Has anybody heard of cards being rented out?

juxedo

OzCardTrader
Real Name
juxedo
Had a crazy thought today. Has anybody ever heard of cards being rented/leased out? Its quite common in other asset classes - paintings, sculptures, cars, music instruments, etc. Could be a way to earn a passive income stream.

Personally i wouldn't hire a card but will hire out the others. The other items you listed i can see how someone would want them for a weekend to cater for an event where with the cards if you hire it for the most part you're just buying it to look at for a bit then packing it away, with a bit of a weird feeling as you will place it in your collection but it's not really a part of your collection. Just my thoughts.

Had a crazy thought today. Has anybody ever heard of cards being rented/leased out? Its quite common in other asset classes - paintings, sculptures, cars, music instruments, etc. Could be a way to earn a passive income stream.
In my opinion the risk far outweighs the reward and as spiderfan said, unlike art, cars etc who wants a card that isn't theirs?? Displaying cards is not really a function/event/party thing. I don't see anyone with a 9.5 Jordan Fleer 86 in their film clips...who would do this other than someone looking to basically pay a portion of the cards value to basically steal it?
Insurance would be near impossible.
The only way I could see someone doing this is almost like a convention of sorts where let's say all the big players in the hobby were going to an International version of Nationals and someone just for pure love of the hobby wanted to display the best of the best for conversation. And let's face it...those who have that kind of coin, already have those kind of cards.

for what purpose would someone need to rent a card? even if you rented it for a card show or something, i cant think of a card that would get people to go along just for a look? not even an opportunity to buy?
seems like a weird idea to me, with no benefits to the renter...

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. I can see many scenarios. I'm not talking about renting to individuals. I'm talking more business focused.
Like paintings, individuals don't rent them. Galleries do, companies do, event and functions do. Same for cards. Companies would be the target market.
Why do companies rent paintings? To impress customers and clients. Especially when they wait in the lobbies, waiting rooms and meeting rooms. Cards would achieve the same function in the right company. I can see talent agencies, sports agencies, tribute functions/events and the likes showcasing high end cards to try and impress clients. Imagine sitting at reception of the agency that represents Jordan and in front of you is a selection of framed high end Jordan cards. That is a memorable moment and would impress clients. I'm talking ultra high end cards worth 100ks each.
Insurance would not be an issue as companies are the target market.
I see lots of sports memorabilia in movies. Take Suits as a quick example. Every time they are in Harvey's office (the main lawyer character) they always show a selection of signed basketballs in the background. And every now and then they even have his character pick up and play with the ball and give reference or comment on the history or player who signed it. Directors could easily substitute signed balls for signed cards.
Anyways, i've written enough. It was just a curious idea I had and thought i'd post it up.

I'm not so sure. I can see many scenarios. I'm not talking about renting to individuals. I'm talking more business focused.
Like paintings, individuals don't rent them. Galleries do, companies do, event and functions do. Same for cards. Companies would be the target market.
Why do companies rent paintings? To impress customers and clients. Especially when they wait in the lobbies, waiting rooms and meeting rooms. Cards would achieve the same function in the right company. I can see talent agencies, sports agencies, tribute functions/events and the likes showcasing high end cards to try and impress clients. Imagine sitting at reception of the agency that represents Jordan and in front of you is a selection of framed high end Jordan cards. That is a memorable moment and would impress clients. I'm talking ultra high end cards worth 100ks each.
I see lots of sports memorabilia in movies. Take Suits as a quick example. Every time they are in Harvey's office (the main lawyer character) they always show a selection of signed basketballs in the background. And every now and then they even have his character pick up and play with the ball and give reference or comment on the history or player who signed it. Directors could easily substitute signed balls for signed cards.
Anyways, i've written enough. It was just a curious idea I had and thought i'd post it up.
for me, balls/bats etc are a different story i think. sports memorabilia is a large enough market for those kinds of things to be interesting to people who arent normally that interested. cards are a small part of an already niche' market.
i cant see it...but i dont understand how half the things that are popular manage to take off, so im not a good barometer.

In this context it makes a lot more sense to me. I still don't know how it would go, but yeah seems far more logical with what you've written above. Could also possibly work in a retail setting even a themed bar.
I just don't think I'd personally want to loan out any of my collectibles or memorabilia, but doesn't mean that many others wouldn't be interested.

Back
Top Bottom