future Force a few years ago, but they are a bit flat. A foil sig limited to only 222 and not numbered misses the mark. The Startoons are the nicest looking cards here, but I’ve never like caricature cards, even dislike the AFL ones. That’s just my personal dislike. Didn’t think I would like the Street Art cards as I thought they looked messy, but in hand I kinda like them. The rest of the inserts are so so. I do like the 1 per pack parallels, the black borders like great. Didn’t hit one but the sigs are very nice looking in pictures and think they probably save this release for me. And don’t get me started on the albums 😬
All in all it’s a start for these guys, I hope onwards and upwards next year.
I’m still chasing the Hurricanes Ruby Mojo set so will trade any I’ve got for cards I need.

AB4A5625-E440-4615-9EBB-316D3D550CF0.jpeg

22336D3B-B33F-4779-84FD-248A1FDF7F05.jpeg

I don't mind the "limited edition" cards not being individually numbered, where there are more than 100 of them. Anything under 100 in total, and i would want them individually numbered, like the Ruby cards and Young Gun Blacks. I have heard others voice the same opinion as yours - "Limited needs to be numbered". I'm not there on that issue - but i can see why some are.

As a rugby league collector, i "recognise" almost all of these designs, and that was a bit of a disappointment to me. I recognise the timeframe to get these to market was very short, so this was the only way it could be done. In the future i hope that TLA Cricket gets some of their own designs.

I actually love the design of the Young Guns - White, Black and Priority. They are a standout in this release for me.

And i love that women receive such great representation in this set. Around 1/3rd of the common cards, and the inserts look to be roughly a 50/50 split.

One thing that really bugs me with TLA is ... SPELLING!!! "Pheobe" Litchfield??? That has to be a real disappointment for her. Her first ever cricket card - and her name is wrong. I would love it if TLA could quality check the names they use before they go to print. It's not just a cricket issue - it happens in their NRL cards too.

Overall, i do like the release. And i am happy to see cricket cards back in the market. Yes there are some issues, but nothing ever comes out perfect.

Back
Top Bottom