Interesting player movements after NBA trades start 2020

This is huge! I wonder whats going on with Kyrie though???

I am afraid to say nothing is really going on with Irving. This is who he is at this stage and if teams and/or fans have not realised this then they have had their heads in the sand the last few years. He is one of the guys in the NBA with the highest offensive talent level but also the largest number of red flags. (Ironically Harden would also be high on this list though the big difference is Harden does take pride in showing up for games even if his effort only applies to one side of the ball...)

In recent years with Irving this is what you get.

Pros

* Elite offensive player
* Guy with extensive playoff experience and the ability to come up big in those games
* Guy who is respected and liked by senior team mates

Cons

* Below average defensive player (admittedly he is better than the train wreck he was his first 5 or 6 years)
* Will miss significant time to injury in any given season
* Will miss time due to personal reasons (which is fine)
* Will miss time if things are not going his way/does not believe he is getting the attention he wants (not so good)
* Will by pass and undermine the authority of coaching staff to achieve what he wants
* Is a poor communicator who has no interest in operating through the team communication hierarchy (see above)
* Will alienate younger team mates especially other guards

As I say, this is who he is at this stage. He will show up when he wants and that may be tomorrow or it may be in 6 months. Probably even he doesn’t know at this stage.

If the Nets had not discussed this scenario and have a contingency in place then they are very naive.

Back
Top Bottom