Fanatics is the new King of Cards

So they're like every other venture capitalist org?

Not sure what people were expecting.

It's exactly what i was expecting.

Though i get the feeling the Fanatics experience is going to be much worse than Panini. Especially for us here in Aus. We don't matter now and we'll matter even less then.

It's exactly what i was expecting.

Though i get the feeling the Fanatics experience is going to be much worse than Panini. Especially for us here in Aus. We don't matter now and we'll matter even less then.
True.

Those doing SMC type ops will make a pretty penny.

That's great news. Bowman baseball lives on and Topps Chrome is back for football and basketball. I'm stoked to hear that. Best hobby news for ages.

That's going to create some certainty going forward. Excellent.

My two cents on the update...
I would like to see fanatics return the topps brand to the more simple, affordable ranges and avoid burgeoning collector's with over-the-top, over-priced products. That's what I would like to see.

Unfortunately, I can see them bringing out one, possibly two, lower range products with collation standards that mean you have to buy at least two boxes to get a set and everything else will be over-the-top, over-priced stuff aimed at the scourge of our hobby - the investor. Coupled with this, I can also see fanatics doing the very same thing panini are doing regarding parallels and people praising them for it because - technically - topps has returned to our hobby.

Regardless of what we think of panini from a collecting point of view both good and bad. One thing you can't deny is that as a business they have done their job creating minimal costs and maximum profits.
I cant see any reason why fanatics would change that model it doesn't make any sense.
Also most of the mark up etc we get is created by distributors and I dont see them changing their ways while they are making big bank as well.
Also with the hype like buying topps is creating and if they do release any old topps products i dont see them being cheap.

My two cents on the update...
I would like to see fanatics return the topps brand to the more simple, affordable ranges and avoid burgeoning collector's with over-the-top, over-priced products. That's what I would like to see.

Unfortunately, I can see them bringing out one, possibly two, lower range products with collation standards that mean you have to buy at least two boxes to get a set and everything else will be over-the-top, over-priced stuff aimed at the scourge of our hobby - the investor. Coupled with this, I can also see fanatics doing the very same thing panini are doing regarding parallels and people praising them for it because - technically - topps has returned to our hobby.
They will make one or two mass produced cheap brands which will cater to a pure collector/wax buster. It will be available everywhere. However, they will be releasing eyewatering expensive stuff that will be 5x what the most expensive product is now. They are going to target the big money and try to get sportscards to resemble a genuine mainstream investment vehicle. They will also push digital imo.

wont change anything i dont think. except the players seem to be getting better compensation? or are part owners/investors? only glanced over the article.
fanatics bought it because its basically a license to print money. theyre not going to change a winning formula for the benefit of the collectors. especially since we've proven too often we will buy whatever they release...even praise them for it.
the only way to get a better range of prices with creative designs and new ideas, is through competition. this is like coca-cola 'competing' with sprite.
in saying that, it wont stop me collecting.

Last edited:
wont change anything i dont think. except the players seem to be getting better compensation? or are part owners/investors? only glanced over the article.
fanatics bought it because its basically a license to print money. theyre not going to change a winning formula for the benefit of the collectors. especially since we've proven too often we will buy whatever they release...even praise them for it.
the only way to get a better range of prices with creative designs and new ideas, is through competition. this is like coca-cola 'competing' with sprite.
in saying that, it wont stop me collecting.

I think the biggest thing they'll do is cut out the distributors.

I don't think that necessarily makes anything cheaper.

They're gonna look to grow larger. Something that Panini only scratched the surface with.

Should be a wild ride and I'm intrigued to see what Panini does in their last few years in charge. I'd be worried about busting anything with a redemption that's for sure.

I think the biggest thing they'll do is cut out the distributors.

I don't think that necessarily makes anything cheaper.

They're gonna look to grow larger. Something that Panini only scratched the surface with.

Should be a wild ride and I'm intrigued to see what Panini does in their last few years in charge. I'd be worried about busting anything with a redemption that's for sure.
yeah, werent they already in court trying to get out of redeeming? something about consignment sending the redemptions, and thats against some imaginary clause they made up on the spot? might have the details wrong there...

grow larger in what sense? there is a roof to the hobby dictated by the amount of nuts that actually get into it. an even smaller sub-section of that is people who can spend big $$$...?

yeah, werent they already in court trying to get out of redeeming? something about consignment sending the redemptions, and thats against some imaginary clause they made up on the spot? might have the details wrong there...

grow larger in what sense? there is a roof to the hobby dictated by the amount of nuts that actually get into it. an even smaller sub-section of that is people who can spend big $$$...?

Are you really thinking the Hobby is almost tapped out? I would disagree.

Sport is one of the largest products in the world. Soccer is only just getting started. The NBA is growing rapidly still.

Are you really thinking the Hobby is almost tapped out? I would disagree.

Sport is one of the largest products in the world. Soccer is only just getting started. The NBA is growing rapidly still.
im not disputing that sport is a massive product. doesnt mean those fan-bases are also willing to buy cardboard. thats why i mentioned collecting as a small sub-set.
i dont know if its nearly tapped out, but it obviously has a ceiling. just like every sports fan-base. the NBA can only get so big, and i assume you mean soccer in the USA, since football is already massive globally and has a collecting community. but even if the MLS sky-rockets and makes a dent in US popular sports (unlikely), i honestly dont think the interest will go along with soccer cards.
collecting isnt going to somehow appeal to wider audience after 50 years. especially when the masses are being priced out...
just my opinions obviously.

im not disputing that sport is a massive product. doesnt mean those fan-bases are also willing to buy cardboard. thats why i mentioned collecting as a small sub-set.
i dont know if its nearly tapped out, but it obviously has a ceiling. just like every sports fan-base. the NBA can only get so big, and i assume you mean soccer in the USA, since football is already massive globally and has a collecting community. but even if the MLS sky-rockets and makes a dent in US popular sports (unlikely), i honestly dont think the interest will go along with soccer cards.
collecting isnt going to somehow appeal to wider audience after 50 years. especially when the masses are being priced out...
just my opinions obviously.

I said Soccer, but I do mean Football also, not so much the MLS, but everything to do with the game. You might not think cards will take off, but they already are.

Sure it has a ceiling, but what is the ceiling? There are new collectors every day.

So going back to my original point, Fanatics will be looking to grow the Hobby. A company that big doesn't buy in just to keep things the same.

I said Soccer, but I do mean Football also, not so much the MLS, but everything to do with the game. You might not think cards will take off, but they already are.

Sure it has a ceiling, but what is the ceiling? There are new collectors every day.

So going back to my original point, Fanatics will be looking to grow the Hobby. A company that big doesn't buy in just to keep things the same.

I think they’ve found the ceiling in terms of prices - people are broke Now

can’t hurt to have fanatics with more range of cards they can produce though can it ? Bit of competition for Panini - especially if prices are more reasonable

please sirs

I think they’ve found the ceiling in terms of prices - people are broke Now

can’t hurt to have fanatics with more range of cards they can produce though can it ? Bit of competition for Panini - especially if prices are more reasonable

please sirs

I'm not sure I'd call people broke. There's more money being spent than ever before.

There are far more people entering the Hobby than leaving. We're seeing card stores pop up and card shows now. Crazy compared to just a few years ago.

What do you mean competition for Panini? They'll be gone right? They'll be done in the next few years.

Fanatics needs to either buy Panini, or develop their own product. They have Topps. They'll need a lot more.

I'm still holding out for Upper Deck. If Bron and Jordan Autos come back we'll see crazy money entering.

Even if not, the money getting around is wild.

There's a lot happening in the Hobby. If we can call it that any more.

They should be targeting ultra high end. Cashed up investors and the top end of town. Lots of high end China money to be had too!

I think we will see more of these type products.

Back
Top Bottom