Dominance 2020 (series 2) discussion thread

Wasn’t there a year where they did the entire first round of draft picks plus the highest pick for teams who didn’t have a selection in the first round? Off the top of my head I reckon it was 2013 Prime. Seems a pretty good compromise.
Think 2002 elxlusive ... the year of the super draft also??

Not arguing whether one way is right or wrong, but the reason for one DPS per team (as opposed to the whole first round of the draft) is because there is more of a focus on making the release better for Box Breaks - hence the need for an even amount of hits per team.
Hard to make a random box break fair if some teams have signigicantly higher odds of a hit

Always good for team collectors to get the draft signature of their first pick in the draft. Only other alternative (which still doesn’t cater for teams like Freo this year)...is to replace certified signatures so you get two draft pick signatures per team.

Personally I still prefer balance of one sig for draft and one from more established player (key is player selection). Then other rookies covered in rookie card set.

This is also were future force was good...for example Tigers had a heap of high picks in 2017 draft. Though Legacy just had a Higgins DPS. Picked up CCJ, Balta and Naish through FF. However was very expensive exercise as had to collect gold, platinum and green versions...and a Tigers cards come at a price premium

In summary, I love DPS cards and they’ve always been a favorite of mine. Looking forward to seeing the Thomas Dow DPS !!!

i agree..it balances out for all with a D.P.S and a Certified signature. and i hope they continue with the rookie cards. Love the concept of all draft picks getting a card and the continuity of having all the picks year after year.

Always good for team collectors to get the draft signature of their first pick in the draft. Only other alternative (which still doesn’t cater for teams like Freo this year)...is to replace certified signatures so you get two draft pick signatures per team.

Personally I still prefer balance of one sig for draft and one from more established player (key is player selection). Then other rookies covered in rookie card set.

This is also were future force was good...for example Tigers had a heap of high picks in 2017 draft. Though Legacy just had a Higgins DPS. Picked up CCJ, Balta and Naish through FF. However was very expensive exercise as had to collect gold, platinum and green versions...and a Tigers cards come at a price premium

In summary, I love DPS cards and they’ve always been a favorite of mine. Looking forward to seeing the Thomas Dow DPS !!!

The equality is good of each team getting a DPS, regardless of where those players are taken in the draft. It just seems strange that you have a pick 2 who won’t get a DPS, but in some instances there are a pick 40 who do.

I just look to NBA style cards where in a lot of cases the top 30 players taken in the draft have sigs regardless ofwhich team they represent.

I understand the argument for trying to keep value of teams in breaks as even as possible, but I don’t really see why values have to be even..

If my team didn’t have any DPS because we traded our top pick in the draft I’d be ok with that, knowing that some years I might get 2 or even 3 DPS. It all generally evens out.

Just food for thought anyway, the other option would be for select to expand how many signatures they get from the cards. If they had 36 DPS instead of 18, they could halve the numbering and make the cards more sought after, or they could put 2 sigs per box instead of 1. (May affect box price however...)

The equality is good of each team getting a DPS, regardless of where those players are taken in the draft. It just seems strange that you have a pick 2 who won’t get a DPS, but in some instances there are a pick 40 who do.

I just look to NBA style cards where in a lot of cases the top 30 players taken in the draft have sigs regardless ofwhich team they represent.

I understand the argument for trying to keep value of teams in breaks as even as possible, but I don’t really see why values have to be even..

If my team didn’t have any DPS because we traded our top pick in the draft I’d be ok with that, knowing that some years I might get 2 or even 3 DPS. It all generally evens out.

Just food for thought anyway, the other option would be for select to expand how many signatures they get from the cards. If they had 36 DPS instead of 18, they could halve the numbering and make the cards more sought after, or they could put 2 sigs per box instead of 1. (May affect box price however...)

Couldn't agree more. Get the best young players on the dps over having an even team spread. Top 10 draftees should be signing regardless if two or more are from same team. Then have the top draftee from every team not in top 10 so at least every team is represented at least once

Very nice...hopefully great little addition rather than a substitution of higher end insert

Regarding the DPSs, I wish Select would come up with a system and stick with it.

As a Melbourne collector, in the past seven years there have been no DPS for Salem (pick 9, 2013), Petracca (pick 2, 2014), Brayshaw (pick 3, 2014), Oliver (pick 4, 2015) and Weideman pick 9, 2015), but they have had DPSs for Kennedy-Harris (pick 40, 2013), Spargo (pick 29, 2017) and Sparrow (pick 27, 2018).

Future force has filled some of these gaps, but it is not the same as having cards in team colours.

In theory we will be due this year for a DPS for Jackson (pick 3) and maybe Pickett (pick 12), but we could just as easily get neither of them.

I wonder if Select would ever contemplate going back and revisiting some of these lost years.

didnt select "pause" or put the dps on hold for that period,due to gold coast and GWS taking the huge majority of early draft picks?

i'm wrong, select paused DPS from 2015-2017
highly unlikely they will ever consider going back and filling in the "lost years"

Only chance IMO if select decide to revisit that Prime draft concept like in 2013 series 2 after they've done with the captain top end theme, another round of Guernsey card top ends then another hall of fame?

didnt select "pause" or put the dps on hold for that period,due to gold coast and GWS taking the huge majority of early draft picks?
Yer form honours 1 to Legacy.
Regarding the DPSs, I wish Select would come up with a system and stick with it.

As a Melbourne collector, in the past seven years there have been no DPS for Salem (pick 9, 2013), Petracca (pick 2, 2014), Brayshaw (pick 3, 2014), Oliver (pick 4, 2015) and Weideman pick 9, 2015), but they have had DPSs for Kennedy-Harris (pick 40, 2013), Spargo (pick 29, 2017) and Sparrow (pick 27, 2018).

Future force has filled some of these gaps, but it is not the same as having cards in team colours.

In theory we will be due this year for a DPS for Jackson (pick 3) and maybe Pickett (pick 12), but we could just as easily get neither of them.

I wonder if Select would ever contemplate going back and revisiting some of these lost years.
They might, this was done with the “Destiny” signature for the 99 draft I think it was. These signature included lenny hayes, Heath Scotland, McVaig, Ramanaskis, Febby ect (Appologies for spelling) so I guess it could happen again...?

It's possible yes... but i would hope select has moved on to bigger and better fields.
select are cranking out some fantastic desighned cards at the moment, moving foward they want to keep pushing the limit.

Hearing there will be a first off the line type release with an extra box hit for a super low numbered platinum DPS.
If that happens hopefully not as hard to get a box than nrl elite, I could see them only selling through select website for something like that

Back
Top Bottom