eBay LUCKY DAY 1993 The Simpsons Skybox Series 1: Art De Bart redemption *BGS 9.5*

turbon13

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Sean
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143534148443

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hey mate really intrigued by all this. So am I right in saying that this is just the redemption and there aren't many redemptions availiabke as when sent in they didn't return the redemption card just sent out the sketch card?
Or can you explain the situation?

And am I right in saying that th3 redemption is now worth more than the sketch card itself?

Very cool though and amazing prices. U was going to ask to buy until I realised it's value hahahahaha

Hey mate really intrigued by all this. So am I right in saying that this is just the redemption and there aren't many redemptions availiabke as when sent in they didn't return the redemption card just sent out the sketch card?

And am I right in saying that th3 redemption is now worth more than the sketch card itself?

Very cool though and amazing prices. U was going to ask to buy until I realised it's value hahahahaha
Amazing isn't it. Might be worth grading all my old 90's expired redemption cards. lol

Hi Mate,

Yeah that's correct, the card pictured is the one you'd pull from the packs. In 1993/4 you would fill out your details on the card and mail into Skybox and they would send you out a hand drawn sketch card in exchange. It's widely reported/accepted in the community that the sent in redemption cards were destroyed which makes sense for a lot of reasons.

Similar once the redemption period ended in 1994, it's said that Skybox gave away all unclaimed sketch cards that were not redeemed to staff and family etc. At one point making the sketch card population 400 of 400.

The redemption cards sent in estimated range from ~150-200 I think it was.

Redemption cards are easily valued higher than the sketch cards, depends on a few factors, but average guide would say the redemption are double the value minimum.

yeah makes perfect sense! its funny how often the free cards that are given out to kids, error cards or the redemptions that are unredeemed end up being worth more than the cards with which they intend to redeem lol so in essence by the company handing out all 400 sketches they reduced the value of those. and by not returning the redemption cards like afl does they increased the value of those. Very cool mate and something very unique for someone to have in their collection.

doesnt work these days though as all redemption cards are usually sent back with the redeemed card (well at least with the afl)

It probably helps too that this is actually a cool looking card — got a nice image and a cool message.

I have a couple of mid-90s NBA non-redeemed redemption cards and they are just covered in writing so nothing special to look at — can't imagine they are worth a whole lot even though the Skybox one was 1:180packs or so.

Yeah that's correct, the card pictured is the one you'd pull from the packs. In 1993/4 you would fill out your details on the card and mail into Skybox and they would send you out a hand drawn sketch card in exchange. It's widely reported/accepted in the community that the sent in redemption cards were destroyed which makes sense for a lot of reasons.

Similar once the redemption period ended in 1994, it's said that Skybox gave away all unclaimed sketch cards that were not redeemed to staff and family etc. At one point making the sketch card population 400 of 400.

The redemption cards sent in estimated range from ~150-200 I think it was.

Redemption cards are easily valued higher than the sketch cards, depends on a few factors, but average guide would say the redemption are double the value minimum.

I agree with Turbon (above). Three Star Wars redemptions are pictured. I have no idea how many of each were made, but the ROJ widevision redemption must have been common. There were plenty of the 3D cards around (again, probably given away after redemptions expired), and over time I've probably had 10 or so. The Galaxy redemption was very unusual in that it wasn't particularly common, and it depended on which auto you received (some were worth a lot more). The Vehicles set wasn't that popular and was dumped for a relatively short period of time. I have no idea how many were made, but I'm selling mine with the inserts as I didn't value the set. Of the three pictured, I would rate the Galaxy redemption the best as I've never seen another. None of these are anywhere near as exciting as the Simpsons one which this conversation is about. I guess they're worth what you get for them

img338.jpg

img339.jpg

Hi there,

I actually have one of these cards! (see attached pics)

I bought two packs of Simpsons Skybox trading cards back in the day (94, maybe?), found the lucky card, but never got around to sending off for the art card because it was in the US and I couldn't afford the registered post cost at the time (or couldn't be bothered, more likely).

Was going through a box of stuff that's under my bed this evening (found a bunch of Star Wars and Simpsons tazos, too) and found the two packs, complete with unused tattoos, plus the lucky card.

Is it really worth $11,000? My wife doesn't believe me!

IMG-6092.JPG
IMG-6093.JPG

Hi there,

I bought two packs of Simpsons Skybox trading cards back in the day (94, maybe?), found the lucky card, but never got around to sending off for the art card because it was in the US and I couldn't afford the registered post cost at the time (or couldn't be bothered, more likely).

Was going through a box of stuff that's under my bed this evening (found a bunch of Star Wars and Simpsons tazos, too) and found the two packs, complete with unused tattoos, plus the lucky card.

IMG-6092.JPG
IMG-6093.JPG
Why did you tell her.It,s the graded one thats the most valuable.There still a lot of value in yours.

Hi there,

Congrats mate, great find two times over. Card above went for 11k but was best known example of very few in circulation. Agree with what Paul_Ambrey mentioned, feel a lot of value was that it came bgs graded and graded highly.

Card looks to have a bit of damage sadly, but again agree with comment above, certainly always a nice card with value still attached to it. I personally wouldn't grade a card unless it was going to increase its value. With imperfections a grading may detract from value. Check out a penny sleeve and ultra pro touch 55pt.

Appreciate you sharing. Tell wife husband is right as always, card valuable.

Back
Top Bottom