Footy Stars 2021

I can see them going with 5 and all 5 will sell out due to 1 thing, all the breakers, it’s the way it’s heading, I’m still old school and I like to bust cases/Boxes and sell singles and I have done pretty well doing that but at some point I am going to have to decide if breaks are the way forward for me as right now I have no interest in doing them. Will be interesting to see where it all sits in say 2 years as I can see panini style releases coming

What we can expect from releases this year:

Footy stars/series 1
Brownlow predictors still a highlight as the premiership predictors here where they belong

Perhaps a signature card for first time in 10 years - 1 per club at 1:432 packs thus 1:case

Series 2
Perhaps another round of Guernsey cards as the top end and same design as 16-17 certified Guernsey cards but different players? This would mean release to continue as series 2 in 2022

Alternatively a Coleman medal and/or famous lead goal kicking theme similar to the Brownlow medal one in 2014-15 but on key forwards instead

Supremacy
If same premiership theme:
New insert ideas:
-Premiership captain honour roll
- premiership player and coach careers
- premiership captain and coach careers
- something for Fremantle, gold coast and GWS for being oppressed to this theme

Instead of quad coach signature, a Clarkson signature tribute book to commorate his four premierships along with signatures from key players of those flags - something especially tempting for Hawthorn fans!

I can see them going with 5 and all 5 will sell out due to 1 thing, all the breakers, it’s the way it’s heading, I’m still old school and I like to bust cases/Boxes and sell singles and I have done pretty well doing that but at some point I am going to have to decide if breaks are the way forward for me as right now I have no interest in doing them. Will be interesting to see where it all sits in say 2 years as I can see panini style releases coming

I started in the hobby in the opposite direction, I jumped straight into breaks and as many as I could. As of about 4 months ago or so I have only entered maybe 1 break.

I noticed not only was I spending a obscene amount on breaks because of inflated prices, but I could of used that actual money to buy the cards I wanted. Even saving money if I got the timing correct on the market.

I came to realize the market is now full of people trying to off load cards they had hit in breaks to re-coup costs and I can take advantage of that.

I also didn't even account for the stress/ anxiety I lost in trying to obtain spots, trade teams with other people and watching feeds in the hopes of hitting. I re-found some of my interest in collecting after that.

I started in the hobby in the opposite direction, I jumped straight into breaks and as many as I could. As of about 4 months ago or so I have only entered maybe 1 break.

I noticed not only was I spending a obscene amount on breaks because of inflated prices, but I could of used that actual money to buy the cards I wanted. Even saving money if I got the timing correct on the market.

I came to realize the market is now full of people trying to off load cards they had hit in breaks to re-coup costs and I can take advantage of that.

I also didn't even account for the stress/ anxiety I lost in trying to obtain spots, trade teams with other people and watching feeds in the hopes of hitting. I re-found some of my interest in collecting after that.
It’s a form of gambling and really easy to get caught up in it, I go in breaks myself and like you have spent a fair bit but I did get lucky a few weeks back went in a flawless nba break and hit a card that I sold for $11,000 spot did cost me $350 and could have quite easily got nothing, can see how people get addicted that’s for sure

So based on previous years we should be getting an announcement re this year’s Footy Stars next week (last week of Jan).

Anyone have any inside info about this year’s series?

While they werent at liberty to discuss any details I can all but guarantee we will see more than four releases this year. What this eventually looks like is anyone's guess beyond a series one (retail then hobby shortly after), series two and Supremacy

I'm curious to hear what people think we might see in Footy Stars this year, rather than the going round in circles criticism of Select releasing more sets

While they werent at liberty to discuss any details I can all but guarantee we will see more than four releases this year. What this eventually looks like is anyone's guess beyond a series one (retail then hobby shortly after), series two and Supremacy

I'm curious to hear what people think we might see in Footy Stars this year, rather than the going round in circles criticism of Select releasing more sets
Footy stars
Footy stars prestige
Series 2
Supremacy
Brilliance 2
I think the 1st 4 would be perfect as for footy stars I don’t think much will change as it’s made for the younger generation so will be pretty simple with Brownlow predictors I can’t see it changing too much

Footy Stars set the bar high with Showstoppers last year. I can't see this year's series going backwards in terms of value for money, so expect an equivalent high-end hit that falls one per two cases.

If that's the case I really hope more consideration is given to the players picked. The likes of Danger, Dusty and Tom Mitchell had multiple high end hits last year across Showstoppers/Influential/Dominance/Brilliance.

I'd be picking the likes of Duncan, Sicily and Houli instead from those clubs as established gun players who've never received a high end card.

Footy Stars set the bar high with Showstoppers last year. I can't see this year's series going backwards in terms of value for money, so expect an equivalent high-end hit that falls one per two cases.

If that's the case I really hope more consideration is given to the players picked. The likes of Danger, Dusty and Tom Mitchell had multiple high end hits last year across Showstoppers/Influential/Dominance/Brilliance.

I'd be picking the likes of Duncan, Sicily and Houli instead from those clubs as established gun players who've never received a high end card.

Agree with most of this although I didn't like the idea of a "one per two case" hit. I'm curious whether Select will go with the Showstoppers again as although I don't think that would be a great idea personally, they aren't famous for innovation, particularly in their bread and butter products.

I'd love to see the Brownlow Predictors stripped back to a "club only" type wild card for each team. Focus the design of the card around the club logo instead of a terrible silhouette and offer a small team based consolation prize for losing redemptions. This would also free up the big name players to get cards elsewhere throughout the year at a slightly less saturation point.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Brownlow predictors going back to just one variant and then replace the platinum versions with something else

The high-end hit was a game changer for Select series 1. It actually made the product valuable and kept people buying packs/boxes knowing that the potential hit for a high-end card was there. It's been a very smart move as it's allowed the series 1 product to actually sell out, which you can guarantee not happening if the showstoppers weren't there.

I'm expecting series 1 to remain pretty much the same - loved the implementation of both preimership/brownlow predictors into the set, with hopefully a different high-end card to top it off

Hello Everyone, Just come across this card forum! I’m only a new collector to hobby (April last year). I’m really excited for this years releases! I’m hoping it’s not more than 4 releases, with Supremacy replacing Brilliance this year. As far a Footy Stars 2021 goes I really hope not much changes. Although personally I hope there’s no Die Cut Cards (not a fan). Some sort of Signature would be great.
Cheers
Go Swans

Ok without talking too much dribble:

Series 1 as usual late February and/or early March:
Top ends another round of silver show stoppers and perhaps a new signature concept that's quite high end for a low end release

Series 2: footy stars prestige; late April and/or early May:
Top ends another round of gold show stoppers plus bits and pieces revamped from series 1

Series 3: footy stars platinum; late June and/or early July:
Top end platinum show stopper being an old time legend of each club with exception to Gold coast and GWS having another current star instead if necessary
Further improvements from series 2 and more numbered cards appropriate for punters

Series 4: released in later September; top ends possibly:
Former club Captains who did not sign concept between 2005 and 2018 thus making every AFL captain accounted for since the turn of the 21st century?

-Future hall of fame
- player's ink signature parallel
Series 4 equivalent to dominace

Series 5: supremacy released just before Christmas:
Premiership and finals theme again but with home and away upset folklore for gold coast included

A Coleman sub theme inserted under premiership, finals and season upset concept

Just my guess

Top ends another round of silver show stoppers and perhaps a new signature concept that's quite high end for a low end release

Top ends another round of gold show stoppers plus bits and pieces revamped from series 1

Top end platinum show stopper being an old time legend of each club with exception to Gold coast and GWS having another current star instead if necessary
Further improvements from series 2 and more numbered cards appropriate for punters

Former club Captains who did not sign concept between 2005 and 2018 thus making every AFL captain accounted for since the turn of the 21st century?

-Future hall of fame

Premiership and finals theme again but with home and away upset folklore for gold coast included

Just my guess
I’d love to see DPS variants
/140 First pick per club
/80 Top 10

-Future hall of fame

Just my guess

I can't see them stretching Footy Stars out to three releases. I mean no one would have thought they could make Prestige work so anything is possible but the idea of a platinum Showstopper when most of the AFL elite already has a gold seems like a pretty lacklustre concept. Personally I'm hoping whatever they do with Footy Stars this year they move on from Showstoppers and perhaps bring them back some time in the future

If they bring back FHOF it will be in the next Hall of Fame update which certainly won't be three years after Legacy

Would love to see a low numbered (80 or so) AFLW sig set in Footy Stars.
Would be a great idea to see AFLW incorporated into the first release. Maybe keep footy stars the way 2020 was but add the AFLW in with the potential sigs like 2011 champions. This way its an introduction into the release whilst keeping the main selling points till AFLW has been around long enough to build its foundations like the women's soccer in the US?

Last edited:
Green theme this year

2021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom