Going to a dozen basketball card stores in Melbourne.

I never ever bought or obtained any boxes when I was a young collector, it was always single packs, maybe 2 or three at the time if I was very lucky. I didn't open my first box until I was like 26!

yup. i remember those days. i lived in a small town north of newcastle and we and 3 card stores. mostly based around NBA cards and id go in there nearly every weekend after cricket and spend up big, about $10, on a couple of packs of whatever was hot at the time. the only time i ever got a box was for christmas. ahhh the good old days, when hitting a jordan base was sick. and all your mates were jealous. haa.

I never ever bought or obtained any boxes when I was a young collector, it was always single packs, maybe 2 or three at the time if I was very lucky. I didn't open my first box until I was like 26!

I'm 13 and I have busted... About 6 boxes and probably 25 loose packs (about 100 if you include AFL :woot: ). The only good card I have gotten is a John Wall Certified RC Jersey Auto /599 from a single pack of Certified! :D

Being from Perth, but knowing Melbourne a little bit I really appreciated both the detail and especially the wise cracks (still chuckling at the M. Bolton reference), and love the memories that flooded back to when I did a "Card Run" into Perth city where we had similar card retailers, but we also had all the local newsagents selling packs as well. At the peak of the hype there was even a Local Card Store located in the northern suburbs (Belridge Shops) about 5 minutes walk from my house.
I was extremely lucky when I was a young pup as my sister worked in a deli where the owners son also loved his NBA cards and he used to talk his dad into stocking NBA cards and we used to go halves in boxes that we were able to get a wholesale prices. I used to spend around $35 for half a box of Skybox or Fleer Ultra etc in the very early ninety's, which makes me feel very old after reading the above two posts, where Josh and Jack would still be around 10 years from being born (urgh).
We in Perth are still very much on the lucky side as we can still do a similar "Card Run" even now, with a trip (now in the car) to WhoDat, then onto A1 Cards and Gaming, then pop into Al's Cards (yes its still there, opposite the bus station) on the way home. And on the weekend there is also the Wanneroo Markets which has plenty to choose from as well. Al's cards just received their delivery of Prizm boxes and are selling them for (make sure your sitting down for this) a bargain basement price of $195 per box!!!

Back
Top Bottom