Malvern Town Hall - March 21 -

I was unable to attend due to some other commitments but sounds like it was disappointing from an NBA perspective.

I remember the old shows there though always had some good representation of NBA with Cherry, the Eureka guys and Sonny from NSW. But it was always AFL heavy and the NBA numbers were dwindling back then too so can maybe understand why the NBA guys stayed away.

thanks, we actually had a live break planned and a live podcast, and the podcaster didn't turn up and the breaker didn't get his stock! I had the projector and lap top set up for both, and it will be easy to do again next time. As I said earlier there was so much conjecture as to whether we could even go ahead I went to the people I knew first because they would forgive me and understand if it was quieter than normal. I really hope to have at least 5 or 6 dedicated NBA sellers at the next one, plus some Pokemon guys. I've made contact with a few already and given the next Malvern is August there'll be a lot more time. I think a few hoping for NBA items did walk in and out pretty quickly but hopefully they understand and will come back. Some combined publicity would also help. Just hope Covid stays well away and I can concentrate wholly on the event itself rather than bloody Covid protocols. I'd prefer to charge less for admission but the extra staff I needed meant I would have lost money if I hadn't charged what I did. Stay tuned, and hopefully people can work with me rather than slamming the event, and we can fill the hall next time and make it as big as it deserves to be. Keep coming with the feedback because it's appreciated and being listened to

I was unable to attend due to some other commitments but sounds like it was disappointing from an NBA perspective.

I remember the old shows there though always had some good representation of NBA with Cherry, the Eureka guys and Sonny from NSW. But it was always AFL heavy and the NBA numbers were dwindling back then too so can maybe understand why the NBA guys stayed away.
as I've explained in another post I just couldn't get all the NBA guys together, and unfortunately a couple decided to just come along with a heap of gear rather than contact me previously to organise tables. Sonny was keen but not quite ready but he'll be at the next one. Eureka guys were there but didn't have a lot of NBA stock. Some of the shop guys just don't participate. If you know and of the keen sellers get them to talk to me and we'll get them to the August fair

Hi Shane. I'm sorry if I come across as slamming the event. That is certainly not my intention so please don't take it that way.

I was simply just throwing out some ideas for next time, which by the sounds of things, you would have already had covered.

Personally, $5 or $6 for admission is nothing these days which is why I think you have room to charge a little more and include an hour door prize or something. It will help to encourage people to stay around!

Looking forward to the next one in August!

I think it's just great that something was able to go ahead post-lockdown and given the enormously challenging circumstances of people trying to get back on their feet again.

as I've explained in another post I just couldn't get all the NBA guys together, and unfortunately a couple decided to just come along with a heap of gear rather than contact me previously to organise tables. Sonny was keen but not quite ready but he'll be at the next one. Eureka guys were there but didn't have a lot of NBA stock. Some of the shop guys just don't participate. If you know and of the keen sellers get them to talk to me and we'll get them to the August fair

I really hope that they see the feedback here and get down there with the demand. Glad to hear that Sonny will be down, that should be a draw card enough for the NBA guys

Also I should have said in the first post congrats on getting it up and running again, lets hope things are even more normal and not so "covid normal" by August for the next one.

thanks, we actually had a live break planned and a live podcast, and the podcaster didn't turn up and the breaker didn't get his stock! I had the projector and lap top set up for both, and it will be easy to do again next time. As I said earlier there was so much conjecture as to whether we could even go ahead I went to the people I knew first because they would forgive me and understand if it was quieter than normal. I really hope to have at least 5 or 6 dedicated NBA sellers at the next one, plus some Pokemon guys. I've made contact with a few already and given the next Malvern is August there'll be a lot more time. I think a few hoping for NBA items did walk in and out pretty quickly but hopefully they understand and will come back. Some combined publicity would also help. Just hope Covid stays well away and I can concentrate wholly on the event itself rather than bloody Covid protocols. I'd prefer to charge less for admission but the extra staff I needed meant I would have lost money if I hadn't charged what I did. Stay tuned, and hopefully people can work with me rather than slamming the event, and we can fill the hall next time and make it as big as it deserves to be. Keep coming with the feedback because it's appreciated and being listened to
Well done for even taking it on and having a crack. I imagine that you did a lot of work for not a lot of reward. Hopefully you persist and the event gets bigger and better. I'm sure there is a sizeable demand for in person shows in an age of digital everything. The local hobby will benefit with these types of events. Best of luck with it in the future.

Reactions: BJD
ideally you probably need to get actual "card stores" involved from around Australia
I will be trying but often they don't support these events as they see them as competition. Much more time to prepare for the next one and hopefully a Covid free run so there'll be a ton of new things. I literally had less than 3 weeks from confirmation it would go ahead to the event.

Well done for even taking it on and having a crack. I imagine that you did a lot of work for not a lot of reward. Hopefully you persist and the event gets bigger and better. I'm sure there is a sizeable demand for in person shows in an age of digital everything. The local hobby will benefit with these types of events. Best of luck with it in the future.
thanks mate, appreciate the support. The hard work has been done now, and there's plenty of time to prepare for the next one so hopefully the NBA / NFL etc guys jump on board

I will be trying but often they don't support these events as they see them as competition. Much more time to prepare for the next one and hopefully a Covid free run so there'll be a ton of new things. I literally had less than 3 weeks from confirmation it would go ahead to the event.
You done a great job with covid and short notice.
I dont think the stores will see it as competition, they will see it as a way to reach a wider audience.
When you start getting big card stores in, that gives the public confidence that there will be lots of product there, singls, packs, boxes

On a positive note, card shows are back!!

Everyone NBA related I've spoken to sounds like they're going to get around, support and embrace the next one. I'm primarily keen for NBA but have no doubt I'll end up in the AFL folders :lol:

Please please please to anyone attending the next one, don't complain about the prices of NBA cards/supplies/boxes and just support those that do make an effort to provide us with tables of stuff and products to break at the show etc. I for one would rather network, connect and have a conversation with actual people I'm buying my products from.

Back
Top Bottom